Newcastle United vs. Chelsea - 12/11/22 @ 5:30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

13 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Prepare to be shocked mate! I don't think he starts tomorrow. Seems strange considering it was only supposed to be a cold but Howe won't start players unless they're 100%.

He's done it on multiple occasions with Schar, Trippier, Joelinton and Wilson.

7 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Not accusing Wilson of anything, but I do wonder if Howe feels like Wilson will (consciously or sub-consciously) have his head elsewhere for this game, with his first (and likely only) World Cup a week away. When you're as injury prone as Wilson is there must be something in the back of his head that would make him second guess every run/sprint on Sunday. 

When you've got an injury record like Wilson I think it's inevitable that it would be in the back of his mind. His hamstring is liable to go at any time, and that one sprint or stretch tomorrow could be his World Cup dream over (he'll be 34 by the time the next one comes round).

My confidence of a win with Wood instead of Wilson dramatically decreases. I know he scored last week but the drop off in quality is quite steep. 

Can't wait for Isak to return to give us more forward options.

Just now, alexf said:

My confidence of a win with Wood instead of Wilson dramatically decreases. I know he scored last week but the drop off in quality is quite steep. 

Yep, Howe will know this too. That's why I think there's a good chance Wilson starts.

1 minute ago, alexf said:

Yeah, was at the Palace game. No lack of effort from Wood, but we just can't play in the same way with him up there. 

1 minute ago, Rafalove said:

People keep mentioning ASM up front. He’s been wank every time he played there.

While he's not been great his output is alright playing up top. The problem is that he isn't a focal point, the ball will just come back down the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

When you've got an injury record like Wilson I think it's inevitable that it would be in the back of his mind. His hamstring is liable to go at any time, and that one sprint or stretch tomorrow could be his World Cup dream over (he'll be 34 by the time the next one comes round).

His hamstring doesn't seem to be the issue at the minute. 

5 minutes ago, madras said:

His hamstring doesn't seem to be the issue at the minute. 

I'm aware of that. The point was it's basically due to go at any time now and I wonder if subconsciously he'd be thinking one sprint, one stretch tomorrow and that's the World Cup dream gone forever. Could apply that to a lot of players, but especially him given his age and injury record.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'm aware of that. The point was it's basically due to go at any time now and I wonder if subconsciously he'd be thinking one sprint, one stretch tomorrow and that's the World Cup dream gone forever. Could apply that to a lot of players, but especially him given his age and injury record.

It actually highlights how wank the decision was to keep apart the ‘big clubs’ this weekend. Like they just knew who that would involve. Now us and Chelsea have a crucial fixture in what must be the weirdest and most distracted Premier League weekend ever. 

10 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

ASM isn't good up front, but Wood is absolutely fucking shite. 

Wood is better than ASM up front. It's as simple as that. All you need to do is look at the FA Cup game against Cambridge last year. Let's play with a striker where we can't cross the ball. Great idea. 

Edited by samptime29

There’s gonna be such a weird mixture of headspaces in this weekend’s round of PL games. It’ll be hard to call matches as a result.

Some are going to the World Cup and *may* want to hold themselves back. Others have closely missed out and could be extra motivated or maybe within themselves a bit. 

It’ll be interesting to watch how players and managers deal with it all. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is it professional to play 100% or to protect yourself before a really big tournament? :lol:

To play 100%. Not surprised by the Wilson news but let’s hope it is just a ruse.

We pretty much have to play Wood. We no doubt brought him in with the understanding that at the very least he would be 2nd/3rd choice upfront. To not play him when no other player in his position is fit, would be a hammer blow to his confidence and he even scored last week so, there is that.

6 minutes ago, LV said:

There’s gonna be such a weird mixture of headspaces in this weekend’s round of PL games. It’ll be hard to call matches as a result.

Some are going to the World Cup and *may* want to hold themselves back. Others have closely missed out and could be extra motivated or maybe within themselves a bit. 

It’ll be interesting to watch how players and managers deal with it all. 

And in the crowd with it being a half 5 KO.