Newcastle United vs. Chelsea - 12/11/22 @ 5:30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

39 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Wood is better than ASM up front. It's as simple as that. All you need to do is look at the FA Cup game against Cambridge last year. Let's play with a striker where we can't cross the ball. Great idea. 

Aye, the whole reason we went all out for Wood was on the back of that Cambridge game where we had ASM up front. We signed Wood and the way we played and results improved instantly.

To be fair I think ASM played almost in a false 9 role against Norwich last year was it? And it I quite liked the way he was dropping deep and beating a player then playing a through ball. 

However....it was Norwich and also it was an away game which has a natural more counterattack dynamic compared to a home game. 

If Wilson is out then it's gonna be Wood with Almiron and Joelinton/Willock from the left. Let's just hope the rest of the lads are on it and we get runners from midfield to cause Chelsea trouble. 

Really really want to win this game as it feels like abit of a 6 pointer already. 

I would go for this: 

Pope

Trippier.  Schar.   Botman. Burn

Bruno    
        Longstaff.         Willock

Almiron.         ASM.        Joelinton

with Joelinton, Willock and ASM rotating. 

As long as Bruno, Longstaff, Willock, Joelinton and Almiron are the midfield, it doesn't really matter who plays up front. Plenty of goals in that midfield. Fancy Longstaff to actually hit the target and get one with the great chances he's been having recently.

4 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

I would go for this: 

Pope

Trippier.  Schar.   Botman. Burn

Bruno    
        Longstaff.         Willock

Almiron.         ASM.        Joelinton

with Joelinton, Willock and ASM rotating. 

Me too but wood will start and ASM may be benched due to playing midweek

27 minutes ago, alexf said:

To be fair I think ASM played almost in a false 9 role against Norwich last year was it? And it I quite liked the way he was dropping deep and beating a player then playing a through ball. 

However....it was Norwich and also it was an away game which has a natural more counterattack dynamic compared to a home game. 

If Wilson is out then it's gonna be Wood with Almiron and Joelinton/Willock from the left. Let's just hope the rest of the lads are on it and we get runners from midfield to cause Chelsea trouble. 

Really really want to win this game as it feels like abit of a 6 pointer already. 

Sure Joelinton played up top that day

Had a fiver on him scoring 2 or more @100/1 😎

7 minutes ago, jack j said:

Sure Joelinton played up top that day

Had a fiver on him scoring 2 or more @100/1 😎

Nah was wide left. I think we all assumed he would be through the middle before the game. 

It's entirely against Eddie's philosophy to play ASM out of position, when he could play a legit striker who actually scored last week. He's done it once against Norwich once and IIRC he moved players about during that game.

If Wilson is injured he will play Wood and Murphy would be his replacement from the bench.

Willock and Longstaff won't be dropped and Joelinton will play so the team will be this:

Pope

Trippier   Schar      Botman     Burn

Bruno

Longstaff              Willock

Miggy                                 Joelinton 

Wood

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Chelsea play a fairly high line, right? A carthorse like Wood will offer us nowt. ASM can hit them on the break at least. 

Wood can press defenders, ASM won't. Wood can hold up the ball, ASM can't. Wood provides and outball for our defenders, ASM doesn't.

ASM is vastly more gifted than Wood but football is much more complex than simply playing your best players.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

Wood can press defenders, ASM won't. Wood can hold up the ball, ASM can't. Wood provides and outball for our defenders, ASM doesn't.

ASM is vastly more gifted than Wood but football is much more complex than simply playing your best players.

Wood basically done ASMs pressing for him last season.