Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands (Netherlands and Senegal qualify)

Big River

Sunday 20 November

Group A: Qatar v Ecuador (16:00) - BBC

Monday 21 November

Group A: Senegal v Netherlands (16:00) - ITV

Friday 25 November

Group A: Qatar v Senegal (13:00) - BBC

Group A: Netherlands v Ecuador (16:00) - ITV

Tuesday 29 November

Group A: Netherlands v Qatar (15:00), Ecuador v Senegal (15:00) - both ITV

On 17/11/2022 at 17:59, Yorkie said:

Just seen Ecuador's last three results were all 0-0. :lol:

Should be a cracker. Actually really curious to see Qatar tbh.

Linfield beat Qatar in a pre season game if that helps at all 🙂

That Linfield result is a bit of a shocker but it is just a friendly and they've had some decent results over the last few years in competitive games. Winning the Asian Cup and getting to the semis of the Gold Cup. They weren't totally battered in the Copa America either the other year with a draw and a couple of narrow defeats.

Think the biggest likelihood is they'll simply be physically overwhelmed by all three teams in the group. Unless they're sufficiently juiced up like the Russians were.

Edited by ponsaelius

7 hours ago, toon25 said:

I've never not looked forward to an opening WC game as much as this. Absolute fucking farce.

I would love either a 1 0 Qatar win (goal in the second half) or for them to get trounced and spit the dummy out and cancel the whole tournament, close all the stadiums and chuck everyone out of their accommodation.

I'm convinced their interest will be zero once the Qatarie team is out, to go out with 3 good hiding would be glorious. 

7 hours ago, toon25 said:

I've never not looked forward to an opening WC game as much as this. Absolute fucking farce.

Russia v Saudi Arabia four years ago wasn’t exactly one to watch.  Which is why I didn’t. Nor South Africa v Mexico in 2010.  I didn’t watch that either.

I don’t think I’ve watched all the games (well, obviously other than the final group games which are played concurrently) since 1998.  Didn’t bother getting up for England v Nigeria in 2002.

2 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that circumstance will conspire for Qatar to somehow qualify from their group to be honest, hope I'm wrong and would prefer to see them get hammered by Ecuador now but Ecuador don't really do hammerings

Qatar is a decent side, has had decent results in the last two-three years. But no way they survive this group. Should finish with 0 points. 

1 minute ago, Flip said:

Qatar is a decent side, has had decent results in the last two-three years. But no way they survive this group. Should finish with 0 points. 

I mean yeah that's obviously the logical conclusion but this is not really a logical World Cup and I can honestly see it happening, they're going to be best acclimatised to conditions and are pretty much guaranteed sympathetic referees

1 minute ago, Dandy Man said:

I mean yeah that's obviously the logical conclusion but this is not really a logical World Cup and I can honestly see it happening, they're going to be best acclimatised to conditions and are pretty much guaranteed sympathetic referees

All the sympathy money can buy