Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands (Netherlands and Senegal qualify)

Big River

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Feel for Ecuador like. Shame either one of them and Senegal had to go out, enjoyed watching both teams.

Aye. I thought Ecuador could've pushed for a winner against the Dutch who looked vulnerable.

Senegal without Mane and Gana Gueye is a much weaker team. A full strength Senegal side would've been a major dark horse for the QFs/SFs imo. Without them in the R16, I fear for them.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Ecuador are well-organised but lack the players to chase a game, really disappointing performance after Koulibaly’s goal.

It was more than mindset from the start. Sitting back doesn't suit them nor most of the mid-ranking teams. Ecuador, Ghana, Senegal etc. have all been at their best with a slightly higher block and more aggressive press. Senegal pressed higher at 2-1 and kept the ball better rather than sitting in.

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Senegal, then. Shame we have to play them; always one of my favourite international teams. Soft spot after 2002, always loved the kit, Ba and Cisse, Diame, Beye. Amdy Faye.

Not guaranteed yet. 1/6 to top the group, 4/1 not to. They certainly should, but maybe not quite as nailed on as you'd hope / expect.

Imagine Iran topping the group after losing their first match 2-6 [emoji38]

So it's either Netherlands at 3pm on Saturday, or Senegal at 7pm on Sunday.

Edited by Paullow

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

Probably gotta better chance of reaching the semis if they finish 2nd. Getting smashed off France if they reach the last 8 finishing 1st

If we finish second, at the moment isn't it Netherlands, possibly Argentina, followed by one of Spain or Brazil to reach the final?

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If we finish second, at the moment isn't it Netherlands, possibly Argentina, followed by one of Spain or Brazil to reach the final?

Aye. I'd fancy their chances more against Holland and Argentina than Senegal and France tbh

Presuming Argentina beat Poland that is