Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

1 hour ago, Magpie said:

Shite at the actual football side though aye?

Well no I wouldn’t say he’s “shite”, given that he’s delivered literally the best results in our history bar Alf Ramsey. The “football side” involves many aspects. One of those is tactics, at which I think he’s limited and unadventurous. Another side is man management and player development, at which I think he’s rather good. Sometimes opinions can’t always be packaged into one word, despite our intellectually stultifying and monosyllabic button-bash culture. 

Just now, astraguy said:

other nations are doing it and i doubt its a southgate idea 

Cool. I’m still going to credit him as a decent person whose views on life are pretty spot-on and who has used his platform to promote positive change and messages of hope. 

I know the narrative is now not to rate him because England are in a bad run of form (and it’s anti-narrative to point out that this was arguably caused by ludicrous fixture congestion, injuries and experimentation), but I still like and back him. 

Is there a source for your doubt that it’s a Southgate idea?

4 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Cool. I’m still going to credit him as a decent person whose views on life are pretty spot-on and who has used his platform to promote positive change and messages of hope. 

I know the narrative is now not to rate him because England are in a bad run of form (and it’s anti-narrative to point out that this was arguably caused by ludicrous fixture congestion, injuries and experimentation), but I still like and back him. 

Is there a source for your doubt that it’s a Southgate idea?

Nope just seen others doing so,Do you have a source that connects it to southgate ?

26 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Nope just seen others doing so,Do you have a source that connects it to southgate ?

Yes, the video of him leading and directing the session. 

You seem to have extrapolated that I think he designed the whole thing from me saying he’s my favourite manager because he’s clearly decent. At no point did I say I think he came up with the idea. It seems that you’re trying to make something from nothing to fit a narrative in your own thought process, which you’re of course welcome to do. Just seems quite spiteful and needlessly negative to try and lessen the value of Southgate’s actions and work by saying, in essence, “well others are doing it too so he’s nothing special”. Some of us are allowed to find positivity where there is obviously positivity.

And, I should add, it was your point to say “I doubt that it’s a Southgate idea”, for which I’ve asked you to provide evidence, of which you have none. By comparison, I’ve not said “what a great idea by Southgate” or indeed credited him with coming up with idea. My comment was merely to say I like him because he’s a decent man, which for some reason seems to get to you. Each to their own!

If Southgate decides to be a bit more bold and not rely on previous tactics, I'm sure we'll win this. 2-0 England. (Not ruling out another embarrassment though!)

USA v Wales - The Welsh will be fired up for it but I just don't know if the USA are more of a cohesive unit these days? 1-1 draw?

Its actually hard to call the outcome of the USA vs Wales game, they seem like they'd be evenly matched, its probably on of the more intriguing games of the opening round, that along with Mexico vs Poland.

Just now, 54 said:

Its actually hard to call the outcome of the USA vs Wales game, they seem like they'd be evenly matched, its probably on of the more intriguing games of the opening round, that along with Mexico vs Poland.

What do you mean, I just did.

5-1.

13 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Anyone watching this in pub tomorrow? Two minds wether to watch in Low Fell or head into town. Anyone about?

My nephew and his pals have paid 7 quid a head to go to that wonderbar in the gate.

Never get my head around paying to sit in a boozer to watch football on the TV. Probably be plastic glasses and full of nackas and students as well

25 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Might be keen to watch. Off tomorrow and at a bit of a loose end. Other plan was just to watch at home.

Could meet somewhere with some decent screens if you fancy but ain’t paying to get in 🙂 Maybe The Junction as handy for your metro and half the price of The Centurion? 🤷🏼‍♂️ Nearer bottom end of town would work better for me walking in like Akenside. Mind you it’s on terrestrial so the Beehive will have it on 🤣

I think Gareth will go for a 433 tomorrow:

—————-T Rex————-

tripps —stones—maguir—shaw

——Rice——-Foden——Belling—

—-bukay——Harold——Sterling

rice as the holding mid, foden as an AM, and bellingham doing both.