Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

Kane's always dropping so deep for England I feel like you have to play Sterling. He's probably the best of the lot of utilising that space in behind and being a goal threat. I'd play Foden and Saka too for the group games at least anyway. 

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Kane's always dropping so deep for England I feel like you have to play Sterling. He's probably the best of the lot of utilising that space in behind and being a goal threat. I'd play Foden and Saka too for the group games at least anyway. 

I don't see teams like Iran giving that space in behind. They'll sit deep. Foden is far more effective at playing through a tight, deep defence than Sterling is. 

If we score early then they'll have to come out and the space behind defenders will open up, which is more suited to players like Sterling and Rashford. 

Like you I'd go with Foden and Saka to begin with, but reckon Southgate will stick with Sterling. 

Edited by ohmelads

Just read the Saka over Foden news. I can’t get my head around why it’s a debate as they play very different roles. 

I was really hoping he’d try and build a midfield around Foden, Bellingham, Saka but obviously not. 

:lol: YEAH, let's make a big stance and a huge statement. Equal rights for women and gays and others!!!!

Kane on a yeller in the first minute? Tek that rainbow bunting down lads, can't be having that. Carry on Qatar, you do you.

Fucking useless the lot of them, can only hope the players ignore the FA and do it anyway (but doubt that will happen). Looks especially bad considering the recent shooting in the U.S and the sacrifices that individuals are making all over the world for social change, but we don’t want risk a yellow card 

:rant:

Hate absolutely everything about this dreadful World Cup. 

Edited by mouldy_uk

I cant understand this. I can understand facing repercussions from a 'laws of the land' point of view, in respect to wearing the band.

But, in the laws of the game, how can you justify giving a yellow card for an armband? Show me the paragraph in the rule book where that rule is.

Whole tournament just feels like a massive rug pull :lol:

Obviously disappointing but the football teams and associations can't really win. In the eyes of those who would like to see defiance and progressive statements in the face of prejudice, they're bottlers. But, to the 'keep politics out of football' majority, jeopardising the team's chances is utter sacrilege. It also isn't really fair on the players to have their career pinnacles compromised through no fault of their own. 

It's all just so ugly but, like every individual depressing moment, ultimately it goes back to the awarding of it in the first place. Horse has well and truly bolted. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Like the lineup apart from Maguire TBH. Can’t argue too much. 

Bring on Maddison for Mount at some point. 

I'd have played Foden in place of Mount and White for Maguire, but probably how I'd have lined up for the most part.

I would certainly have played Foden ahead of Sterling (but not going to complain too much, Sterling has been reliably excellent for us), I am unconvinced about him playing a deeper role, has he ever done that for Man City? Even so England midfield is going to be deeper than man city midfield...

It's less then an hour before England play there opening game of a World Cup, and I just feel flat I'm slightly nervous, but beyond that I don't have the same buzz I normally would, I don't even care if England are poor or not, the whole thing just seems fake, and inconsequential. Weird.

Hasn’t Mount had a really average start to the season too? And he’s never really shown much in an England shirt. Lastly, does he play in that advanced midfielder role through the middle for Chelsea? I always see him drifting out to the left. Hopefully he’s not utter shit, glad to see Saka and Bellingham starting