Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

4 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

The were fucking dreadful. That McKenzie or whatever his name is with the shit hair is being fellated by a few, but he's wank too. Zero quality across the USA team in general. Yank birds are rank too. Rub it in all in your pubes.

Did an American shove a stick up your arse recently? You fucking watch the game at all?

Southgate has such form in refusing to change things when a game isn’t going well it just sets people off - England lost the euros final partly as he refused to adapt so not really surprising 

Sending Henderson on to save the day is pure WUM

Just now, 54 said:

I think the reason why I get annoyed by how over the top people get with Southgate is that when it comes down to it, he is exactly the sort of manager I want managing the national team.

Managing the England team is more then just the football and results on the pitch, they represent every person and football fan in the nation, they are the figurehead of football in the country and represent how we act and how we behave, they represent us, and are our voice.

And with Southgate you get a man, who is honest, respectful, kind and compassionate, does a lot of outreach with the disenfranchised, and speaks about things that matter and puts them at the forefront of the team, and makes them key to their mantra and message, we're the only team this tournament that has taken the knee, and that is down to the ethos that Southgate has instilled, and these things matter to me, and what I personally stand for.

He represents everything I want him to represent, and while he may be naive tactically at times, everything else I mentioned is 10x more important then being a bit conservative in our play, he's the manager that takes pride in representing us.

God we could have had Allandyce, that would have my skin crawl.

i'd rather try a coach who knew tactics, game management etc and was more interetsed in trying to win a game than trying not to get beat.

4 minutes ago, huss9 said:

it was obvious in the last 5-10 minutes southgate was playing for the draw.

those who were defending him after the euros can fuck right off.

i still think he's a coward and is clueless when it comes to tactics and in game management.

and steve holland as his number 2 ffs!

any decent coach would be building a team around the likes of foden and bellingham.

not subbing on the likes of henderson. what the fuck was his thinking behind that.

By defending him after the Euros, do you mean not criticising him for finishing as runners up after a penalty shootout defeat in the final?

18 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Could not agree more. Southgate isn’t perfect but some of the criticism is genuinely insane. I wonder what the crossover is with those who were losing their shit at Howe after his first couple of months 

eh? Howe started with a winless team bottom of the league, zero confidence and no coaching for over 2 years.

he got them turned round within months and brought in decent players.

southgate has been there years and still has no plan b or idea how to use the few world class players that he's got.

2 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Henderson wasn’t even bad when he came on.

The bigger issue is that the system provided little attacking fluency to our forward players. 

Mount, Saka and Sterling were all poor to non-existent.

Kane did not seem to have a defined position.

Do not understand how Foden doesn't start - he's our best player :serious:

Wow Southgate really played for a draw. Kind of pathetic. And what even is the point of Mason Mount? The US midfield were absolutely great though - nullified Bellingham which reduced England to sideways passes and blind alleys. Kane might as well have stayed home. 

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

I think the reason why I get annoyed by how over the top people get with Southgate is that when it comes down to it, he is exactly the sort of manager I want managing the national team.

Managing the England team is more then just the football and results on the pitch, they represent every person and football fan in the nation, they are the figurehead of football in the country and represent how we act and how we behave, they represent us, and are our voice.

And with Southgate you get a man, who is honest, respectful, kind and compassionate, does a lot of outreach with the disenfranchised, and speaks about things that matter and puts them at the forefront of the team, and makes them key to their mantra and message, we're the only team this tournament that has taken the knee, and that is down to the ethos that Southgate has instilled, and these things matter to me, and what I personally stand for.

He represents everything I want him to represent, and while he may be naive tactically at times, everything else I mentioned is 10x more important then being a bit conservative in our play, he's the manager that takes pride in representing us.

God we could have had Allandyce, that would have my skin crawl.

I can't remember what it was that I watched, but I remember a comment years ago, possibly on one of those 'remember 1996' type programmes, about how it's part of our national psyche to be valiant losers, how in a sense we'd rather go down fighting than actually win if it meant not representing a certain set of English stereotypes.

Always thought it was a bit of joke and not really true, but I think about it fairly regularly now and I think it applies with Southgate. Certain people literally hate our 2nd most successful manager of all time and have invented alternate and hypothetical realities in order to justify it. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

46 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I don’t think Southgate necessarily played for a draw. We just play the exact same way no matter what.

I disagree. From the first minute you could tell they were set up not to lose. At no point did anybody break into a sprint

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

What’s the tiebreaker?

If US and Iran draw, they’re both on 3 points. Iran has -2 goal differential, US 0. 

I’m reading that US must win. Is that correct?

(could see Iran playing for 0-0, and getting it)

Iran would be on 4 points and go second....assuming Wales didn't destroy England

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

I get what Southgate has done and appreciate him. But when you're in the middle of a match and there are blatant problems that keep resurfacing it's hard to think about things holistically. After seeing us under Howe and how he's got the best out of players nowhere near the quality of the side, it is frustrating. He doesn't seem to ever acknowledge issues or learn from mistakes either which erodes my patience with him.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I can't remember what it was that I watched, but I remember a comment years ago, possibly on one of those 'remember 1996' type programmes, about how it's part of our national psyche to be valiant losers, how in a sense we'd rather go down fighting than actually win if it meant not representing a certain set of English stereotypes.

Always thought it was a bit of joke and not really true, but I think about it fairly regularly now and I think it applies with Southgate. Certain people literally hate our 2nd most successful manager of all time and have invented alternate and hypothetical realities in order to justify it. 

technically our second most successful manager of all time cos he reached a final.

but his management of that game is one of the main reasons i hate him. he hasnt learnt from it all. 

in my eyes none of the likes of venables, hoddle, SBR  etc would have surrendered to italy the way we did and played to avoid defeat with the talent we had in the squad.

he failed his biggest test.

1 minute ago, ElDiablo said:

I get what Southgate has done and appreciate him. But when you're in the middle of a match and there are blatant problems that keep resurfacing it's hard to think about things holistically. After seeing us under Howe and how he's got the best out of players nowhere near the quality of the side, it is frustrating. He doesn't seem to ever acknowledge issues or learn from mistakes either which erodes my patience with him.

snap.

I've seen so many England performances like that, where our weakness at playing the ball out from the back and through the midfield gets exposed and we end up with a very slow, predictable build up that gets no-where fast. 

We need to have a bit more faith in our more technically gifted players, so I'd have Foden in for Sterling, who just doesn't use his brain. 

Rice doesn't show enough confidence or initiative, but with Phillips still apparently unfit, I'm not sure of the alternative.

Sad to say, Trippier struggled defensively against the Americans' pace, and neither full back contributed well to the attack in open play. The injuries to James and Chilwell have hurt us a bit.

Bellingham had a poor game but all the midfield seemed to be very isolated from one another 

Southgate really left Foden and Wilson on the bench at 0-0 and brought on Henderson to shore up the midfield :lol: 

the arrogance here after the fact is amusing too, don’t deflect it on shit Lebron Jokes…

to be clear our left side of defense consist of two guys at Fulham, our other center back is considered “the best mls center back” (whatever  that means) and Dest is allegedly another Yedlin to you lot (you know, a player who loved Rafa, our club and hated Bruce but people still want to call out). 

Get some rest, direct the anger to Gareth! 

can accept players being off form or struggling in a game.

its then the coach's job to change things.

we're allowed 5 subs nowadays.

he could have changed half the team, the whole sytem, and started doing it sooner.

there's obviously no plan b that has been coached into them.

has southgate actually improved over the past 5 years? the quality of our squad has.

Edited by huss9

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Southgate really left Foden and Wilson on the bench at 0-0 and brought on Henderson to shore up the midfield :lol: 

the arrogance here after the fact is amusing too, don’t deflect it on shit Lebron Jokes…

to be clear our left side of defense consist of two guys at Fulham, our other center back is considered “the best mls center back” (whatever  that means) and Dest is allegedly another Yedlin to you lot (you know, a player who loved Rafa, our club and hated Bruce but people still want to call out). 

Get some rest, direct the anger to Gareth! 

Why doesn't Cameron-Vickers start? I feel like he is better than at least one of your centre backs, but maybe I'm wrong.