Group F: Belgium, Canada, Morocco, Croatia (Morocco and Croatia qualify)

Big River

Belgium arn't going to go very far in this tournament, they're an aging, tired squad. 

Canada will get a will against either Croatia or Morocco, they played really well just didn't have the final finish today, but was impressed heavily with how they pressed, and attacked with pace, especially in that first half, Eustaquio, Davies and Buchanan where all really good. 

14 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Belgium have really wasted their golden generation with Martinez. They have been second best here from what I’ve seen and they always seem to look decent on paper. Yet look bang average on the pitch. 

Got their best ever WC finish tbf. 

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

Has done far better than his predecessor too. Nobody has a god given right to win a tournament, particularly Belgium ffs.

Edited by ponsaelius

Just now, Kanji said:

Maybe just me but I’d be furious if I’m a canada fan here, opportunity missed to take these down. 

why the fuck are the games 1 hour earlier tomorrow?

:lol: Don't they already start at like 5am?!

Just now, cubaricho said:

3am here (2am tomorrow then?). It's ridiculous. We're the US ffs. Everything should be pushed back for us.

You put a sheet over Manifest Destiny for ten god damn minutes and now we gotta wake up at 4am.

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

3am here. It's ridiculous. We're the US ffs. Everything should be pushed back for us.

Says the guy who could go hit the slopes between matches if he wanted to and could apres ski with the copa mundial. 

We should have had a result from this match. I hope they build on the showing in our next two matches. Not bad for our first time back in 36 years, but we should have at least a point on the board. Belgium were rank in the first half.

1 hour ago, Disco said:

I’d argue with the players they have had at their disposal over the last however many years. You would be expecting them to always be mixing it at the business end. 

Probably being overly harsh. I’m just always disappointed when I watch them. 

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Maybe just me but I’d be furious if I’m a canada fan here, opportunity missed to take these down.

I can’t be too harsh on them, but should have drawn bare minimum. We should have been up 2-1 end of the first half, but is what it is.

Martinez getting Belgium's best ever World Cup finish is, aside from doing the same at the Euros, just about the least he could have done in his time as manager like.

People wrongly talk about this England team as being something special as a stick to beat Southgate with, but it absolutely applies in Belgium and Martinez's case. It proper winds me up how shit he is considering the jobs he's had and been linked with :lol:

Losing to France in 2018 was no great disappointment, though. That's just falling at their natural hurdle to a better team with better players (after pulling off an excellent result against Brazil in the quarters). By the Euros last year the team was already in steep decline in defensive areas and retained the weaknesses that were always there at full-back. Again they lost a tight game to the eventual winners being on the tough side of the draw.

Belgium's team has always been overrated because so many of the players play/played in the PL and were therefore familiar. Martinez has been fine if a bit dull and unspectacular.

The exit to Wales in 2016 was obviously a disaster and probably the biggest missed opportunity because so many teams were not at their best and even France were miles away from the current quality and depth they have. If they had had an actual manager in for that tournament, even Martinez, they probably would have won it.

54 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

I can’t be too harsh on them, but should have drawn bare minimum. We should have been up 2-1 end of the first half, but is what it is.

Your lot should be really proud of that performance like. That's the kind of game that enamoures you to the entire world, to the point where the result doesn't even matter. Everyone will be hoping for Canada to get a result now.

32 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Martinez getting Belgium's best ever World Cup finish is, aside from doing the same at the Euros, just about the least he could have done in his time as manager like.

People wrongly talk about this England team as being something special as a stick to beat Southgate with, but it absolutely applies in Belgium and Martinez's case. It proper winds me up how shit he is considering the jobs he's had and been linked with :lol:

I agree people have been unnecessarily critical of Southgate (at times), but I’m not sure how the opposite applies to Belgium here in that case. The only ‘golden generation’ embarrassment was losing to Wales in 2016, which was before Martinez took over. They were decent in 2018, finishing third and knocked out by the strongest side since Spain’s golden generation. I’d say the Euros were disappointing mind, but not a shambles. They again lost to the eventual winners, without the constant home advantage England had. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

I’d argue with the players they have had at their disposal over the last however many years. You would be expecting them to always be mixing it at the business end. 

Probably being overly harsh. I’m just always disappointed when I watch them. 

Thing is though, a World Cup only comes around once every four years. They've had an incredible squad, but there's so much so be said for having a winning culture at a World Cup, which Belgium obviously hasn't got. If Germany had the same talent, they would have won something IMO. 

The fact that they've managed to get a squad this good is incredible in itself TBH, sure they probably should have done better just going off the talent they've had, but international football is about so much more than just talent. 

1 hour ago, The Bonk said:

mate, I get it. I’m 100% backing you there. Small / fine margins type of shit and I bloody love Canada to begin with (as an American) 

Edited by Kanji