Group G: Brazil, Serbia, Switzerland, Cameroon (Brazil and Switzerland qualify)

Big River

30 minutes ago, Peppe said:

Regarding the peniscopter - from what I've learned one should probably refrain from doing it. A player in Paraguay faced a ban for showing just a little bit of his penis during a celebration. 

Definitely shouldn't bite an opponents penis either:

https://www.ladbible.com/news/sport-football-player-handed-five-year-ban-for-biting-opponents-penis-20200219

Edit: "football show penis rule" is probably one of my weirder internet searches :lol:

In fairness, I’m definitely not advocating biting players penises.  Certainly not without consent. 

15 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Used to think players going to the Middle East or MLS in their twenties was shit, but now that I'm older, I'll never fault a footballer for securing his and his family's future. Especially the ones that aren't at the absolute top of the pile and won't have much income after their playing career is over.

Yes, I saw that bellend Simon Jordan criticising C Ronaldo for potentially going to KSA when he could still play at a high level.

As if anyone would turn down a nine figure sum - legacy or not.  

1 hour ago, oldtype said:

Used to think players going to the Middle East or MLS in their twenties was shit, but now that I'm older, I'll never fault a footballer for securing his and his family's future. Especially the ones that aren't at the absolute top of the pile and won't have much income after their playing career is over.

Agreed. And especially if you’re in say, the PL, and pretty much a mid level to mid level+ player, and you go to MLS around like 27-32. You’re the standout star of a team then, and still making more money than the majority of people. 

42 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Agreed. And especially if you’re in say, the PL, and pretty much a mid level to mid level+ player, and you go to MLS around like 27-32. You’re the standout star of a team then, and still making more money than the majority of people. 

Nah, mid level PL player is loaded. IMO more understandable when it's from leagues like Ligue 1 and Portuguese Primeira Liga (like Aboubakar) where a good player is well off but not filthy rich. All this said without having any idea how much Aboubakar made in those leagues. :lol:

Edited by Pata

Xhaka was celebrating at the end with Swiss #26 Ardon Jashari's shirt on back to front (so the name on show). His namesake Adem Jashari was also the founder of the Kosovan Liberation Army and symbol of Kosovar independence. 

Big brain way around getting punishment from FIFA. Wouldn't be surprised if that bloke is in the squad purely for this reason :lol:

Edited by ponsaelius

1st half of Swiss-Serbs was the best 45 minutes of the tournament so far imo. Shame the 2nd half started with a Switzerland goal and they were so robust after that. Great goal though, and impressive from the Swiss seeing it out so comfortably. 

Serbia obviously a flawed side but were involved in 3 of the most entertaining games so far. Mad fuckers. 

Edited by Interpolic

Annoyingly saw nothing of the games live yesterday so caught up on highlights this morning. Absolutely loved Switzerland's third goal, that was a thing of beauty. Probably only bettered so far by Chavez's free-kick for Mexico against Saudis; which was made all the more dramatic due to his three pants attempts from distance earlier in the game. 

Another word on commentary though; I've made this point before but it's absolutely mad how they cloned Vicki Sparks and made Robyn Cowen. I'm probably just being a prick but their voices are both so similar and annoying. :lol:

Guy Mowbray, Steve Wilson, Steve Bower and to a lesser extent Jonathan Pearce are all good to great (really like Mowbray tbf, he's worthy of being BBC's numero uno; staggering difference in quality compared to his opposite number on ITV...), but the two lasses are both a bit of a pain to listen to imo. 

2 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Sorry if already mentioned but how do Argentina have so many fans at the world cup? It's hardly a short hop.

Argentinian fan groups are basically run as organized crime cartels. In addition they have a lot of influence with the footballing federation, so unlike Brazil where mostly the upper middle class can afford it, they get financial support from the federation and have money themselves from  organized crimes. Join fans from crazy fanbases and you get what Argentina have, amazing atmosphere but also responsible for the only fights among fans at the WC right (was told there were a lot of fights between Argentinian fans and Mexican fans during that game). I know Argentinian government were trying to stop them from travelling to the WC, but not sure how effective that was. At Heathrow boarding the plane, 12 british police officers arrived and started only questioning Argentinian fans (or people with Argentinian shirts/shorts) and looking their passports up on their computer.

Oh, and adding to that, tons of people from Asia especially Bangladesh and India there supporting either Argentina or Brazil. Sat among some of the Brazil Fans of Kerala at one of the games. Unheard of in Europe, but in India they either support Manchester United, Argentina or Brazil :lol: