Our Shithousery

The Prophet

Howe clearly learned a lot from his time observing Simeone, as we have the dark arts down pat. I've even seen opposition fans describe us as the English Atleti.

How does it sit wIth you though? Are we utilising a weapon that's been part of football for decades (particularly in other  countries), or is it blatant cheating that we should remove from our game?

Just now, The Prophet said:

Howe clearly learned a lot from his time observing Simeone, as we have the dark arts down pat. I've even seen opposition fans describe us as the English Atleti.

How does it sit wIth you though? Are we utilising a weapon that's been part of football for decades (particularly in other  countries), or is it blatant cheating that we should remove from our game?

We do it in the right way, cheating basically but close to the bone where we won’t be hated.

All the best teams do it and refs lap it up, especially when we’re considered a big boy.

You don't get anywhere being nice. I want us to play with as much flair and joy as possible, but we are attacking, we are fun to watch, and insinuations we are just super cynical are just nonsense to me but it is symptomatic that we fight for every point. Noone whinges nowadays about the Invincibles team being shithouses. 

All the best teams have that nasty edge about them, love ours at the minute. If opposition fans don't like it they can fuck off, I've watched endless opposition teams get away with murder against us and referees do nowt about it for years and years. About time we gave some back.

I don’t mind it on the whole, but I think our time wasting sometimes is too obvious and will backfire eventually. However I was so pumped up at full time and was wishing Burn would spark Havertz out so I’m all for it haha

Would rather do it the Keegan way but this is as much part of the game as going into the corner to kill time is now.

That said the lack of it almost certainly cost us at least one title back then

So often been done to us and we never felt embarrassed for the other team. So don't hate the player hate the game.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I’m not actually arsed about it at all. In fact I think it’s probably massively overblown issue framed by a genuine dislike of us as a club. I think we will need to accept it when it is used against us though. I don’t like it as part of the game but dark arts are part of every single professional sports.

Just now, NWMag said:

I don’t mind it on the whole, but I think our time wasting sometimes is too obvious and will backfire eventually. However I was so pumped up at full time and was wishing Burn would spark Havertz out so I’m all for it haha

Yeah, I remember being annoyed during the end of the Everton game. We were under no pressure yet still wasting time and basically giving the ref an excuse to give Everton more time than we saved. I know the idea is about breaking up play, but there was no danger and it just seemed like poor game management to me. Especially because it is something we are becoming known for. 

We've scored 4 goals a bunch of times. any narrative that we are overly dirty and and negative is nonsense regardless. This was a big game against a good team with deep resources off the bench we don't have. I will complain if we are timewasting at home against Brentford in the first half. 

Don't give a fuck, every other top team does it so why shouldn't we. Not in the slightest bit bothered about being popular or likeable, I'd quite like us to be successful and actually win things. If we need to be shithouses in the process then bring it on

I wouldn't say whatever it takes I'd be disappointed in the future if we turn to Mourinho tbh. It's just we are overperforming where the squad 'should be' so there is going to be some shithousery to secure the wins which is great. I do think any winning team needs a nasty edge. 

The irony of this thread appearing tonight is that Chelsea had almost 70 minutes available to go toe to toe until we really turned the dark arts screw. They pussied out of it up to then, especially first half, and that's their problem.

We've never utilised bending of the rules in the way top teams do so it's satisfying to see.

My only ref/rule related grumble is I do think certain players push their luck when it comes to complaining to the ref. It feels like Big Joe in particular is ready and waiting for an argument the first time a free kick goes against him, and I wonder if that only aides how they treat him. Bruno has an argumentative side to him too and I just don't think we've got the sway with the refs to justify it.