Title - o - metre  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

How does Europe work this year. Everyone assumes 7th is Europa Conference, but is that dependent on the cups being won (as usual) by the big 6, or rather 5, as Tottenham never win anything? Or would the PL get an extra place if say a Palace or equivalent won one of the cups?

47 minutes ago, Paullow said:

How does Europe work this year. Everyone assumes 7th is Europa Conference, but is that dependent on the cups being won (as usual) by the big 6, or rather 5, as Tottenham never win anything? Or would the PL get an extra place if say a Palace or equivalent won one of the cups?

It depends on cup wins yes, 7th only gets a spot if both of the cup winners finish top I think

2 hours ago, madras said:

And what if an English team wins the Champions league ?

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Below is a breakdown of how Premier League clubs can qualify to play in UEFA competitions, along with which tournament each qualified club will play in.

Ordinarily, the maximum number of English teams in UEFA competitions is seven.

(Please note UEFA reserves the right to change the conditions of the access list so these criteria can be subject to change.) 

UEFA Champions League (UCL) qualification

In normal circumstances, four UCL places are given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria:

The top four teams in the Premier League qualify for the group stage proper.

UEFA Europa League (UEL) qualification

In normal circumstances, two UEL places are given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria:

The fifth-placed team in the Premier League qualify for the group stage proper.

The winners of the FA Cup qualify for the group stage proper.

UEFA Europa Conference League (UECL) qualification

The EFL Cup winners qualify for the playoff stages.

Where these qualifications changes

a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

b) If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UECL playoff place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

How does winning UCL/UEL affect qualification?

Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's competition regardless of their league finishing position.

Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Europa League they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's UEFA Champions League regardless of their league finishing position.

If a club win the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League and finish in the top four, their qualification for the UCL through their league position is not transferred to another team. 

4 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We started Wood, Fraser and Murphy as a front 3 in 4 games last season. 3 wins, 1 draw. :lol: Think they'd do okay against Djurgårdens and CFR Cluj tbh.

You coming round to the ECL idea now it's definitely gonna happen like?

22 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

You coming round to the ECL idea now it's definitely gonna happen like?

Now that there's a very strong chance we're going to be in it, of course. :lol:

Obviously I'd much rather be in the Europa League but you take what you can get as I can't see us overhauling any of the 'big 6' this season barring one of them falling apart.

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Now that there's a very strong chance we're going to be in it, of course. :lol:

Obviously I'd much rather be in the Europa League but you take what you can get as I can't see us overhauling any of the 'big 6' this season barring one of them falling apart.

It’ll be some class away days for our fans for sure. 

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

As this current squad stands? You think they could get through to the last 16 of a European competition with Chris Wood flanked by Fraser & Murphy?

2 more transfer windows and it might be Wilson starting those kinda games with Wood playing for someone else. Same with the other two. I think a lot of emphasis next summer is gonna be on bolstering the squad depth. Plus we'll have a 3rd window (Jan 24) for the later stages of the competition. 

Imagine finishing in the top 6 for the time in years and not even qualifying for the Europa Conference :lol:. I guess it sort of happened in my first season of following football back in 1995 when we finished 6th - I remember wanting Man Utd to beat Everton in the FA Cup final as I knew it would benefit us, although not fully understanding what was going on, ha.

I guess for now, assuming we don't, I'll be hoping the 'big' clubs do well in the cups to keep the 7th door open.

1 hour ago, Paullow said:

Imagine finishing in the top 6 for the time in years and not even qualifying for the Europa Conference :lol:. I guess it sort of happened in my first season of following football back in 1995 when we finished 6th - I remember wanting Man Utd to beat Everton in the FA Cup final as I knew it would benefit us, although not fully understanding what was going on, ha.

I guess for now, assuming we don't, I'll be hoping the 'big' clubs do well in the cups to keep the 7th door open.

As it stands right now, 5th gets EL and 6th gets ECL, all depends on the FA Cup winners really tbh.

7 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

As it stands right now, 5th gets EL and 6th gets ECL, all depends on the FA Cup winners really tbh.

I read it as 5th gets EL and the League Cup winner gets ECL, 7 European spots in total for the PL, and if both cups are won by non top 6 sides (very unlikely, of course) then only the top 5 will qualify for Europe via the league.

On 21/10/2022 at 05:04, Optimistic Nut said:

Think the odds of a non-top 6 club winning a cup are slim these days so 7th will 90% do it.

Hope so because 7th is definitely doable, but breaking into that top 6 might take another season yet.

Said it before and will say it again , 7th is the lowest we are finishing , having the likes of Murphy and Longstaff still playing on a regular basis with the likes of Wood and Fraser still getting game time is the difference between us finishing 7th and 4th but no way will we be below 7th.

Edited by Geogaddi

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

We’ve given a game to every team we’ve played, home and away. We’re one 98th minute goal from being unbeaten. I’m not scared of anyone.

oh a hard lad are we...............pathetic!