• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, BlazeT44 said:

Yes, I was. Since 1995/1996.

You didn't say the ceiling was 4th.

You said 4th should be the goal, with 5th or 6th would be the new 'acceptable' which I think is complete nonsense. 

How on earth would going from being a team that has struggled to stay in the Premier League in the past 15 years (except one good season), to 7th be less than acceptable?

Comments like these rightly give rise to people calling our fan base deluded and entitled.

I fully agree that, if we can, why not aim for 6th, 5th or 4th. But to say thinking finishing 7th or 8th is not acceptable or bed wetting is crazy talk.

Finishing 7th and maybe sneaking into Europe would see a marked improvement in on field performances, in addition to the off field improvements and increase to commercials.

“Comments like these rightly give rise to people calling our fan base deluded and entitled.”

Haddaway and shite, man. Do the maths. Look at how we’re playing, given Howe a little settling in time, the points return from January this year. Who gives a fuck about the potential sneering comments from others. We should be striving, with every sinew, for top six. That is where we deserve to be—stats not entitlement. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

“Comments like these rightly give rise to people calling our fan base deluded and entitled.”

Haddaway and shite, man. Do the maths. Look at how we’re playing, given Howe a little settling in time, the points return from January this year. Who gives a fuck about the potential sneering comments from others. We should be striving, with every sinew, for top six. That is where we deserve to be—stats not entitlement. 

Did I say that we shouldn't be striving for top 6? Or even top 4? And yes we're playing well, but again, I didn't say we wasn't?

I'm saying statements like "only 7th at the end of the season would be disappointing" and "5th and 6th are acceptable" are crazy.

That sounds 'entitled' -- that finishing below Arsenal, City, Chelsea, United, Tottenham and Liverpool (i.e. 7th) would be 'disappointing' after a 38 games season.

We've had two windows to invest in a horrific squad. Quite frankly, a squad that would have been relegated last year, and would have absolutely been relegated this without investment. We can agree on the fact that the team Eddie inherited was shocking and we'd have likely gone down that year, right?

So, to be absolutely sure, you're saying, that after only two windows of investment (with a third coming), and 12 months of coaching, it'd be unacceptable and/or disappointing for a team that was languishing down at the bottom of the table year in year out, to finish just beneath under the established top 6, while watching entertaining football week in week out, and finishing in what would most likely be a European spot?

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Say it after ever game but we should have 23 points (Palace) and even that's being fucking charitable given what happened at Anfield. 

Should have been 2-0 win at Anfield and a 1-0 win against Palace.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

The most exciting thing for me is that watching us, I still get the impression that we're still nowhere near our best. The results are still coming, but I can see us playing some jaw-dropping stuff when we get other players back.

Agreed.

ASM and Isaak add so much quality to our squad.

Just on the fixtures but Chelsea haven't played Arsenal, Man City, us, Liverpool, or Brighton. Arsenal, Brighton, and us up for them next.

They're still third, but Tottenham's start to the season looked rosier before they played Man U and us. 

11 hours ago, Mazzy said:

The next 2 games have become massive. Beating Spurs means so much less if we don't get minimum 4 points from the next Villa/Southampton and that's being pessimistic, 6 points is obviously the aim.

Sounds a bit OTT but i think every game is massive this year, the team has so much potential.

The position we've put ourselves in now means we can probably say 5 points from the next 3 would be a good return, after 3 at spuds.  But, 6 would of course be even better!

7 hours ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Agreed.

ASM and Isaak add so much quality to our squad.

I get that but ASM is the big question, we seem more balanced without him now , is he a shoe in to get back into the team? 

Edited by GWN

26 minutes ago, GWN said:

I get that but ASM is the big question, we seem more balanced without him now , is he a shoe in to get back into the team? 

thats where a real dm comes in.

right side triangle of Bruno, Trippier and Miggy replicated on the left with Joe, Targett and ASM.

it’s been a really clever ploy by Eddie to mitigate the loss of ASM by flooding the right side and bringing in Burn as a left back cum third centre back but I reckon Targett comes back in when ASM is fit

Good morning.

Yesterday we played Spurs at their stadium where they've won 8 of their last 8 and haven’t lost since May.

We beat them 2-1 and went 4th in the league. Due to bad officiating decisions in other matches, we should probably be 3rd, either 3 points behind Man City or level on points.

:lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

I didn't expect us to get that result yesterday and as a result its making me ponder what we could actually achieve this season in terms of league position. I'm trying to be adamant with myself that we won't finish in the top 6 as I can't see which big 6 side we'll finish above of. But we have 3 league games left before the World Cup and we should be winning 2 of them, wouldn't put winning all 3 past us given our home form. Then we come back after the World Cup with hopefully our injured players back away at a Leicester side who in spite of their result yesterday have been awful this season, then home to Leeds who've been struggling then away at Arsenal and home to Fulham in January with the window open. 

I'm constantly trying to convince myself top 6 is not happening, but Christ it's hard not to be optimistic. :lol:

If we get a good run in before the WC and say, Maddison, Diaby and some RB cover in January, I swear to god we can finish 2nd or 3rd. It's the perfect situation with the bigger teams having players at the WC and last seasons 6th-10th all having bad transitional seasons. This genuinely might actually fucking happen. 

Let’s see where we are at the break. Finishing 6th requires one of the top 6 to under perform as well as Newcastle to keep the pace up for 38 games, and the squad is much thinner than the top 6 clubs squads - we’ve seen the bench at times.

In previous years when it’s just been avoiding relegation you only need to play well for 10-15 games a year, 38 games requires new levels of consistency.

However would be class to vault the Conference League and go into the Europa League

9 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

7th to 10th is still the target for me, this season.  However Im moving more to the 7th position as we are just superb at the moment

I know the club won’t talk about specific league positions being the target, but I think internally they’d be aiming for 7th, and anything above 7th is an unexpected bonus. 

European competition next year would be massive for the development of the club.

Edited by bowlingcrofty