The Round of 16

40 minutes ago, Pata said:

Messi and Di Maria are old but still good. Otamendi too but I don't think it matters, he's still the same.

Australia scored with a shot that would've been 20 yards wide and high and got few chances from loose balls and and one once-in-a-lifetime run while Argies missed a sitter after sitter. Argies the favourites against Netherlands imo.

I might be in a minority here, but I thought Argentina looked better without Di Maria. He's got lots of pace and tricks, but his end product has always looked inconsistent for me. Today they looked solid and their one touch passing and control of the game was really top notch, although they still lack a bit of bite up front. Martinez' finishing when he came on was laughable.

Not sure how you can call it comfortable when they almost conceded in the last minute. First half Australia (a terrible side btw) had control of the game for large parts. Then came the Messi magic and a howler by the goalkeeper in the second half. 

Furthermore, Argentina created plenty at 2-1 as Australia threw defenders up top, but not before that. Australia had two great chances to tie it as well. 

Thought Argentina looked shaky tbh. 

Just now, Flip said:

Not sure how you can call it comfortable when they almost conceded in the last minute. First half Australia (a terrible side btw) had control of the game for large parts. Then came the Messi magic and a howler by the goalkeeper in the second half. 

Furthermore, Argentina created plenty at 2-1 as Australia threw defenders up top, but not before that. Australia had two great chances to tie it as well. 

I agree with your post flip, except for terrible side. Terrible sides don't win 2 games at a world cup and push a tournament favourite in a KO games. Yes, it isn't beautiful football, but its effective at getting results. 

39 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Thanks mate. We are far from pleasing on the eye or dominant, but pretty ruthless as you say. Shame for you guys, wasn’t your best game sadly. Here’s hoping we can put away Messi and co in the next round. 

You were pretty impressive mate, nice to see a Dutch side show some flashes of that old pedigree. Both goals were really well worked, so many times you see wide men just cross it into a melee of defenders, it was quite smart to pull it back a bit further, and looked well planned as there was players arriving late into that space for both goals. Going to be a very well contested QF with Argentina.

Just now, Flip said:

I disagree with that, I wouldnt say Australia had control of the game at any point really, in the first half they defended well, where very compact and limited the potential passing lanes, it was very much a Newcastle under Rafa type display (One I think the Aussies should be proud of btw), but beyond that, Argentina had control of the ball, where passing it around nicely and as soon as Messi scored the first Argentina where in cruise control.

It only took a freak deflected goal from a shot that was going miles over to create tensions, but even then, Argentina and namely Martinez, could and should have scored another 2/3 after that point, and it took to the very last kick for the Aussies to get there first shot on target, they barely threatened until that point.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

I might be in a minority here, but I thought Argentina looked better without Di Maria. He's got lots of pace and tricks, but his end product has always looked inconsistent for me. Today they looked solid and their one touch passing and control of the game was really top notch, although they still lack a bit of bite up front. Martinez' finishing when he came on was laughable.

Think Di Maria is underrated in England due to that one season in Man Utd (in which he still had 3+11 in 27 games). One of the best and most consistent wingers of the past 10-15 years IMO.

Just now, 54 said:

I disagree with that, I wouldnt say Australia had control of the game at any point really, in the first half they defended well, where very compact and limited the potential passing lanes, it was very much a Newcastle under Rafa type display (One I think the Aussies should be proud of btw), but beyond that, Argentina had control of the ball, where passing it around nicely and as soon as Messi scored the first Argentina where in cruise control.

It only took a freak deflected goal from a shot that was going miles over to create tensions, but even then, Argentina and namely Martinez, could and should have scored another 2/3 after that point, and it took to the very last kick for the Aussies to get there first shot on target, they barely threatened until that point.

In terms of control, I meant as in the way the game was being played. Argentina had one shot on goal in 45 minutes of football. Neither side were being threatened. As for Argentinas chances, maybe I’n clouded by that last ditch chance by Kuol, but didn’t they all come after the 2-1 goal? As Australia were sending players forward? In normal circumstances, Argentina created what? 1 maximum 2 chances over 75minutes of football against Australia? 

I reckon england should go a bit more attacking against Senegal tomorrow and win the game in the first half.

Bring on more defensive minded players in2nd half:

——————small arms—————-

walker ——stones—-maguire—-shaw

————rice———bellingham———-

saka————-foden—————rashford

——————-Harry—————-

Holland Argentina is definitely going to ET and probably pens, they're very evenly matched and it'll take something special to split them. Argentina have Messi but I don't see any Dutch equivalent so I'd back them to knock Holland out if it comes down to brass tacks

48 minutes ago, Pata said:

Think Di Maria is underrated in England due to that one season in Man Utd (in which he still had 3+11 in 27 games). One of the best and most consistent wingers of the past 10-15 years IMO.

That’s true generally, but for me it is a case of him being an excellent winger in his prime, and Father Time has caught up

Edited by TheBrownBottle

8 hours ago, La Parka said:

Wife told me to shut up 😂

I was watching on a plane from Vancouver to Toronto and threw my arms up in the air knocking the lasses arm across the aisle from me.

I so wanted that to go in for the lad. [emoji38]

He did brilliant, only thwarted by a very good save.

13 hours ago, huss9 said:

arg-holl 1978 was my first world cup final.

amazing.

the tickertape, the bbc/itv theme tunes, the "telephoned" commentary, the iconic kits.

The Ball. I want the Adidas Tango to be the official ball every WC.
Iconic

40 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Rio was saying that Álvarez reminds him of Tevez. Am I missing something, I never would have made that comparison 

Completely different styles - you could say Tevez was more of a 10