The Round of 16

11 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

No doubt there will be more excuses if we beat the French "aye but look at all their injuries! Southgate's still never really been tested"

Such dull, low-risk opinions.

Nah, beat France and that’s a blinding result irrespective of injuries.  It would be England’s best result in half a century

Senegal gave a good account of themselves until they conceded. After the goal they just folded and we were ruthless enough to run out comfortable winners. Bellingham was the best player on the park by a comfortable margin.

I think we can can beat France, but it'll require an off day from their forwards. If they misfire their defence looks vulnerable. I say misfire because as good a job as Southgate has done, he isn't innovative enough, nor has the players at his disposal to contain them.

3 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

This is going to be a really interesting game. On paper, two quite evenly matched teams. We have to be brave, as their defence, and Lloris aren't all that.

Eddie’s high press Mags put the shits right up him.  Press like maniacs and hope that either Mbappe has an off-day or any plan to take care of him works

10 minutes ago, Disco said:

Said QFs pre tournament as I’d assumed we’d end up playing France but I think it’s a bit of a toss up tbh. They’re been shaky as you like defensively and Lloris is always good for a fuck up but Mbappe is ridiculous and Griezmann has been class too.

Same, I said we'd get knocked out in the quarters by France. I'm still terrified of them but now not so sure. A toss-up is probably right. Poland gave them serious problems today and only came unstuck when Mbappe was given space.

I actually think it all hinges on how England approach the game - if we give them too much respect and play within ourselves like we did most of the game against Italy in the Euros final then we'll lose. Have a go at them and have enough players on form on the day and we can win. 

Just looking and in my lifetime (born August 90) the only "proper" elite footballing country we've beat in a knockout game was Germany last year. At a push spain on pens in euro 96 First decent opposition we face have knocked us out

Same again next week

Just now, jack j said:

Just looking and in my lifetime (born August 90) the only "proper" elite footballing country we've beat in a knockout game was Germany last year. At a push spain on pens in euro 96 First decent opposition we face have knocked us out

Same again next week

Both at Wembley, of course.  And those Spain and Germany sides were not exactly ‘peak’ Spain or Germany.

Those remain England’s only knockout victories vs heavyweights (Arg, Bra, Fra, Ger, Ned, Ita, Por, Spa) since 1966.  Where all the games were at Wembley.

Let’s hope all the EURO 2028 games are at Wembley :) 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Both at Wembley, of course.  And those Spain and Germany sides were not exactly ‘peak’ Spain or Germany.

Those remain England’s only knockout victories vs heavyweights (Arg, Bra, Fra, Ger, Ned, Ita, Por, Spa) since 1966.  Where all the games were at Wembley.

Let’s hope all the EURO 2028 games are at Wembley :) 

Aye wasn't gonna mention Spain. They weren't the Spain they became! And it was a Germany in decline but still a big footballing nation.

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye outside of England, whose the best team England have beaten in a KO game?

Cameroon? Colombia?

Still feels like Cameroon for me - though Colombia was a tough game - and let’s be honest, it took some ‘gamesmanship’ for us to get past them.

Having said that, that Belgium team in ‘90 still had a few of their SF side from ‘86 in peak form.  Enzo Scifo was still a sublime footballer.  

In my lifetime pre-Southgate we'd won 3 games of knockout football. Under Southgate we've won 6. The idea that we historically breeze past the weaker teams and then come unstuck against the heavyweights doesn't really ring true - England for most of my life have been chronic underachievers, often struggling to get out of the groups or sometimes even qualifying for tournaments at all. The man's not perfect but the level of criticism he gets is mad given the relative success he's brought.

1 hour ago, LiquidAK said:

Right?? 

"Aye wait til we play a good team"

Beat Germany, pretty comfortably too.

"Aye but.... it was at Wembley... and they're not THAT good......"

Just no winning :lol: 

Still think the French will prove a bit too much for us mind

They've failed to qualify from their group two World cups in a row, and went out in the first knock out game of the last Euros. I highly doubt there's ever been a German side this bad before like. 

16 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Four favourites comfortably through so far. Some upsets next couple of days wouldn't go amiss.

Be amazed if there’s any tomorrow but I’ll be popping a bet on a Morocco & Swiss double for Tues.

Genuinely don't think Germany played that bad in this tournament FWIW nor is the team that terrible. Early 2000s side was definitely worse despite that jammy run in 2002. Just seems to be something mentally not there and tactically stale about them at the moment. And the lack of a proper CF both in terms of available players and system is completely un-German like. 

Edited by ponsaelius