The Round of 16

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Senegal gave a good account of themselves until they conceded. After the goal they just folded and we were ruthless enough to run out comfortable winners. Bellingham was the best player on the park by a comfortable margin.

I think we can can beat France, but it'll require an off day from their forwards. If they misfire their defence looks vulnerable. I say misfire because as good a job as Southgate has done, he isn't innovative enough, nor has the players at his disposal to contain them.

I think England can beat France. Mbappe is the x factor in attack. If he does not click or is contained, I think the English midfield and defense can handle Giroud, Dembele, and Griezmann.

My guess is Southgate will play the Henderson, Rice, and Bellingham midfield which was very effective today. Henderson or Rice will be asked to help out Walker against MBappe.

The midfield battle will be important. Bellingham, Rice, Henderson vs Tchouameni, Rabiot, Griezmann will be very interesting to watch. 

The key will be how Maguire and Stones handle M'bappe once Giroud goes off. He'll move from the left and play through the middle you'd imagine. If he runs at them late in the game... 

If I was Deschamps then I'd be tempted to even start M'bappe centrally and put Coman out wide of something like that. The options he has are ridiculous, they'll rightly start as favourites. 

I don’t think the French are unbeatable but Mbappe is hitting the type of form and scoring the type of goals that the top 1% of players reach. 

We’ve got to play to our strengths and the game changed for us when we stopped trying to pass it out from the back with players like Maguire. Unlike Dixon who was droning on like a dinosaur in commentary I’d prefer if we were that type of side but we haven’t got the personnel for it.

7 hours ago, gbandit said:

Basically the frothers won’t settle for anything less than the following from Southgate:

1) He says politics needs to stay out of football and puts a total stop any mention of discrimination 

2) He commands the team to both not take the knee but also denounce it

I think he is a decent man, and he’s correct on everything he’s said in relation to discrimination, and politics and sport absolutely do mix.

I just think he’s a utterly mediocre manager who has a group of players who could play much nicer football.  I also think England have beat who they should beat and down nowt against sides where the odds are more even.  In all three knockout games he’s won his team we’re comfortable favourites.  

If England beat France I’m perfectly comfortable with saying he’s got them performing above where they might be expected to be I.e. he’s earning his crust as a manager.  

You know, like what we do with NUFC managers.  Bruce kept Newcastle up playing shit football and an average group of players.  Howe has many of the same players playing out of their skin now.  We don’t give Bruce credit for basically doing the same thing - though Southgate is clearly a far more decent man (which helps). 

The French have a very good side - the best I've seen this tournament - but they may fall prey to over-confidence. Mbappe in particular looked a bit up himself in the closing stages of the Poland game. 

We looked good on the break last night, and I think we'll get some chances that way.

I like Southgate a lot as a person and his human qualities and relationship-building skills are the biggest reasons why he’s been successful. He clearly knows how to connect with different players and also to help them connect together. I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that he’s not a great tactician and the football is sometimes very slow. However, if you look back at the way England played under the last ten managers, we were largely appalling to watch and unsuccessful. Southgate has been successful and the football has been far better than under capello, Hodgson, McClaren etc

Thought Neville nailed it, we have to stop Giroud and Griezmann, the men who can feed the ball to Mbappe in dangerous positions. They have top players and they’ll get chances regardless of how well our defence perform but we have to ensure that works the other way and we take our opportunities. 

Let's all enjoy this week and the build-up to Saturday's game. I'm sure that our boys, once again, will be confident of winning. I don't think the Polish players believed they could beat France. You try telling that to the likes of Bellingham and Foden! 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

I like Southgate a lot as a person and his human qualities and relationship-building skills are the biggest reasons why he’s been successful. He clearly knows how to connect with different players and also to help them connect together. I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that he’s not a great tactician and the football is sometimes very slow. However, if you look back at the way England played under the last ten managers, we were largely appalling to watch and unsuccessful. Southgate has been successful and the football has been far better than under capello, Hodgson, McClaren etc

I’m certainly grateful that Fat Sham is so ludicrously greedy he fell for an obvious sting - I don’t see England doing what they have done under him

I think this is a quality group of footballers, all of whom seem like good eggs (unlike generations past).  They seem to actually like each other, and I can see how someone like Southgate might blend well with them

9 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

I have a feeling the French can go up another gear.

They can but they can also switch off. 

Problem is Mbappe only needs half a yard to score a wonder goal, so you have to think we’ll need to score at least 2. Big arsk. 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Bold comparison but I hope you’re right :lol:

I'm not comparing him to Mbappe at all or comparing. He's just inevitable and a massive weapon. I'm talking about him, Bellingham and Foden being excellent. Saka doesn't get headlines either but he's so effective. He beats his man, gets his shot or cross off so often.

Edited by The College Dropout

14 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

All the Liverpool / Manchester-based players seem to suffer this a lot.

I’m constantly told by the press that the NW is preferable to the NE though 

House is in Surrey.

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

Im surprised Bellingham has taken so many headlines. Not because he wasn’t brilliant but because Foden deserves some of them too.

For me Foden seems to do a lot of the good work managers like Bruce wouldn’t recognise and would find himself on the bench. 

I think it’s part of reason he hasn’t had too much media recognition too.