Pele - moved to end of life care

Bizza

Hadn’t seen that compilation before; fantastic. He was a little bit before my time a his peak (remember him going to Cosmos). 

He had everything, Messi & Ronaldo combined and just better than Maradona was (that’s saying something). Strong, tricky, pace, good in the air and amazing resilience. 

He’d have been unplayable in today game.

On 03/12/2022 at 14:56, oldtype said:

Ali is probably on that tier as well. Was only thinking about team sports.

Remains to be seen if Messi and Ronaldo stand the test of time in the public conscience. If someone told me when I was a kid that fat Ronaldo wouldn’t even be the most famous footballer named Ronaldo in twenty years, I wouldn’t have believed them. Those two are on another tier in terms of achievements, obviously, but there’s also a lot of recency bias.

I highly doubt Messi and Ronaldo will be that highly regarded unless they win the world cup and play an important role in that. A good majority of football watchers don't care about club football or champions league. You have to deliver at a world cup to reach that all time great pedestal. I am not saying that is correct but that is the way it is for a decent majority. 

If Messi or Ronaldo do not win this world cup and do not score an iconic or important goal, forget Pele and Maradona, I feel they will be below Zidane in the global public conscience as time passes.

6 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

I highly doubt Messi and Ronaldo will be that highly regarded unless they win the world cup and play an important role in that. A good majority of football watchers don't care about club football or champions league. You have to deliver at a world cup to reach that all time great pedestal. I am not saying that is correct but that is the way it is for a decent majority. 

If Messi or Ronaldo do not win this world cup and do not score an iconic or important goal, forget Pele and Maradona, I feel they will be below Zidane in the global public conscience as time passes.

Not sure I agree with this at all. Kids these days are absolutely obsessed with Messi and Ronaldo. More so than international football and world cup trophies. They're the ones who carry the legacy on.

Do kids these days really even know who Zidane is?

5 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Not sure I agree with this at all. Kids these days are absolutely obsessed with Messi and Ronaldo. More so than international football and world cup trophies. They're the ones who carry the legacy on.

Do kids these days really even know who Zidane is?

Kids who follow club football, absolutely. But there is a huge contingent of folks in places like Asia who rarely watch club football but watch world cup football religiously. For whom, unless you deliver on the international stage, it is nothing.  You go to the villages in India they know Pele and Maradona. They have no clue about Pele's and Maradona's achievements for Santos, the 1000 goals he scored, and Napoli. But they do know about Mexico 86 and Pele's achievements in the world cup. There is a romance associated with Pele's and Maradona's story which is missing from the Messi and CRonaldo narrative. 

By the way, it is not just with football. If you go to India's heartlands and talk to the regular folks, Dhoni is rated higher as a cricketer for his 92 not out in the world cup final than the 50000 runs which Kohli and Tendulkar have scored due to the impact. Of course, you wouldn't get that impression from India's social media or media outlets. 

On 04/12/2022 at 11:23, huss9 said:

really is a must watch.

cruyff turns, ronaldo chops, knuckleballs, rabonas, bicycle kicks...  the only thing he could never master was the Lauren Robert overhead backheel.

Didn’t see the Roeder shuffle never mind the Beardsley shuffle 😂

Great montage 👍🏻