The Semi-Finals: Argentina and France through

4 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

They're arrogant and lucky but they have that bloke up top and they also have very good defenders, Kounde, Hernandez, Upamecano have all been top drawer

Thought Upamecano was dodgy against England

Whilst Konate was fantastic tonight 

Wonder what Deschamps does for the final 

France were the worst team on the pitch for the second game in a row there, extremely fortunate that they won that. Morocco were all over them just couldn't get the ball in the back of the net. Really feel for Morocco there, completely understand their frustration, they'll feel, much as England will, that they lost that rather than France winning it. Hope Messi tears them a new one.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

France weakness is their left side going off last two games.

It's also been by far their biggest attacking strength through the tournament, tbf. Both players only want to go forward.

They have players in other areas to cover them defensively.

Edited by ponsaelius

10 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

They're arrogant and lucky but they have that bloke up top and they also have very good defenders, Kounde, Hernandez, Upamecano have all been top drawer

Eh and you forget to mention their best player by far in this tournament...

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

France with 2 shots against Argentina’s 24  and will win on penalties. 

The difference will be Messi and Alvarez, all due respect to England and Morocco but neither team have killer instinct on the pitch of that level.

5 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Full on Francophobia on fill display.  [emoji38]

It's not Francophobia for me, just think France have better players than they've shown. I have always liked a lot of their players individually, Giroud, Mbappe, Griezmann, Kante etc. Just thought that the best football they played was against Switzerland in the Euros 2020 but they went out in that game after being 3-1 up playing the best football of the tournament.

Feels to me like Benzema and Pogba's absence has probably allowed Deschamp to indulge his defensive football wet dream.

Don’t think Morocco ever looked like scoring in all honest and France seemingly play within themselves waiting for the extra time that doesn’t come and they could easily avoid anyway. Thought Tchouameni was class again.

Game too far from Morocco as expected. Great effort from them though. Amrabat and that other lad in midfield class again. Every sub they make is such a downgrade though, just don’t have the depth.

Hmm. Unpopular opinion on my part. France have been the best team in the tournament. Clinical.  Make their opponents huff and puff, but never really threatened. 

Still rooting for Argentina  Messi in the final though. It’s going to take a moment of magic to beat les bleus.

54 minutes ago, Disco said:

Don’t think Morocco ever looked like scoring in all honest and France seemingly play within themselves waiting for the extra time that doesn’t come and they could easily avoid anyway. Thought Tchouameni was class again.

Game too far from Morocco as expected. Great effort from them though. Amrabat and that other lad in midfield class again. Every sub they make is such a downgrade though, just don’t have the depth.

Yeah I understood why they made the subs, and the manager probably gets critiqued if he does nowt, but honestly thought they should have probably just plugged away with their starting players. Boufal was a big miss when he went off.

Edited by ponsaelius

Morocco did better than England imo. Offered far more in open play. Wasn’t scared of Mbappe for 90 minutes. 

France are comfortable fighting from the ropes.   They back themselves to do the business when it mattered.  

Morocoo got too much joy down France’s left. Deschamps adapted and they ended up pulling away with the 2nd.   

France have never been behind or even drawing when it really matters.  If they went behind I wonder how they react? But when level, they do enough to get ahead again.  

I do feel Alvarez and Messi will land a KO blow if they keep it up like that. But I hope they win it again. 

France's second goal showcased the teams outstanding technical ability, by the way. Tchouameni's pass excellent pass to some player (dont remember who) who drove forward passed to Mbappe who played a clever pass to Thuram who took on defenders, passed to Mbappe who took on like three defenders  and passed. Mbappe got a lucky break from the deflection on the assist but that entire sequence was excellent football under pressure from defenders.

Deschamps deserves credit for deploying Griezmann in the Pogba role. Griezmann has been brilliant in that role linking midfield to attack, driving the ball forward, taking the ball to the wings and providing dangerous crosses.

13 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

Full on Francophobia on fill display.  [emoji38]

It wouldn't be so bad if our cupboard wasn't so fecking bare. I'm not a jealous person but France being in the final again just pisses me off. Fourth final in 24 years, wtf?