The Semi-Finals: Argentina and France through

Messi has changed as a player too. Maybe not as markedly as Ronaldo has done. But he was a genuine flying winger when he first broke through, had a spell as a central centre forward, and has now started playing far deeper than ever before in last 2 years as he's slowed right down.

He also went from being a genuinely crap free kick taker to being the best in the world at it over what seemed like overnight.

Ronaldo's physical decline this season has been pretty shocking. I actually thought his physical longevity was outshining Messi (maybe it is still - he is two years older after all) and allowing him to stay influential longer. But I think missing a summer pre-season this year has fucked him. He has looked painfully slow chasing after the ball at times.

Maybe he can still have a Zlatan type revival even into his twilight years - but it probably needs another reinvention of style and even more importantly an acceptance that he can't start and play every single game.

8 hours ago, Flip said:

With time I hope people will realize what a player Cristiano was and admire that a lot his faults is what made him become one of the greatest to ever play this game. I’ve never been his biggest fan, but he made a nation believe in something that for so long was impossible to believe in. He brought the second biggest trophy in international football home. Seeing people happy at the demise of him as an individual and calling it a major highlight is sad and shows that a lot of football fans nowadays focus on the wrong thing.

His role in Euro 2016 is completely overstated. He scored in 2 games out of 6 and they won the final without him

6 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Ronaldo hasnt been able to maintain his game endurance the way Messi has. Ronaldo to his credit has been able to be 2 or 3 different players in his career, Messi has pretty much been one. Neither is better than the other, there's arguments why both could be seen as better than the other. I still think peak Ronaldo matches peak Messi, in entirely different ways, and maybe Ronaldo has had more than one peak? Maybe thats horseshit. I think its unfair to say his greatest personal achievement is being part of Messi v Ronaldo, he didnt create that, "we" did. It is sad to see a bit of a clamour from him in recent years to justify his "greatness" in the whole Ronaldo v Messi universe. He neednt. 

We should all disavow the whole Messi v Ronaldo circus. I cant think over any time in history Ive read about where this kind of weird comparison has happened in football. 

Messi's been an out and out LW, an LF, a 10, a false 9, and then started playing as a Xavi, Iniesta, Messi hybrid who runs entire games, breaks lines, and finishes off chances.

I can't even entertain the idea that Ronaldo was ever comparable to him tbh. I think it's totally daft. Their goal output is comparable, but that's about it.

It might just be me but I find Messi equally as dislikable as Ronaldo in terms of arrogant/egotistical behaviour. That interview where he’s being a prick to Weghost and the “dance now” clip from the penalties of the Copa America is just two of many examples. 

Two absolute peak performers. Two people who’s egos are out of control. 

7 hours ago, triggs said:

Mad how the Dutch act like cunts in every world cup and get away with it compared to South American teams. Their efforts to put off Lautaro Martinez before the penalty was much worse than anything Argentina did

That’s not true at all, thats actually a load of shit. Argentina were being cunts up 2-0. :lol: Paredes at 2-1 caused a melee (for some reason beyond me, he wasn’t sent off) Dutch then had momentum when they equalized and tried to pay it back, but Argentina ended up with the last laugh. Let’s not rewrite the story of the game though, just because one loves Messi. 

9 hours ago, St1pe said:

It might just be me but I find Messi equally as dislikable as Ronaldo in terms of arrogant/egotistical behaviour. That interview where he’s being a prick to Weghost and the “dance now” clip from the penalties of the Copa America is just two of many examples. 

Two absolute peak performers. Two people who’s egos are out of control. 

Nah not as bad as Cristiano at all. Messi is becoming more Argentinian though. He gets away with  a lot of diving. Probably been the player that has dived the most at this World Cup, but guess what? He won the Copa America last year being more Argentinian and might win the WC because of it as well, so credit to him not being the nice guy anymore.

5 hours ago, Flip said:

That’s not true at all, thats actually a load of shit. Argentina were being cunts up 2-0. :lol: Paredes at 2-1 caused a melee (for some reason beyond me, he wasn’t sent off) Dutch then had momentum when they equalized and tried to pay it back, but Argentina ended up with the last laugh. Let’s not rewrite the story of the game though, just because one loves Messi. 

What Paredes did was stupid but ultimately completely harmless. 

I've seen a lot of penalty shoot outs and I don't think I've ever seen a team do what the Dutch tried to do to Lautaro before the last penalty

Edited by triggs

7 hours ago, triggs said:

I've seen a lot of penalty shoot outs and I don't think I've ever seen a team do what the Dutch tried to do to Lautaro before the last penalty

Yes, but Paredes got the game to catch on fire with that situation, so wasn’t really harmless. Was worse than the mindgames that happen everytime. Casemiro tried it with Modric as well.

South Americans have quite a lot of temperament and can be quite sour winners/losers as seen by Uruguay this WC and by many sides from the whole continent in Copa Libertadores. But no one, no one in South American football even comes close to this argentinian side :lol: Not even in club football. And mostly due to three players, but especially Otamendi. Go back to 2018. Otamendi kicked a ball in Rakitic and Pogbas face in two separate matches. The Copa America final last year he did similar. Otamendi is Pepe on cocaine basically and he’s their leader at the back. 

Would love for Messi to win this, and seriously, no one in world football is more deserving of it than him and same goes for their fans (despite having a huge problem with racism, put talking purely out of passion and dedication), but I hope his team burns up tonight because of his teammates. 

9 hours ago, triggs said:

Those were definitely 2 yellow card offences in the space of 10 seconds.

The result tonight will largely dictate the extent to which I pay an interest in what's left of the tournament tbh. From an entertainment perspective, it has to be an Argentina win for me.

Croatia are a hard watch, as relentless a team as they are.