World Cup Final: Argentina 3-3 France (4-2 pens) - Argentina are world champions

It's not often I want Argentinian success but I'll be much happier to see Messi finally win the big one than another French victory.

That Messi will do so as a 35 year old driving force compared to a 37 year old Cronaldo seemingly doing nothing but embarrass himself nowadays just make it all the more satisfying. 

Upamecano and Hernandez had to resort to physical challenges to handle Saka and Mount. Now imagine Messi driving at them. I also don't think the French defense has had to handle a dual threat like Messi and Alvarez in the penalty box yet. Argentinian midfield will more than match the French midfield. Of course, Mbappe and Griezmann against the Argentinian defense is another intriguing battle. But I expect Scaloni to find a solution for that as he has at every challenge thrown at him since the first game. 

Although I don't think it should really factor in, Argentina winning it and Messi ticking it off the list of GOAT indicators feels too perfect.

France really do remind me of that treble CL winning Real Madrid team and I think they'll get the job done unfortunately. 

Would love Messi and Alvarez to tear them up, be a huge ask, though. Might need to be cleverer than they have been so far but also looking to attack with intent. Think it'll be a good game, just gutted it's not an evening match.

Wonder if Di Maria will be back.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

25 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Upamecano and Hernandez had to resort to physical challenges to handle Saka and Mount. Now imagine Messi driving at them. I also don't think the French defense has had to handle a dual threat like Messi and Alvarez in the penalty box yet. Argentinian midfield will more than match the French midfield. Of course, Mbappe and Griezmann against the Argentinian defense is another intriguing battle. But I expect Scaloni to find a solution for that as he has at every challenge thrown at him since the first game. 

I think after tonight Deschamps picks Konate, he was fantastic 

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I think after tonight Deschamps picks Konate, he was fantastic 

His performance in the PL is going under the radar a bit. He has been our best defender since he joined whenever he plays. Has pace, comfortable on the ball, can handle the PL physicality. Overall a quality signing for us. 

I wish there was a way where only Messi won it and not his teammates. Despite that, what a fucking fairytale send off it would be if he won it. Kill all the talk of whom between Cristiano and him is the best of this generation.

I’m starting to lean more towards Argentina beacuse of Lionel Messi, and as a Brazilian that says it all. We will see how the feeling is on Sunday though :lol:

Depending upon the timing of the first goal, this could be a classic final. Reckon they’re quite evenly matched. Both teams have brilliance within and both have vulnerabilities. For what it is worth, I would have back the England squad against either (particularly in a league). 

5 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Depending upon the timing of the first goal, this could be a classic final. Reckon they’re quite evenly matched. Both teams have brilliance within and both have vulnerabilities. For what it is worth, I would have back the England squad against either (particularly in a league). 

I think it’s going to be a boring stalemate. Two defensive well organized teams that don’t commit many players forward. Going to be up to Messi or Mbappé to show the way.

I agree in regards to England. I think the two best sides on each side of the bracket lost in the QF as well, and undeservedly so. 

Get the impression Argentina are absolutely hellbent on winning it this time round. I think as a team they are more than the sum of their parts and is what will edge them past France.

Also, wouldn't mind Messi winning it a) because he deserves that crowning moment to his absurd career, and b) might finally shut some mongs up in the Messi/Ronaldo "debate".

Edited by Neil

I badly want Messi to win it, just feel that France will do enough to win it.

I think France have the better squad but also less pressure, they're the holders so losing it feels less disastrous and they'll also be very much genuine contenders in 2026 whereas I don't see this Argentina side being much of a threat (though still some time for that to change).

Also, I think France will level with Brazil in the next 3-4 tournaments. 

Team France here. I’m already a bit sick of the Messi love in and it’ll be insufferable if Argentina win. I’m aware of how much of a horrid, cynical view that is. 

I genuinely like this French side though. Giroud’s career arc and how he’s finally getting recognition, Griezmann has probably been the most under rated performer of the tournament and Tchouameni has bossed parts of their games. All without their apparent superstars like Pogba and Benzema. 

2 hours ago, St1pe said:

Team France here. I’m already a bit sick of the Messi love in and it’ll be insufferable if Argentina win. I’m aware of how much of a horrid, cynical view that is. 

I genuinely like this French side though. Giroud’s career arc and how he’s finally getting recognition, Griezmann has probably been the most under rated performer of the tournament and Tchouameni has bossed parts of their games. All without their apparent superstars like Pogba and Benzema. 

Genuine question here, why would it be insufferable if Messi had won it? All this Messi love has been out there for at least a decade, the guy brings much joy to the sport in a different style than any other player I can think of. Crowning him with a world cup at the end of his career is just so fitting IMO.  

6 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Genuine question here, why would it be insufferable if Messi had won it? All this Messi love has been out there for at least a decade, the guy brings much joy to the sport in a different style than any other player I can think of. Crowning him with a world cup at the end of his career is just so fitting IMO.  

I totally get it’s a prick perspective and can’t even put my finger on why. I think it’s a gripe with social media narratives and modern day casual fans rather than the man himself mind but that doesn’t paint me in any better of a picture… because you’re right - it would be fitting. 

Still Allez le bleu!! 🇫🇷