Newcastle United 1-0 Bournemouth (20/12/2022)

Disco

49 minutes ago, STM said:

We were easily the better side and just lacked a cutting edge, which has been an issue that crops up from time to time but thankfully once Botman and Schar got to grips with the Ogre up front, we were pretty cosy.

A few players looked off it, Miggy, Trippier and Willock. On the other hand, Bruno, Joelinton and Wilson looked lively.

Interesting that Joelinton out wide works in some games more than others. He was much better when moved centrally.

ASM looked sharp too. I felt we didn't get the ball to him enough.

Good summing up, was in the Strawberry corner and felt the same. Quite a few players slightly off the pace but to be expected really. Still we’re through and a good run out for most of the players which is ideal pre Leicester and still with a few days to train this week. Great that Wilson got a good run out and ASM showing some sharpness. 

Bar the odd foray forward B’mouth basically had everyone behind the ball.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

1 hour ago, STM said:

We were easily the better side and just lacked a cutting edge, which has been an issue that crops up from time to time but thankfully once Botman and Schar got to grips with the Ogre up front, we were pretty cosy.

A few players looked off it, Miggy, Trippier and Willock. On the other hand, Bruno, Joelinton and Wilson looked lively.

Interesting that Joelinton out wide works in some games more than others. He was much better when moved centrally.

ASM looked sharp too. I felt we didn't get the ball to him enough.

Spot on. Enjoyed the game and seats in, new to me, upper central section of East stand. Hope Miggy is just getting back up to speed and hasn’t shot his resurgent bolt! 

37 minutes ago, Pata said:

Even absolutely perfect match aside from those two decisions would mean he was shite. It's a sport where games often end 0-0 or 1-0, you just can't get decisions like that so wrong.

The offside was not the call from the referee and the handball was a rocket shot that was difficult to call in real time.  For goodness sake, stop having a go at referees when everything doesn't go your way.  To call him shite is absolutely outrageous.

Was quite impressed with Jaidon Anthony for them, impossible to assess his end product tonight but he looked really skillful and quite intelligent. Appreciated the "wewww who the fuck's that like?!" from the lad behind me after one nice piece of skill :lol:

Looked him up after and he's from Hackney and was in the Arsenal system for 10 years before Bournemouth, which adds up. 

Edited by Interpolic

Was there last night. Thought we did OK all things considered, going so long without a competitive game and playing against a team that had just came to spoil the game and time waste. Nowhere near our best but still managed to control things with just a couple of scares in the 2nd half and Pope once again showing how important he is, being a virtual spectator for the most part but making a couple of quality saves when needed.

Obviously being there I didn't have the benefit of commentary but there were 2 big controversial decisions both went against us and it was difficult to see why. The disallowed goal looked fine (I was in the Gallowgate), the linesman didn't flag for anything and the ref seemed happy enough with it. Then a couple of Bournemouth players complain, he walks over to the linesman amd he flags for offside when it was clear he literally didn't have a clue and was clearly told to do it!

Then we had what looked like a clear penalty turned down for a handball. Granted I was down the other end of the ground but even from where I was sat it looked like a blatant penalty. Summed up a pretty odd display from the referee and I never thought I'd say this but I'll be glad of VAR making its return on Boxing Day. I don't think enough of our referees these days can be trusted to make the right calls without it.

Anyway we're into the Quarters in a competition we have a hideous record in, and that's what's most important.

43 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Agreed with Wilson being offside, thought Willock was definitely interfering with play. No idea why it took so long to flag.

Thought the handball was a clear pen to us.

The referee and linesman were both happy with the goal originally. Linesman didn't flag and it looked like the ref gave it. Bournemouth players surrounded him and he went over to speak to the linesman who then decided to flag for offside. Was pretty bizarre to be honest and goes against the famous old saying that you should never argue with the referee because he's not going to change his decision.

10 hours ago, BonesJones said:

I don't because I can't remember us having the ball that much for it to be that type of game.

Get used to this imo, our style means most teams will sit back, and we will pen them in, limiting them to the odd counter. Basically the reverse of the football we used to watch.

Great, isn’t it?  Like ten angry B&W hornets swarming every team that comes to SJP

From watching on TV the commentators over here (Spain) thought that it wasn´t an offside, think it was longstaff to the right who was offside but had no involvement in the play for the goal and didn´t obstruct keeper´s view. They also thought that it was a stonewall penalty as the trajectory of the ball was changed and defenders now should have arms at side of body.

Thought our final ball/play was very rusty and they were hard to break down as well.

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Great, isn’t it?  Like ten angry B&W hornets swarming every team that comes to SJP

Fucking fantastic.

Highlights to me how handy it would be having that Maddison type in the team for those type of games. Bruno and Joe breaking everything up, feeding Maddison who cracks the code of the defence.

Clean sheet 

Win

Into the next round !

Negative 

Atmosphere was terrible again (same as the palace cup game) - It’s strange how 51,000 people can make such little noise or want to get involved (Strawberry corner always give it a go and could be heard trying to get things going in the second half) 

Disjointed performance on the pitch with some poor play at times ,  mixed with a few glimpses of what we can do.

(expected to be fair)

Roll on the league games and let’s hope we get a home tie in the quarters and make some Noise. 

overall - Job done (quarters here we come)