Leicester City vs. Newcastle United - 26/12/22 @ 3pm (Amazon Prime Video)

HaydnNUFC

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

The latter.

A year ago a point would have been great, now it would just be ok. 

Only thing we have to fear really is that the WC might have knocked the momentum, so this could end up as anything....time to see how good Eddie really is

Just now, gjohnson said:

A year ago a point would have been great, now it would just be ok. 

Only thing we have to fear really is that the WC might have knocked the momentum, so this could end up as anything....time to see how good Eddie really is

If we lose 0-2 that's no slight on Howe or the players.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

If we lose 0-2 that's no slight on Howe or the players.

No not in the slightest...but before the break we looked and felt invincible, and losing to Leicester would be an unpleasant reminder that we're not

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

The latter.

Feel like us winning or the game being a draw is a fair bit more likely than Leicester winning so that just doesn't make sense, to me.

Especially when you consider that it's giving up the chance of three points to secure one. Particularly given how hard we've been to beat all year anyway.

I think there are so many unknowns and variables due to the World Cup break that this round of games is pretty much a free pass and no-one should be judged on the results. And I’m expecting a few surprising results. 

But I’m just hoping that our quality in defence will be the difference here, despite rustiness in the squad. Leicester will be rusty too. 

Edited by LV

Just now, Shak said:

Feel like us winning or the game being a draw is a fair bit more likely than Leicester winning so that just doesn't make sense, to me.

Especially when you consider that it's giving up the chance of three points to secure one. Particularly given how hard we've been to beat all year anyway.

We’ll see how it goes, but I don’t have a great feeling about it for whatever reason. Leicester were firing before the break, too.

20 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

No not in the slightest...but before the break we looked and felt invincible, and losing to Leicester would be an unpleasant reminder that we're not

At some point we were/are going to lose anyway and Leicester were also on an upwards trajectory and has a lot of quality, so a loss away to them even if we were playing them before the WC was not beyond me.

3 hours ago, Shak said:

Presume the only question mark is whether we'll start Longstaff or ASM. Joelinton playing in CM or LW depending on the choice that's made there.

Assuming he's fully fit, I'd hope we go for ASM but would understand Longstaff getting the nod. Can see the logic in leaving Joelinton on the left against a team who can play a bit like Leicester can, him along with Wilson and Almiron is such a relentless trio to press high and get the ball back. I just don't know if Allan is ever gonna get there in that regard and it's always gonna be something that'll have to be taken into consideration. He needs to be absolutely dynamite in attack to justify what we lose in pressing.

Could start both and bench Willock?  Longstaff is a really good presser and is probably better at the defensive side than Willock.  Although I do find him infuriating when he has the ball, as he often seems wasteful and a second too slow.  

I think it will more than likely be the same XI that started last night.  With ASM to come off the bench again if we are chasing a result.  

I'm going to this, so I hope it's a good game, anyway.  My only other visit there was a thoroughly forgettable 0-0 in the Championship. 

Every time I see this thread and where the match can be viewed, I keep thinking you need to go and rent it out on VHS like it's a sketchy Blockbuster. I know it's daft but it's just the mental picture I get with reading "Amazon Prime Video".

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Could start both and bench Willock?  Longstaff is a really good presser and is probably better at the defensive side than Willock.  Although I do find him infuriating when he has the ball, as he often seems wasteful and a second too slow.  

I think it will more than likely be the same XI that started last night.  With ASM to come off the bench again if we are chasing a result.  

I'm going to this, so I hope it's a good game, anyway.  My only other visit there was a thoroughly forgettable 0-0 in the Championship. 

Probably be the same team as last night, tend to agree.  I'd stick with Willock over Longstaff personally but I can see the argument.

If we do go for a Joelinton, Bruno, Willock trio I'd be interested in seeing Joelinton on the right side of that trio. Willock seems to play much better when he's on the left side.

24 minutes ago, Shak said:

Probably be the same team as last night, tend to agree.  I'd stick with Willock over Longstaff personally but I can see the argument.

If we do go for a Joelinton, Bruno, Willock trio I'd be interested in seeing Joelinton on the right side of that trio. Willock seems to play much better when he's on the left side.

If ASM plays having Joelinton behind him works really well -off the ball Joelinton covers the defensive duties so well ASM can be left high up the pitch as a great outlet on the break. In possession, teams doubling up on ASM gives Joelinton space for his driving runs. I don’t think the willock/ASM combination would work as well.

2 hours ago, Shak said:

I’d also rather Willock than Longstaff. Just second guessing what Howe might do.

I think Longstaff gives Bruno a bit more freedom. As I thought second half, he sat deeper than Bruno a lot of the while. He’s not great in that holding role, but seems to be trusted to do it in the 3. The only others being Bruno and Shelvey.