The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

605 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I don’t see us faltering away completely because we drew at home to West Ham :lol: 

the top 4 race is up in the air for a handful of teams. Hopefully we figure our attack out sooner than later as I think we’ve got the tactics and defense spot on. 

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I don’t see us faltering away completely because we drew at home to West Ham :lol: 

the top 4 race is up in the air for a handful of teams. Hopefully we figure our attack out sooner than later as I think we’ve got the tactics and defense spot on. 

This.

If we have Bruno and Isak yesterday its a very different game. We're probably still a midfielder light, but considering we had Anderson on for that last 10 minutes and were the better team we might get away with it. Obviously suspensions and injuries are the big risk, but the club is far ahead of where we all thought we would be. 

I'm hoping this run of draws is similar to August/September and that our October/November (ie battering everyone!) will come soon.

As for top 4, part of me thinks we probably won't get it because of a lack of squad depth, but I also can't make a strong case for anyone below us getting it either. Spurs are probably most likely. I think 9 wins (and a few draws) will be enough for us to do it.

The good thing is most of the draws should have been wins rather than defeats. Can't think of many of the wins that should have been draws or defeats. We're very good still, just going to take another 2-3 windows to get to that stage.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The good thing is most of the draws should have been wins rather than defeats. Can't think of many of the wins that should have been draws or defeats. We're very good still, just going to take another 2-3 windows to get to that stage.

The only game we should've lost that we didnt was Brighton. Arsenal didnt create enough.

3 hours ago, Froggy said:

Strange enough take this. :lol: we've been good for 90% of the season. 

We're not close to you by the way, you're close to us. 

Oh I am aware it makes no sense as a take, it's not meant to be a serious complaint. I think it's just selective from when I've watched match of the day, or when i watch you get hammered by city in a pub and then never bother watching when you win boringly or something. It's more just slight frustration of us being very consistent and not letting in goals and still not clear of teams...

I still think we’ll fall away and finish 5th or 6th. We just don’t have the squad depth. We’re still a million miles ahead of where I thought we’d be this time last year. More than happy enjoying the ride!

If we ignore our current points total and only look at results of like-for-like fixtures … ManU are +9 pts on us, Spurs -2 pts, Liverpool 0 pts, Chelsea -4 pts.

For example ManU beat West Ham at home 1-0 (3 pts), we draw with West Ham at home 1-1 (1 pts).

I think this gives a better picture of how we are doing against our 3rd/4th place rivals.

I got really annoyed at all the people saying we'd drop out the top four as some matter of fact thing pre World Cup but it does look that way. Teams have learnt how to nullify us and the lack of depth has become far more of an obvious problem too.

I have no idea whether we'll drop out the top four or not, the fact it's even a consideration is absolutely mental and a testament to Howe and the team.

There's a long old way to go and Gordon, ASM, and Isak will have a massive part to play. If we manage to hit somewhere near the 70 point mark we have every chance.

I'd love to see us finish in the top four, but rather than seeing it as something we must do, I'd recommend just enjoying the ride. It makes it a lot less stressful and if we just miss out it will still have been an incredible effort, rather than a missed opportunity.

Just now, Miggys First Goal said:

Yesterday was the first time in a while this season that I've thought we might not make top four this season.

Top six would still be a massive achievement.

And now Spurs have just scored.

It’s 1 game. Eddie wants it all, all of it! 

:howe:

We're not finishing in the top 4 like, absolutely no chance.

We've had a phenomenal season whatever happens, no doubt (unless we lose no end of games between now and end of season and end up finishing 10th or something) but we're nowhere near good enough to finish in the top 4. We had a chance but our squad is so wafer thin, and the back ups we have so poor that we're going to slip up.

Top 6 would be fantastic, but that in itself brings more pressure for next season, we can't go backwards from that and the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea will be a lot better, it's a great conversation to be in but pressure on Howe and the team are going to be significantly different next season.

2 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

As do I. I see no harm in wanting both a cup win and a top four finish. But I'm not going to become depressed if it doesn't happen. It will eventually. I've waited this long. I can wait a little longer.

Yes, but don’t keep looking for us falling off our perch just yet. We are where we are on merit, in-spite of the odd injured/banned player, sub par performance. We did it a year ago on scraps at times. Our position is justified and the team will fight tooth and nail to maintain it. I too won’t be down if we do not achieve top 4. But I’m living in dream world right now and if the dreams alive, I’ll believe. Just as I believed when we should never have survived relegation on paper last year. 

the futures bright, the futures black and white! :indi:

Interesting thread. Basically we're massively underperforming in terms of our xG, 4 open play goals from 8.63 xG since Boxing Day. Since the post WC restart we're 2nd to Man City in xG difference. We're just missing a lot of chances and yesterday was no different. On another day Wilson gets a hattrick if not a brace which he should've had at least.

We're not out of this race by any means.

Edited by HaydnNUFC