The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

605 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I think we'll stop drawing so many games when Isak gets a proper run in the team. But I do think we draw far too much to make the top 4. Lets see what happens, despite today Spurs have been pretty poor this season so we might still get over the line. 

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

A mediocre window has cost us here. Won’t be another opportunity like this for a while, unfortunately. We’ll finish 5th.

That's a bit overdramatic like. The opportunity hasn't gone and if we're good enough will be there for seasons to come.

3 minutes ago, SAK said:

Gotta admit we’ve gone off the boil lately and had an opportunity to strengthen for a push for a champions league place but didn’t take it. Gain that CL place makes us attractive to elite players, sign those players then success follows. Being conservative, being afraid of FFP implications may cost us in the long run.

we spent £40m :lol:

Being more reckless and ignoring ffp implications might just as well have cost us in the long run, surely people see that :lol:

Blows my mind that we're sat in 4th this far into the first proper season of the takeover and people are complaining, literally cannot comprehend it

"actually we do demand a team that wins" for new display I reckon

Edited by OpenC

3 minutes ago, GWN said:

we spent £40m :lol:

Gordon looks a great addition but what we needed was a ball playing CM which we don’t have aside from Bruno. Appreciate opportunism came into my play with his situation at Everton. Without Bruno we didn’t move the ball around well and not bringing someone in who can do similar may cost us and it obvious to everyone that we needed another cm even before Bruno’s suspension.

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

That's a bit overdramatic like. The opportunity hasn't gone and if we're good enough will be there for seasons to come.

Agreeed. I can understand the frustration, but it is football peasant thinking to see this as the only opportunity.. The new owners believe that tghey are going to put together a squad that will have many opportunities. If we miss out on 4th this season, it's not the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination. Most people here seemed fairly content with a top 8 finish at the beginning of the season. Things obviously have gone much better since then. Will it be disappointing if we miss out on 4th? Yes. Disaster? No.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

3 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Being more reckless and ignoring ffp implications might just as well have cost us in the long run, surely people see that :lol:

Blows my mind that we're sat in 4th this far into the first proper season of the takeover and people are complaining, literally cannot comprehend it

"actually we do demand a team that wins" for new display I reckon

Some may have had the “ a team that tries” mantra but for most when PIF came in with massive resources the expectations adjusted and why shouldn’t they based on what the Chairman has said in interviews to Saudi media about a team challenging for the biggest honours.

Just now, SAK said:

Some may have had the “ a team that tries” mantra but for most when PIF came in with massive resources the expectations adjusted and why shouldn’t they based on what the Chairman has said in interviews to Saudi media about a team challenging for the biggest honours.

Challenging for the biggest honours within 12 months? Come on man, you can't buy the best team in the world unless the best team in the world wants to come to you, and they just fucking didn't, one or two worthy exceptions aside

I think it's important to acknowledge just how close we are to cracking it here. Had we scored another goal in just 4 of the 10 draws then we'd be legitimately challenging for the title itself. The draws are disappointing but I think it's because we all know this season has been a bit weird and the perfect time to break the top 4 and stay there. No European football this season for us to deal with, Liverpool looking pigshit, Chelsea looking to transform their entire squad but throwing as much money as they can at it, Spurs being inconsistent, Leicester and West Ham falling away badly and Villa having the Gerrard handicap for half a season. Those things won't happen next year and it'll be a much tougher league next year. This, surprisingly, was the year to take full advantage and I think most know it. 

Just because the usual suspects are looking shaky it doesn't entitle us to become suddenly magnificent, though. We've obviously got targets and a plan, we're obviously not prepared to compromise by paying over the odds on inevitably overpriced players who aren't seen as improving us

You don't just win a league only because everybody else is suddenly shit. Sometimes people win because they're fucking fantastic :lol: I'd rather do that, honestly

Edited by OpenC

Context of where we are now is key. Yes its seems crazy for people to be frustrated given where we are compared to previous years, but there is still no getting away from the fact that we're drawing too many games that we are dominating and should be winning. 

Edited by Decky

4 minutes ago, midds said:

I think it's important to acknowledge just how close we are to cracking it here. Had we scored another goal in just 4 of the 10 draws then we'd be legitimately challenging for the title itself. The draws are disappointing but I think it's because we all know this season has been a bit weird and the perfect time to break the top 4 and stay there. No European football this season for us to deal with, Liverpool looking pigshit, Chelsea looking to transform their entire squad but throwing as much money as they can at it, Spurs being inconsistent, Leicester and West Ham falling away badly and Villa having the Gerrard handicap for half a season. Those things won't happen next year and it'll be a much tougher league next year. This, surprisingly, was the year to take full advantage and I think most know it. 

I agree with all this and I will be slightly disappointed when we fall out the top 4 but for me this was always a transition year from being totally shit to being average-good to being totally fucking class. First half of the season we skipped the average-good section and I hope they’ll continue picking up points and frustrating the fuck outta the rest of the league. 

Where we finish is a bonus to me at this point, 6th or above and I’m over the fucking moon. We’re only gonna get better once the commercial side is put on steroids and we attract top talent. 

I’ll be enjoying the journey 

We're competing for fourth a season after being relegation candidates. We have owners who are will invest vast sums into the team and a manager who will squeeze the maximum out of every single player. The future has never been brighter.

This league season is no more unique then any other. Circa 70 points sill always see you somewhere near CL football. There will always be teams having good seasons, shit seasons and indifferent seasons. Top four would be fantastic achievement this season with a limited squad, but it's not the end of the world if we miss out. 

Edited by The Prophet

I don't understand when people say we have to take advantage whilst other teams are struggling, let's say we finish top 4 does that mean next season it won't be a challenge again? Or the season after?

Every finishing top 4 will be a challenge but I'd much rather we do it gradually and sensibly than risk it because it might be in sight a bit quicker

We could easily have bought a few more players just for the sake of it and still finish 5th

I'd much rather wait and get our first choice targets. For example I'd rather wait for Maddison than just buy a player in this window gone who we would then be stuck with 

A bit of perspective and patience is needed

I just keep imagining a time traveller coming back to me at the start of the season to tell me how it's going by February (they don't have their priorities in order, admittedly)

They tell me that we're 4th, a point ahead of Spurs with a game in hand, 5 points behind Man City in 2nd, we've only lost once, have the third best goal difference in the league, the fewest goals conceded, 10 consecutive clean sheets in a row, breaking the club record, the 2nd best defence in Europe, we've played all of the top 6 - beating Chelsea at home, Spurs away, drawn against Man City at home, champions elect Arsenal away, Man United away, and lost controversially to Liverpool away. Most of our remaining games against those teams are at home.

...and oh yeah, we're in the League Cup final.

Our rolling 38 game points tally is only 2 points behind 95/96 with a -2 goal difference, yet we've been regularly playing Bruce-era players.

Sometimes you need to step out of the now a little bit. All of the above is insane and although we can always do better, unless you're supporting 08-14 Barcelona, that'll always be the case, there has to be a time when you enjoy the ride I think.

Edited by Kid Icarus

We had far worse iffy patches than this at the same time of the season under Keegan in two of the best seasons many of us ever lived through.

Were tiring and labouring a bit, plenty draws in the promotion season but we came through it and the injections of Sellars, Robinson and Cole had to have helped - won seven of the last eight or something.

The following season we lost three in a row but had signed Fox which had the added factor of being able to move Rob Lee into the middle. Stormed into third.

Isak, Bruno, Gordon even Ashby for squad tinkering can have the same effect.

We had these moans after a few home draws earlier in this season and since then we've been unbeaten (reserves in the cup aside) and reached a cup final. Is there not a lesson in that?

I dont think its moaning or anything wrong being said in this thread. We draw many games, we are light in midfield after selling the backup on deadlineday almost. When you dont have a midfielder on the bench its not ideal. Top teams are having an off season. Apart from that everything in the club is almost perfect

22 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I just keep imagining a time traveller coming back to me at the start of the season to tell me how it's going by February (they don't have their priorities in order, admittedly)

They tell me that we're 4th, a point ahead of Spurs with a game in hand, 5 points behind Man City in 2nd, we've only lost once, have the third best goal difference in the league, the fewest goals conceded, 10 consecutive clean sheets in a row, breaking the club record, the 2nd best defence in Europe, we've played all of the top 6 - beating Chelsea at home, Spurs away, drawn against Man City at home, champions elect Arsenal away, Man United away, and lost controversially to Liverpool away. Most of our remaining games against those teams are at home.

...and oh yeah, we're in the League Cup final.

Sometimes you need to step out of the now a little bit. All of the above is insane and although we can always do better, unless you're supporting 08-14 Barcelona, that'll always be the case, there has to be a time when you enjoy the ride I think.

Great post :)

26 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Apart from the potential arrivals Champions League football could bring, I actually think we could go all the way in Europa so maybe finishing 5th would be more beneficial?

This. 

CL would be too much too soon for us imo.