The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

605 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

12 minutes ago, STM said:

Lads, if we win our game in hand, we are literally 3 points off Man Utd. That's the equivalent of us converting two of our draws, let's say Leeds and Palace at home (where we were denied a legitimate goal), into being 3rd in the league. 3rd man. :lol:

We've been fucking astonishing this season. Just over a year ago we had Ciaran Clark and Matt Richie in our back four, now we have the best defence in the league. Just to be clear, we have the best defence in the league, without playing a negative style whatsoever. It's absolute unreal.

We've got a long term spine of Pope, Botman, Bruno and Isak. We've got a manager getting every player performing at their max potential. We've got owners who are killing it on and off the pitch.

Its at this stage where I don't even knowing who I'm ranting to.[emoji38] I'm just buzzing. We are getting better and better.

Will we finish top 4? We might. We just might.... and that in itself it a bloody miracle.

It's even better than that, if we win our games in hand we go into 3rd, Man United is the second game so it would put us on 50 points and ahead on GD if we beat them, both with 27 games played.

If Spurs beat Southampton they go 3rd on 51 points and 28 games played, but us and Man United will have a game in hand on them.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Spurs implosion :lol:

We're 4 points off them with two games in hand and they have to come to SJP.

Getting 4th is going to be hard but it's very clearly still in play and I think we'll give it a good go. Isak is the key for me, if he plays like he did last Sunday for the rest of the season I think we'll do it.

51 minutes ago, Shak said:

Spurs implosion :lol:

We're 4 points off them with two games in hand and they have to come to SJP.

Getting 4th is going to be hard but it's very clearly still in play and I think we'll give it a good go. Isak is the key for me, if he plays like he did last Sunday for the rest of the season I think we'll do it.

Agree with this, Isak will be the difference between 4th and 6th for us. He’s a match winner; exactly what we need right now. Saw it posted elsewhere and it fits perfectly ‘commeth the hour, commeth the man’. It’s gonna be an exciting end to the season. 

Edited by BoSelecta

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Final thoughts on Brighton is that if it's not us I hope it's them. They're a superbly well ran football club.

I just the likes of Spurs will have a bit too much consistency for them.

Absolutely, I've got all the time in the world for Brighton. I find them extremely likeable and I'm so pleased for them (and the league, tbh) that they haven't crumbled post-Potter; it would have been so depressing all round given how shit it's gone for him at Chelsea. 

I think so low of Potter now, like. So grim he went to that disgusting club instead of continuing to carry Brighton on that brilliant trajectory. 

If they finish 4th and we finish 5th then it's been a class season for the league. My aversion to the Champions League definitely aids this position. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Absolutely, I've got all the time in the world for Brighton. I find them extremely likeable and I'm so pleased for them (and the league, tbh) that they haven't crumbled post-Potter; it would have been so depressing all round given how shit it's gone for him at Chelsea. 

I think so low of Potter now, like. So grim he went to that disgusting club instead of continuing to carry Brighton on that brilliant trajectory. 

If they finish 4th and we finish 5th then it's been a class season for the league. My aversion to the Champions League definitely aids this position. :lol:

I like Brighton too. Our home game with them is very important.

I know Kanji's just being a scamp but for the record I'm not saying that; of course I want us to finish as high as possible, notwithstanding any disdain for future competitions we would enter as a result. Just anything that disrupts the so-called 'big six' is, imo, a great thing, and if we were to miss out on 4th, I'd feel better - as a football fan - if it were Brighton as opposed to Liverpool or, God forbid, Chelsea. 

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I know Kanji's just being a scamp but for the record I'm not saying that; of course I want us to finish as high as possible, notwithstanding any disdain for future competitions we would enter as a result. Just anything that disrupts the so-called 'big six' is, imo, a great thing, and if we were to miss out on 4th, I'd feel better - as a football fan - if it were Brighton as opposed to Liverpool or, God forbid, Chelsea. 

I agree with Kanji tbh, it would be even more deflating if the Big Six's domination was broken by a club like Brighton. It would only emphasise that we had this in our grasp and blew it.

I think Brighton getting fourth would be more damaging to our long-term prospects than any of the usual suspects, tbh, not least because we might well be in for a Brighton player or two this summer if we can achieve a top four finish.

Agree with the point that it would represent an opportunity missed this season, but I wouldn't necessarily see it as having any material impact on our long-term prospects. Champions League was always an unlikely bonus this season. 

It's a moot point anyway cos Brighton aren't gonna finish fourth. Ultimately my perspectives have changed over the years. Of course I'm NUFC well above anything else but tbh I can get on board with pretty much anything which upsets the status quo. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Agree with the point that it would represent an opportunity missed this season, but I wouldn't necessarily see it as having any material impact on our long-term prospects. Champions League was always an unlikely bonus this season. 

It might not have any material impact, but psychologically it would detract from our achievements this season. Instead of people admiring how much progress we'd made, there'd be more comments along the lines of, well they let Brighton overtake them after being in a CL position for a good stretch of the season.

I think the players want to be looking up at big six rivals, not down at smaller clubs still achieving more.

34 minutes ago, TRon said:

It might not have any material impact, but psychologically it would detract from our achievements this season. Instead of people admiring how much progress we'd made, there'd be more comments along the lines of, well they let Brighton overtake them after being in a CL position for a good stretch of the season.

I think the players want to be looking up at big six rivals, not down at smaller clubs still achieving more.

At the beginning of the season, the aim of many was to break into the pack of teams below the traditional "big six", including Brighton.

Even under Potter they were a very well coached outfit and were seen as a superior squad prior to a ball bring kicked, they have a few players that would walk into our side. The whole "we can't finish below Brighton" just sounds like pure arrogance.

57 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

At the beginning of the season, the aim of many was to break into the pack of teams below the traditional "big six", including Brighton.

Even under Potter they were a very well coached outfit and were seen as a superior squad prior to a ball bring kicked, they have a few players that would walk into our side. The whole "we can't finish below Brighton" just sounds like pure arrogance.

My expectations at best were to finish 7th and I would have been delighted by that. But that was because I assumed we couldn't finish above the big six ( and in reality probably still won't) but considering Brighton have lost a couple of key players, and their manager, I would be disappointed if they still manage to overhaul us. Not massively, because you are right, they did have a head start, but still I would be disappointed. Just a tad.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

This not true.

We were talking about top 6 + West Ham to finish 8th. Few people discussed being content with finishing below Brighton. Their summer window didn't have any renowned names either. They lost more hyped names than they signed.

They've just been brilliant in the boardroom and it's shown in the market and coach decisions.

Their whole development is well-ahead of course. And we haven't factored that. But it can still be slightly disappointing. 

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Missing out to Spurs or Liverpool wouldn't bother me because they're still on paper far better than us imo. If we missed out to Brighton though, I'd see that as a big opportunity missed. 

This. Because Spurs, Liverpool and the other big hitters have massively superior squads, built over a long period with substantial investment which we couldn't touch. Brighton have just been very well managed, and in fact probably had less resources than us, but have over-performed massively. They should be far easier to overhaul considering they have had to sell players and lost their manager this season.

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

This not true.

We were talking about top 6 + West Ham to finish 8th. Few people discussed being content with finishing below Brighton. Their summer window didn't have any renowned names either. They lost more hyped names than they signed.

They've just been brilliant in the boardroom and it's shown in the market and coach decisions.

Their whole development is well-ahead of course. And we haven't factored that. But it can still be slightly disappointing. 

You really rate Brighton :lol: