The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

610 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Just as an aside I think this season has shifted expectations wildly and I'm really hoping that when/if our form does dip and we start to drop a few points and lose a few people don't lose their shit. To be in the top 4 comfortably and purely on merit going into 2023 is phenomenal and beyond what anyone could have predicted or hoped for. If we do end up finishing 5th or 6th then it should still be seen as a huge step forward and I hope fans don't get negative about it - it would still be a better finish than most dared to predict in August. 

For the record I think I went with 8th or 9th before the season started 

10 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

We win the next two and I’ll start to believe.

What I cannot believe is how every other team in this league are shit all of a sudden. When did they all get so bad?

The second we put the first goal in our opponent becomes shit.

13 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

What I cannot believe is how every other team in this league are shit all of a sudden. When did they all get so bad?

When they come up against Eddie’s world-leading press…

10 minutes ago, midds said:

Just as an aside I think this season has shifted expectations wildly and I'm really hoping that when/if our form does dip and we start to drop a few points and lose a few people don't lose their shit. To be in the top 4 comfortably and purely on merit going into 2023 is phenomenal and beyond what anyone could have predicted or hoped for. If we do end up finishing 5th or 6th then it should still be seen as a huge step forward and I hope fans don't get negative about it - it would still be a better finish than most dared to predict in August. 

How anyone could lose their shit is beyond me! To not remember the joyous days we've just endured for 14 years, means they would not really be a fan because they skipped all that and have just rejoined us.

Just now, BonesJones said:

How anyone could lose their shit is beyond me! To not remember the joyous days we've just endured for 14 years, means they would not really be a fan because they skipped all that and have just rejoined us.

Yeah, I'm not saying people are losing their shit I just hope that a few disappointing results and a fall down the league a few places doesn't trigger anything. I don't think it will as most have the perspective you mention, just don't want any negativity. 

20 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

I think some of it is naivety when it comes to our press and the other team wanting to play how they normally would. 

Basically all teams now when playing us should go for the low block.

Edited by RodneyCisse

7 minutes ago, midds said:

Yeah, I'm not saying people are losing their shit I just hope that a few disappointing results and a fall down the league a few places doesn't trigger anything. I don't think it will as most have the perspective you mention, just don't want any negativity. 

Sounds like most of us are on the positivity train!

Tbh the way we play atm, I find it hard to see us going on much of bad run. Just feel we have something special that would turn it around quickly, especially as St.James' is a fortress once again!

How good are the other big teams going to be though from now on is going to be interesting. Based on the post-world cup round, looks like both Man Utd and Chelsea look like they came back ok albeit against teams they were expected to beat. 

End of January would be a good indicator of what they will be like moving forward after a lot of games have been played. Plus, they would start European games again in February which is a massive factor in my opinion.

Edited by nufcjb

43 minutes ago, midds said:

Absolutely this.

Im really confident of our chances and think we can win every game. But I def won’t be chucking any toys out the pram if we do have a dip and start losing a few. 

Edited by LV

3 hours ago, wormy said:

I think the bolded is worth remembering. I was thinking the same thing when the usual 'top at Christmas' stats were being churned out. I know it's only a handful of games difference to usual at this time of the year but it can make a big difference.

I'll be disappointed if we miss out on Europe but that's more just because I've gotten my hopes up. Looking forward to seeing how they approach the January window.

Exactly this - I live in Leicester so not many Newcastle fans around here but whenever anyone says to me something like “champions league football this season?” (and it’s happening A LOT) I always say “we’re not even half way through the season yet, long way to go”

Our fixtures seem kind compared to other seasons where we always seemed to play the harder games in one big month, unless I'm just more confident now 🤞

Get the likes of isak back and asm I believe we can not sure if I want us too mind 

2 hours ago, astraguy said:

Our fixtures seem kind compared to other seasons where we always seemed to play the harder games in one big month, unless I'm just more confident now 🤞

Get the likes of isak back and asm I believe we can not sure if I want us too mind 

Every game is hard when you're managed by a cabbage

Premier League form table now updated.

Premier League form table now updated – A must see for Newcastle United fans

Ahead of this upcoming weekend’s matches, this (see below) is how the Premier League form table looks.

Newcastle United having won 3-0 at Leicester, it is Leeds at St James’ Park up next.

Eddie Howe looking to build on Newcastle United’s current second place in the full table.

Here is the Premier League form table now, which covers the past six matches for all teams:

Premier-League-Form-Table-12-28-2022.webp

It's unlikely that Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool will be as bad in the second half of the season as the first so it will be a real challenge for the top 4 and difficult for the top 6. If we strengthen significantly in the January window anything becomes possible.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else does at this point we have built a points difference and we just need to keep doing what we're doing and taking each game at a time, we concentrate on our own game and we can take top 4. Can we keep this form up? Years of Ashley says no but this is a new era and anything can happen.

12 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

It's unlikely that Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool will be as bad in the second half of the season as the first so it will be a real challenge for the top 4 and difficult for the top 6. If we strengthen significantly in the January window anything becomes possible.

Liverpool are the biggest worry, I think they’ll finish 3rd so we just need to outscore Man U for 4th.

6 hours ago, BonesJones said:

Sounds like most of us are on the positivity train!

Tbh the way we play atm, I find it hard to see us going on much of bad run. Just feel we have something special that would turn it around quickly, especially as St.James' is a fortress once again!

Almiron loses his streak, Wilson injured and teams sitting back like Bournemouth and we could struggle to break them down and start dropping points. Of cost isak could come in, play like he did against Liverpool and prevent that.

27 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Almiron loses his streak, Wilson injured and teams sitting back like Bournemouth and we could struggle to break them down and start dropping points. Of cost isak could come in, play like he did against Liverpool and prevent that.

Literally anything could happen. Almiron could lose his streak and Willock go on one.

Wilson injured, Isak returns and smashes it.

The only inevitable is teams bloody sitting back against us!

We've got a style/mentality that I just don't see getting beaten over multiple games imo.