The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

605 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

1 hour ago, Dr Venkman said:

That's ass backwards logic if ever I've seen it.

Is it? 6 of the 10 home games are teams in the top 8 so its a harder set of home games than the first half of the season, just facts really. 

27 minutes ago, Decky said:

Is it? 6 of the 10 home games are teams in the top 8 so its a harder set of home games than the first half of the season, just facts really. 

Ok. Home games are inherently more likely to bring positive results, though, so the inference is clear.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Ok. Home games are inherently more likely to bring positive results, though, so the inference is clear.

They are more likely but by the same logic away games are more likely to bring negative results and for the rest of the season, for the most part, we've the easier teams on paper away from home and the tougher teams at home so the second half of the season could be seen as harder than the first half in that regard. For whats its worth I think we'll beat Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs at home but they'll definitely give us more of a game than Forest and the like. 

I get the inference, but I'm not sure I agree with it. We're better at home than away and we've struggled the most in games where a team shows up for a draw. That won't happen with the better teams at SJP and it's at least less likely to happen playing the worse teams at their place. Our most important games in the second half of the season (Liverpool, Spurs, Man United) are all at home. Couldn't script the remainder of the season much better IMO.

I think the second half of the season is more favourable, especially if we make some decent signings. But I'm just saying that looking at the graphic on the previous page there is also an argument to be made that our toughest tests are yet to come. 

11 minutes ago, Decky said:

They are more likely but by the same logic away games are more likely to bring negative results and for the rest of the season, for the most part, we've the easier teams on paper away from home and the tougher teams at home so the second half of the season could be seen as harder than the first half in that regard. For whats its worth I think we'll beat Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs at home but they'll definitely give us more of a game than Forest and the like. 

I'm disagreeing agreeably.

The reaction from Liverpool and Arsenal supporters after those respective games just had me wondering who would have the biggest meltdown if they were to finish in 5th behind us - Liverpool or Man Utd?

I think it's Liverpool, spurred on by their manager, and it would be fucking hilarious. 

If we've played the hardest games away and had positive results, the easier games at home and had positive results, then switching those things around is a good thing on paper and all else being equal. Football is chaos though so we'll see.

Edited by Kid Icarus

17 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

The reaction from Liverpool and Arsenal supporters after those respective games just had me wondering who would have the biggest meltdown if they were to finish in 5th behind us - Liverpool or Man Utd?

I think it's Liverpool, spurred on by their manager, and it would be fucking hilarious. 

I'd say Liverpool. Man Utd fans wouldn't be happy either but I think there's more of an opinion that Ten Hag is building something and its not necessarily about this season, more of a long term thing. Liverpool fans though seem to think they're God's gift to football and they're better than everyone. They'd be horrified at not having Champions League football next year. Klopp is already laying down the excuses for it with his bollocks about not being able to compete with oil rich clubs. 

Edited by Decky

2 minutes ago, Decky said:

I'd say Liverpool. Man Utd fans wouldn't be happy either but I think there's more of an opinion that Ten Hag is building something and its not necessarily about this season, more of a long term thing. Liverpool fans though seem to think they're God's gift to football and they're better than everyone. They'd be horrified at not having Champions League football next year. Klopp is already laying down the excuses for it with his bollocks about not being able to compete with oil rich clubs. 

On the whole I think you are right but I’m aware of some Man Utd fans who cling on to the fact that they have never finished below NUFC in the PL, and that is going to be seen as another nail in the coffin for them

39 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Unless we have a good transfer window, don't think we'll finish above either - but pool every time if it were to happen! Klopp has been behaving like a total prick for a long while now, and the fans are like a fucking cult. Not forgetting that many on RAWK were in favour of the Super League breakaway - it's where they belong apparently. The average domestic club is beneath them :rolleyes:

Edited by Turnbull2000

4 hours ago, Elliottman said:

Spurs lost 11 and finished 4th last season, Chelsea 6 and finished 3rd. 

Season before 3rd and 4th both lost 9 and 2nd 6. 

Are we really going to lose a 3rd of our remaining games? Get a couple of quality additions + Isak and we have a massive shout of top 4. 

Points total means more.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Points total means more.

Well … yes of course, if you lost 1 and drew 37 it wouldn’t be a great. 

Was pointing out though that the one loss so far puts us in a great position for the second half of the season if we can make a couple of quality additions to turn draws to wins. 

Big month and a bit coming up for this. Hope we can get an addition or two in in the window with cup matches coming up, hope Sheff Wed don't take us to a replay. Especially if we get past Leicester and have a two legged midweek semi final in the League Cup. 

Fixtures for the clubs around us up to the end of February, not including Arsenal or Man City as they're shoe-ins. 

Newcastle

Fulham (h)

Palace (a)

West Ham (h)

Bournemouth (a)

Liverpool (h)
Brighton (h)

Man Utd

Man City (h)

Arsenal (a)

Palace (h)

Leeds (a)

Leicester (h)

Brentford (h)

Liverpool

Brighton (a)

Chelsea (h)

Wolves (a)

Everton (h)

Newcastle (a)

Palace (a)

Spurs

Arsenal (h)

Man City (a)

Fulham (a)

Man City (h)

Leicester (a)

West Ham (h)

Chelsea (h)

Chelsea

Man City (h)

Fulham (a)

Palace (h)

Liverpool (a)

Fulham (h)

West Ham (a)

Southampton (h)

Spurs (a)

Need to take advantage of our next 4 games as many of those around us are playing the top 2 in that time and later on in February they all play each other. Absolutely massive that we have those clubs at SJP in the run in sans Chelsea.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Tonight sums up why Spurs are a pain in the arse. They're average but can win games out of nothing like this just because of a few individuals.

They have some tough fixtures coming up, so hopefully we've built a decent sized gap in 6 games time 

Spurs and Man U both have tough games coming up. Potential to get a bit of a lead again, if we keep up our end of the bargain. 

Man U have City and then Arsenal. 

Edit: Just look further up the page at what @HaydnNUFChas posted :lol: 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Aye I hadn't realised that Spurs' biggest coup of the season was a draw with Chelsea. The best teams they've played are  us, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Man United, and they've lost all of them.

They have Arsenal and Man City twice coming up. In April they play us, Man United, Liverpool in a row as well.