Coffee Nonces

OpenC

Go on then, it's worth a shot (pun absolutely intended).

How are you currently getting your caffeine into you? Gear and bean recommendations and reviews all welcome. Discussion of instant coffee absolutely permitted.

We use Illy ground (for her, with milk) and Pumphrey's Mocha beans (for me, black). Had a Gaggia Gran Deluxe for years now, and I use a cheap Hario hand burr grinder which only cost about £20 but is still capable of grinding finer then my machine is able to push water through (this grinder was a good investment - takes about a minute to do an espresso's worth).

We've been through a lot of coffee before settling on what we drink now - the Illy is the Stella of coffee - never disappointing or surprising, you always know exactly what you're getting. The mocha beans I use are fairly light and my absolute favourite black coffee taste, but she finds them too weak to go with milk. I routinely have two or three in a row though, and it works well for that.

Edited by OpenC

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Go on then, it's worth a shot (pun absolutely intended).

How are you currently getting your caffeine into you? Gear and bean recommendations and reviews all welcome. Discussion of instant coffee absolutely permitted.

We use Illy ground (for her, with milk) and Pumphrey's Mocha beans (for me, black). Had a Gaggia Gran Deluxe for years now, and I use a cheap Hario hand burr grinder which only cost about £20 but is still capable of grinding finer then my machine is able to push water through (this grinder was a good investment - takes about a minute to do an espresso's worth).

We've been through a lot of coffee before settling on what we drink now - the Illy is the Stella of coffee - never disappointing or surprising, you always know exactly what you're getting. The mocha beans I use are fairly light and my absolute favourite black coffee taste, but she finds them too weak to go with milk. I routinely have two or three in a row though, and it works well for that.

I too have a Gaggia Gran Deluxe, I buy Ethiopian beans, grind them myself  - with a Braun electric grinder - and have a double Espresso at 6.00am, and then no more coffee until the next day at the same time.

When I was staying in Rome in 2017, the guy who owned the Air B'N'B we were in, had one of those ESE coffee bag machines in the apartment, and claimed he drank 16 espressos a day, hence his youthful energy in his late 60s, when I got back to the UK, I bought the Gaggia and started ordering ESE pods/bags from online coffee merchants.

Even though it was quicker/cleaner and prbably cheaper, I switched back to grinding my own beans during lockdown for the fresher flavour.

I've learned from past behaviour that more than two cups a day leads to three, then four and then problems sleeping, so I limit myself to one enjoyable cup a day.

Edited by kingkerouac

16 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Breville Barista Pro. Although I just use decaff now because I've started to not metabolise caffeine well and shitting myself. 

Have you found a decent decaf? I reckon I would drink way less alcohol if I could find a decaf worth drinking.

16 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

I've learned from past behaviour that more than two cups a day leads to three, then four and then problems sleeping, so I limit myself to one enjoyable cup a day.

I definitely agree with the trouble sleeping thing; I don't drink coffee after I finish work for that reason (which is why a good decaf would be a great discovery) but I drink too much of it through the day. Not quite your man's 16 espressos but certainly 7 or 8

Edited by OpenC

Time to be a wanker.

Clever dripper on a workday morning, and on my days off I'll brew bigger using my Hario V60 Decanter for 500ml of coffee that I can sit with and really enjoy.  

My grinder is a Baratza Virtuoso plus and I prefer single origin beans, which seem impossible to find here in Toronto, but I always go light roast, to medium at a push. And I drink it black. I have a goose neck kettle for my pouring.

I weigh everything. beans, water etc.

Origin Coffee from Cornwall were my favourite roaster in the UK. Man, I miss their beans.

5 hours ago, OpenC said:

I use an Aeropress at work. Never sure if I'm doing it right but I get a decent cup out of it. Are you supposed to use a coarser grind than espresso? I just use the Illy with it and it seems to work ok 

I tend to grind slightly more coarse than espresso for my aeropress (on my grinder, espresso is an 8, aeropress is a 12, French press is like a 28).

Edited by Tomato Deuce

Used to swear by my Nespresso machine until coffee snob mates started treating me like a child molester. I buy super expensive beans and grind them myself and use a pour-over now; takes ages but hey, you can’t enjoy anything as an adult without having to turn it into an all-consuming hobby that requires more effort just to get the best.

Tbf, the taste is light years ahead of what I enjoyed before. No way I can go back to that blissful ignorance now :lol:.

Edited by McCormick

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Used to swear by my Nespresso machine until coffee snob mates started treating me like a child molester. I buy super expensive beans and grind them myself and use a pour-over now; takes ages but hey, you can’t enjoy anything as an adult without having to turn it into an all-consuming hobby that requires more effort just to get the best.

Tbf, the taste is light years ahead of what I enjoyed before. No way I can go back to that blissful ignorance now :lol:.

:lol: 

Edited by Tomato Deuce