Jump to content

Coffee Nonces


OpenC
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Anon said:

Weekly subscription to beans from hasbean, Baratza Encore grinder then French press, v60 or aeropress depending on my mood. Just got a clever dripper for xmas so I'll be giving that a go soon.

 

Everyone should have a clever dripper. I think most people start their journey with an Aero Press, I know I did. But the clever dripper should take this spot IMO. Same price point, and almost impossible to make taste bad. Also, I don't think I'll ever outgrow it as a piece of equipment, like I did with my Aeropress (though I still use the aeropress if I go camping or some shite).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these Clever Drippers and v60 just a modern version of that grim jug you used to sit on a hotplate and let filtered coffee drip through to?

 

I thought people stopped using those because the coffee sitting in the water for minutes made it bitter, just like a French Press, while Aeropress gave you an espresso-lite experience because it was made more quickly with pressure rather than infusion.  Is bitter back again?

 

 

Edited by OpenC

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really sure what you mean but it doesn't make it bitter. Maybe we're using better quality beans now, and not pre ground coffee that has been in a warehouse for a year? like they did back in the day. I'm not sure. 

 

Clever drippers are cool because its both immersion and drip. like the perfect marriage between a french press and v60.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always just been a cafetiere guy in the house but got a Breville three in one thing for Xmas from my parents. Does espresso, filter and the pods and has a milk frother thing. I spend a ridiculous amount on sit in and takeaway coffee so this should help wean me off that a bit and save money.

 

 

Edited by ponsaelius

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a slippery slope :lol: like everything else you can end up spending a fortune although it's not going to work out at £4 a cup as we're paying now.

 

Is this James Hoffman the coffee nonce's coffee nonce like? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Beren said:

Reading this thread makes me feel like I've never drank a cup of coffee [emoji38]


:lol: it’s a bit daunting. I was lucky that my buddy who brought me into the world of coffee, despite being particular about his coffee, is as far from a dickhead as can be.


I’ve been to cuppings where I’m just rolling my eyes the whole time listening to true snobs talk about it.

 

 

Edited by Tomato Deuce

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a Nespresso machine for years now - bollocks to the haters - firstly an original and now a Vertuo machine. It's quick, so ideal in between Teams meetings and easy to clean etc. I think the coffee is pretty decent to be honest. I've long wanted to ditch it and get a bean to cup type machine (Sage??) but not sure I can justify the cost as I'm trying to cut down on coffee.

 

Had some cold turkey (see what I did there?) during Christmas staying with relatives in the middle of no-where who don't drink coffee. After about three days I thought I was going to die, headaches, nausea, hallucinations etc.

 

Something has to give.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many layers to it :lol: weighing and measuring is way beyond the realms of necessity for me, I just pour what looks like the right amount of beans into the grinder, mash them all up, make them into coffee for about ten seconds then fill up the cup with boiling water - but if people are convinced they get a better drink as a result of better accuracy in all things, then fair enough I reckon :)

 

 

Edited by OpenC

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Novocastrian said:

I've had a Nespresso machine for years now - bollocks to the haters - firstly an original and now a Vertuo machine. It's quick, so ideal in between Teams meetings and easy to clean etc. I think the coffee is pretty decent to be honest. I've long wanted to ditch it and get a bean to cup type machine (Sage??) but not sure I can justify the cost as I'm trying to cut down on coffee.

 

Had some cold turkey (see what I did there?) during Christmas staying with relatives in the middle of no-where who don't drink coffee. After about three days I thought I was going to die, headaches, nausea, hallucinations etc.

 

Something has to give.

 

Only real issue with Nespresso (imo) is that they have you by the balls in terms of price and choice. The coffee is always decent in my experience but you pay an absolute fucking fortune for it; the machines are a great loss leader.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OpenC said:

 

Only real issue with Nespresso (imo) is that they have you by the balls in terms of price and choice. The coffee is always decent in my experience but you pay an absolute fucking fortune for it; the machines are a great loss leader.

It is expensive, I can drop £50/£60 a month working from home although when I was in the office regularly I could easily spend £10 a day on coffee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:


:lol: it’s a bit daunting. I was lucky that my buddy who brought me into the world of coffee, despite being particular about his coffee, is as far from a dickhead as can be.


I’ve been to cuppings where I’m just rolling my eyes the whole time listening to true snobs talk about it.

 

 

 

 

Yeah, it is a bit intimidating tbh. The only context in which I've previously heard cupping was medieval "medicinal" bloodletting or something like that [emoji38]

 

This post is a bit boring, apologies in advance:

 

Me and my missus really enjoyed this coffee made by a chap at a hotel called Srjan in Dubrovnik about 9 years ago. If I could replicate that without a massive convoluted process or incredible expensive subscription, that'd be sound.

 

I don't understand the majority of terminology in this thread, but I quite like a milkier, frothier coffee (which I appreciate is likely blasphemous to some) rather than a bitter or earthier tasting beverage.

 

I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine, and I love Indian tea, so I'm probably looking to develop a vice of one coffee a morning.

 

Are there beginner cuppings so I can learn what I do/don't like?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Toyed with getting a grinder and something like a Gaggia Classic a while back but never took the plunge, sticking with my heathen Nespresso and Velvetiser for frothing combo for now [emoji38] 

 

Partly comes down to how you take your coffee I guess, I'm not a fan of americanos or lattes but love a frothy cappuccino-style coffee so this works for me, I like the ease of the Nespresso and being able to have a bunch of different types in the cupboard to try, thankfully I only have 1 or 2 cups a day so it doesn't rack up too much either.

 

 

 

Edited by TheHoob

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beren said:

 

I don't understand the majority of terminology in this thread, but I quite like a milkier, frothier coffee (which I appreciate is likely blasphemous to some) rather than a bitter or earthier tasting beverage.

 

 

 

I know this comes across as a bit too simple for this thread, but have you tried using one of those hand milk frothers you get on amazon? Costs around 10 dollars here in the US.

 

I like frothy milky coffee as I grew up on South Indian coffee which is very milky. So whenever I drink coffee, I make regular coffee, take milk, heat and froth it and add it to the coffee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

 

I know this comes across as a bit too simple for this thread, but have you tried using one of those hand milk frothers you get on amazon? Costs around 10 dollars here in the US.

 

I like frothy milky coffee as I grew up on South Indian coffee which is very milky. So whenever I drink coffee, I make regular coffee, take milk, heat and froth it and add it to the coffee. 

 

Yeah that's what we have at the moment. A handheld electric frother.

 

To compound my heresy, we don't drink real milk - we use almond milk and oatly. [emoji38]

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Beren said:

 

Yeah that's what we have at the moment. A handheld electric frother.

 

To compound my heresy, we don't drink real milk - we use almond milk and oatly. [emoji38]


do you milk your own almonds? I’ve been tempted…

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...