Coffee Nonces

OpenC

I used to do a whole thing with a French press, then I got a Keurig machine and never looked back.

I'm the only coffee drinker in my house and I'm in it for the drugs not the noncery, so the convenience of just pushing a button and going to take a shit while it brews simply cannot be beat.

I reckon if you've gone as far as buying any coffee brewing equipment, you're selling yourself short by not weighing beans and water, like.

Imagine eyeballing a cake recipe. 

Every morning I get to drink coffee without wondering if it's gonna be good or shite. I love the consistency.

17 hours ago, OpenC said:

It's a slippery slope :lol: like everything else you can end up spending a fortune although it's not going to work out at £4 a cup as we're paying now.

Is this James Hoffman the coffee nonce's coffee nonce like? 

How often do you need to descale your Gaggia, OC?

And what do you use?

I have paid £14 for the small bottle of official Gaggia descaler twice now, but not sure if I should just be using a normal limescale descaler.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You might be able to just run through some water and white vinegar. 

Yeah, I suppose, though the usual process involves at least three complete tank fills, and throughputs...I'd have do that a bit more to swill out the vinegar.

I'm currently rocking an aeropress, source my beans from Tynemouth Coffee and grind 'em with a krups GVX231.

I've previously tried a v60, which was ok but was swept aside by the above.

Afrer reading this thread, I'm now looking into the Clever Dripper :)

I used to use alternative milk until I looked at the ingredients.

I know some people struggle with dairy but a blend of rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, water and mashed up rice can’t be much better. 

I think there’s a brand called Plenish or something which only contains almonds and water, but the other ones are very worrying :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I've never bought it or made it fresh but when I was on long camping multiday mountain trips in Scotland, I always went with those little Starbucks/Costa tins of espresso or iced latte for mornings. Like you say, tasted full of sugar and fat but never disappointing, every summer I think I should try a proper one but I never do 

Edited by OpenC

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I used to use alternative milk until I looked at the ingredients.

I know some people struggle with dairy but a blend of rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, water and mashed up rice can’t be much better. 

I think there’s a brand called Plenish or something which only contains almonds and water, but the other ones are very worrying :lol:

What do you mean by “can’t be much better”?

Can’t be much better than drinking the lactation of another mammal that has been imprisoned, raped and ultimately murdered due to your coffee preferences?

… Though my original question was cos Instagram is desperate to get me to make Almond milk, and thus I would managed to make a milk devoid of all those bad things. It is tempting, but I’m quite lazy and don’t want to clean the thing. 

Anyway in the spirit of the noncery, our fam goes with the following:

whatever costco brand of beans we have, as I can’t afford anything fancier with the quantity of beans we use

baratza encore on 20. Zero measurement. 

brewed with a motif drip coffee machine that is a rebranded European thing but is SCA certified. 

someday I’ll get more committed to it, but two young kids means speed of caffeine intake is the most important thing.