Coffee Nonces

OpenC

19 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Had never considered that different machines would make a different job of the Nespresso pods like, I assumed they'd all do the exact same thing.

I think it has a slightly higher bar pressure which theoretically could get more taste from each pod? You’d have to ask the coffee snobs about that.

But for me, being able to do the coffee and milk at the same time makes it far more enjoyable to actually make a cappuccino instead of standing around like a twat waiting for one thing to finish before you can do the rest. It’s also good to go seconds after switching on the machine, every other Nespresso machine I’ve had seemed like a good minute before it was ready.

It also has a hot water function so you can warm your cup beforehand.

Its the little things.

We bought one of those Sage Barista Express machines a few months back. I've barely used it cos my wife is obsessed with practising til she can do perfect latte art :lol:

It's all super technical and complicated using the fucking thing mind, and the "YOU MUST USE VERY FRESH BEANS" thing is a pain. Does make a nice cup of coffee though. I think. 

Edited by Interpolic

2 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

What do you mean by “can’t be much better”?

Can’t be much better than drinking the lactation of another mammal that has been imprisoned, raped and ultimately murdered due to your coffee preferences?

… Though my original question was cos Instagram is desperate to get me to make Almond milk, and thus I would managed to make a milk devoid of all those bad things. It is tempting, but I’m quite lazy and don’t want to clean the thing. 

Oh yeah, I was talking about health grounds. Of course if you are a vegan or object to dairy for the reasons you state, then you need the alternative milks. 

18 hours ago, Django said:

I'm currently rocking an aeropress, source my beans from Tynemouth Coffee and grind 'em with a krups GVX231.

I've previously tried a v60, which was ok but was swept aside by the above.

Afrer reading this thread, I'm now looking into the Clever Dripper :)

My Krups is the simple F203438, £29. Does the business, easy to clean etc.

YouTube Coffee Nonce is actually quite good tbf to him. The machine I've got is very basic in terms of espresso which tbh I'm happy with because I can't be bothered with more factors under my control. I've managed to get some reasonable espresso out using the pre-ground coffee I've got and I've sussed doing the milk. 

Next thing I've now accepted I need to buy is a grinder and start grinding the beans myself. Does anybody have any recommendations for something cheap that will do the job? Or am I better off with an investment in this department?

Ive got a Krups GVX231 but must have been a lot cheaper when I got it as me brother got me it for Christmas a few years back. Ive actually not drank much coffee for the past year or so but flitter between cafetiere, macchinetta, and an in cup filter thing. Depends how arsed I can be. The little in cup filter is mint tbf. Got a filter machine as well but that's not been used for years. Best thing about that is setting the timer to have coffee ready when I get up. Have been tempted to get a little espresso machine which I might in the sales. Doubt Im ever going to be one to weigh stuff though.

Anybody else still using moka pots (just noticed SDBSs macchinetta which I think is the same)? They're our staple travelling coffee choice and I have one at home every once in a while, they make a hellishly strong brew :)

Edited by OpenC

5 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

YouTube Coffee Nonce is actually quite good tbf to him. The machine I've got is very basic in terms of espresso which tbh I'm happy with because I can't be bothered with more factors under my control. I've managed to get some reasonable espresso out using the pre-ground coffee I've got and I've sussed doing the milk. 

Next thing I've now accepted I need to buy is a grinder and start grinding the beans myself. Does anybody have any recommendations for something cheap that will do the job? Or am I better off with an investment in this department?

Get a Baratza encore, go second hand if you think it's too expensive new. It's their entry level grinder. The reason I love Baratza as a company is they sell all the individual parts of the grinder and include instructions on how to fix the machine online if it breaks.

I can't think of many other companies that want you to have their product for life. 

Can confirm that some paddle wheel thing died in my encore and they send me a new one gratis. 

Though I do think it takes forever to grind anything. Apparently the encore can be upgraded with the burr from the virtuoso. Maybe that would help. 

11 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Can confirm that some paddle wheel thing died in my encore and they send me a new one gratis. 

Though I do think it takes forever to grind anything. Apparently the encore can be upgraded with the burr from the virtuoso. Maybe that would help. 

I have the virtuoso plus. I don’t find it either slow or fast, but it’s fucking rapid compared to my Hario hand grinder 🤣

I’ve wanted to buy a single dose hopper for my grinder as the only annoying thing is the popcorning. Trying to get that last bean to settle down and accept its fate. I’ve seen a 3d printed one that doubles as a bellow to push through any grounds left in the Shute. 

Anyone else left coffee behind and gone back on the tea full time? Controversial I know but I find a good cup of tea brewed right infinitely more satisfying than a cup coffee. Drinking a lot of it as I do it also comes without the anxiety pangs of coffee so it's win win imo.

3 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

I thought mine was taking ages and it turns out the burr holder was cracked and needed replacing. https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/comments/rh15p9/baratza_encore_owners_go_check_your_burr_holder/

I also did the upgraded burr, was worth it.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

I thought mine was taking ages and it turns out the burr holder was cracked and needed replacing. https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/comments/rh15p9/baratza_encore_owners_go_check_your_burr_holder/

I also did the upgraded burr, was worth it.

As a part of my previous fix, where I had to replace the worn away paddle wheel, I recall having to unseat the burr holder thing, so hopefully I would've noticed if it was cracked. But maybe not...

I reckon this is fate's way of telling me to upgrade the cone burr, and replace the ring burr/holder all at the same time.

Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Anyone else left coffee behind and gone back on the tea full time? Controversial I know but I find a good cup of tea brewed right infinitely more satisfying than a cup coffee. Drinking a lot of it as I do it also comes without the anxiety pangs of coffee so it's win win imo.

I cant really handle coffee.  Been drinking Yerba Mate tea for years.  Basically like tea version of coffee.

13 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

As long as you opt for a burr grinder over blade, I don’t think you can go wrong really. Even the less expensive models will get you to a nice cup of coffee, albeit may not have the staying power as the pricier models. I’ll second what OpenC says about a hand grinder… good starting off point without having to seriously invest.