Coffee Nonces

OpenC

On 06/01/2023 at 15:39, Big River said:

does anybody else use the inverted method with their aeropress? gives a much better result, imo.

Far too much fannying about involved with the inverted method for my liking. Let it steep, give it a swirl, and plunge all the way through the hiss. In Sir Hoffnonce we trust. 

Just now, NEEJ said:

Far too much fannying about involved with the inverted method for my liking. Let it steep, give it a swirl, and plunge all the way through the hiss. In Sir Hoffnonce we trust. 

wey not really like, it’s just the regular method but upside down!

When I used my aeropress I always did the inverted method. 

Think I knocked it over like 6 times. Coffee slurry all over. Always took me 20 to clean the shit up too. Not what you want on a morning before work [emoji38]

32 minutes ago, Big River said:

wey not really like, it’s just the regular method but upside down!

23 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

When I used my aeropress I always did the inverted method. 

Think I knocked it over like 6 times. Coffee slurry all over. Always took me 20 to clean the shit up too. Not what you want on a morning before work [emoji38]

:lol:

I used to do the Aeropress inverted method. But there's a better, less risky way to achieve the same effect, i.e. some extra brewing.

Just do everything in the usual non-inverted way, but put the plunger in a little bit - 'just the tip' (yeah okay) - just enough to seal things.  And the coffee will stay in the main cylinder.  Then you can wait a good two minutes and plunge as usual.  Easy.

24 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

I used to do the Aeropress inverted method. But there's a better, less risky way to achieve the same effect, i.e. some extra brewing.

Just do everything in the usual non-inverted way, but put the plunger in a little bit - 'just the tip' (yeah okay) - just enough to seal things.  And the coffee will stay in the main cylinder.  Then you can wait a good two minutes and plunge as usual.  Easy.

Does putting just the tip in create a vacuum to prevent the coffee dripping through the filter?

56 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Does putting just the tip in create a vacuum to prevent the coffee dripping through the filter?

I think it's more that it prevents atmospheric pressure, plus gravity, from pushing the coffee down; instead atmos pressure keeps it up. It works anyway!

Edited by elbee909

I find that if I push the tip in slightly whilst making sure it fits nice and tight, then I can keep it up for longer and the liquid won’t leave the chamber too quickly.

Then when the time is right I do a fast, hard plunge and the hot liquid will leave the chamber at the ideal time and speed. I listen out for the little hiss at the end so I can be sure I’ve done it right. 

It was my wife who first showed me this technique, she learnt it from a work colleague. 

Edited by bobbydazzla

For those of you that have a drip coffee machine (and use it), any recs?

The one I have is some rebranded European machine that is SCA certified in Europe, but the rebrand wasn't. It cost me a mere $50 as a refurb, but the original carafe broke so I'm now using a melitta carafe/pour over basket... which has resulted in some basket overflow experiences. This isn't popular with the wife.

So anyway, might finally be time to spend money on a machine. I had the bonavita before this, and I'm ready for something new, but I'm wildly conflicted between "just get some $50 generic thing" and "get the BEST, spend $360 and finally my life will be perfect and I will be so happy/content/fulfilled".

Hopefully you don't all have English brand coffee makers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2023 at 09:37, SEMTEX said:

For those of you that have a drip coffee machine (and use it), any recs?

The one I have is some rebranded European machine that is SCA certified in Europe, but the rebrand wasn't. It cost me a mere $50 as a refurb, but the original carafe broke so I'm now using a melitta carafe/pour over basket... which has resulted in some basket overflow experiences. This isn't popular with the wife.

So anyway, might finally be time to spend money on a machine. I had the bonavita before this, and I'm ready for something new, but I'm wildly conflicted between "just get some $50 generic thing" and "get the BEST, spend $360 and finally my life will be perfect and I will be so happy/content/fulfilled".

Hopefully you don't all have English brand coffee makers.

We err on the “get some generic thing” side. Just a basic thing by Hamilton Beach - as long as you can program it and the jug is big enough then whatever. It has to be able to be programmed, provide enough coffee for me when I leave for work, keep it warm enough to last until the wife gets up and not break easily.

I’d love an espresso machine, and I indulge in coffee noncery from time to time, but pragmatism wins out.

In related news, I have a heart test later today and am not allowed to drink caffeine (or smoke) for 24 hrs beforehand. I worked all weekend but decided to just finish my coffee Saturday lunchtime and call it there. Oof. Sunday afternoon felt like I was walking through treacle.

4 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

We err on the “get some generic thing” side. Just a basic thing by Hamilton Beach - as long as you can program it and the jug is big enough then whatever. It has to be able to be programmed, provide enough coffee for me when I leave for work, keep it warm enough to last until the wife gets up and not break easily

other than not break easily, our requirements do not align very much :D

I want one button that starts the brewing process and that’s about it. I also went thermal carafe rather than hot plate. 

I replaced the coffee machine I had with an Oxo 8 cup coffee maker that cost way too much. But it works and doesn’t spill coffee everywhere so that’s a win. 

1 minute ago, SEMTEX said:

other than not break easily, our requirements do not align very much :D

I want one button that starts the brewing process and that’s about it. I also went thermal carafe rather than hot plate. 

I replaced the coffee machine I had with an Oxo 8 cup coffee maker that cost way too much. But it works and doesn’t spill coffee everywhere so that’s a win. 

Yeah, that’s def an improvement :lol:. When we move to England I’m thinking about trying to wean my coffee. The results of this afternoon’s test might make that decision for me.