Edson Arantes do Nascimento - 1940-2022

Flip

Descanse em Paz

As the resident Brazilian I felt compelled to create this thread. Discussions of whether he was the greatest ever will exist forever. However, his impact on the game was and is eternal and he’ll never be forgotten.

5 minutes ago, Flip said:

Descanse em Paz

As the resident Brazilian I felt compelled to create this thread. Discussions of whether he was the greatest ever will exist forever. However, his impact on the game was and is eternal and he’ll never be forgotten.

I don't think anyone coommes close in revolutionzing the game as he did, and this in a time where players could get away with taking his legs out (which was literally the only way to stop him). This is why he will alwayuus be the greatest for me.

4 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

When I was a kid, he was it. The pinnacle. There was no one even close (at least in kid brain). Absolute legend.

Amazing that he became the legend he was, never having played in Europe. Can't see that happening today, unfortunately.

He played on arguably the best club team in the world.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

That Carlos Alberto goal strarting with Rivelino's move in the midfield and climaxing with Pele's casual layoff is untouchable for me. Greatest goal in World Cup history.

I saw something the other day trying to show that as old football being shite. Bollocks.

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

That Carlos Alberto goal strarting with Rivelino's move in the midfield and climaxing with Pele's casual layoff is untouchable for me. Greatest goal in World Cup history.

I've seen an art installation which was that goal played on a loop.

If this had gone in, it would have been a contender for the greatest goal of all time. Just the sheer guts to try this dummy in a world cup quarter-final. Yes, there have been other goals with more elaborate skills but sometimes, the simple ones are the best. 

Pele was not just an icon of football. You can travel to remote rural areas in India, people who have not potentially watched a single game of football. Show them a photo of Pele and they would recognize him. He was an icon of sports.