Arsenal vs. Newcastle United 3/1/23 @ 7:45pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

34 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Tbf we have only lost once in our last 22 games. Arsenal favourites but we are a very tough side to beat. Intriguing game.

Sure, as I say, I have faith, I'm not expecting to get humped. I just think we are a bit psychologically tired and have had the same team playing week in week out for a while, so won't have quite as much snap as we might have had two weeks either side of this game.

As Bruno said post match yesterday, which I agreed with, he thought the team played with a bit too much anxiety to get the result against Leeds. A little bit similar to Everton away last season. So I hope we don't carry that instability over into this match.

No pressure and a bit of a free hit tbh. No-one expects a thing from us and a point would be an amazing result, it'll be a bit of a benchmark game to let us know where we're at in the big picture

Arsenal are a better side, at home and in great form - so expectations have to be set accordingly.

However I don’t agree with the suggestion Newcastle should be passive and worry about Saka etc - if you try and contain a team like Arsenal the likelihood is they take an opportunity and win.

You have to do play your best team and try and cause the opposition problems. For me, that means starting ASM and having him stay high up the pitch. Give White a decision to make about going forward, give Arsenal a constant headache about leaving ASM one on one with a defender - as against Man City. That means Joelinton, Burn and Botman have to be on it when Arsenal attack down the right, but you have to trust players

1 minute ago, STM said:

Must have been a quiet press conference. All the journos having a day off or something?

I don't think they usually do press conferences on a bank holiday do they?

I just fancy us to give anyone a game these days tbh.

For so long we've been a team that you could count on half a dozen times a year just not showing up for an away game and losing by two or three goals in a game we were second best from the first whistle.

This year we've gone to Anfield, Old Trafford and Spurs' stadium this year and only for a last second goal at Liverpool we'd be unbeaten. Not like we've gone there and frustrated those teams with brilliant defensive performances and hit them on the counter either, all of those games we came out and pressed high and got men forward and tried to play football when we've had the ball.

Fully confident we'll go there tomorrow and give a good account of ourselves. We might lose because Arsenal are also a very well organised side and have better players than us but if they want to win tomorrow they're going to have to make sure they show up ready to play because we'll take their lunch money if not.

I think they are half the team without Gabriel jesus, he was instrumental from them going from an also ran to a contender...

Maxi is paramount for us to at least give them a headache on their right side of defence.

My team for tomorrow would be:

-----------------Pope-----------------

Trips----Schar-------Botm------Burn

---Willock-------Bruno-----Jow----

--Miggy-------Wilson---------Maxi--

Speaks so well. Actually answers the questions (!) in an articulate way. Old news I know but he really comes across as intelligent and humble and highly engrossed in his work. The difference from someone like Steve Bruce is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I'm wrong, looks like Lee Ryder has some quotes from the press conference

You weren’t wrong. It was recorded after the Leeds game and they are just reporting it now.

I think our system just about out does theirs. With the legs on the cover of who ever is paired with Bruno in the middle we can afford to have ASM (Whose tracking is lower than others) start to force Arsenal back and think about us on both side on the break. Having ASM, Wilson and Miggy start would make them have to leave 1 midfielder sitting in and the full backs 2nd guess going forward, thats key to winning the game

Wilson will be starting you’d think fully fit. Last time he did away from home was Spurs away as he was never at the races against Southampton. I know they’ve lost Jesus (and coped well) but you forget how much we’ve had to cope without Wilson also. Hope we go for it with ASM starting though there is an argument that the key to a result is surviving Arsenal’s fast starts to games.

It'll be interesting to see Wilson vs Gabriel again, unless it's Saliba. Last season Gabriel completely nullified Wilson at the Emirates - better than anyone I saw him come up against last season, but then Wilson ran him and the rest of their back 4 ragged at SJP.