Arsenal vs. Newcastle United 3/1/23 @ 7:45pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

They look totally transformed going forward, especially on the break and have real pace up front, but defensively I still feel they can be really vulnerable. I think this will be like a cagey boxing match for the first half, testing each other out, both wary of a knock out punch.

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Start ASM and you run the risk that Arsenal exploit the inevitable space between ASM and Burn and Saka can run riot. ASM is a better for me off the bench against this lot.

That’s where Joelinton would be tasked to cover that area more.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

That’s where Joelinton would be tasked to cover that area more.

Do that and they’ll have space inside. We can use Miggy for our counter attack focus, I think we can get in behind them down their left. Got to hope Wilson can start. It’s not a game I’d fancy Wood having an impact.

I’d have a midfield 3 of Joelinton, Willock and Bruno. I know both big and little Joe like the left but I’d want the work rate, pressing and countering of both of them with Miggy and Maximin when Arsenal are pushed forward. 

When we beat these last season Arteta went ballistic at the Arsenal lads, I feel that will still be with them, they're also a side without just one prolific scorer, with multiple players chipping in with 5 or six goals each, interesting, because we'll have multiple goal threats to be dealing with. I hope we have Joelinton in the middle for this one, his strength and break up play and linking up with Bruno is key. 

It's that awkward situation where if ASM is on form, then putting him up against Ben White I think  causes them a major headache and forces Saka to drop back and help double up. Which in turn relieves pressure on Dan Burn who would have a tough time against Saka. However the flip of that is potentially it does leave Burn exposed when they attack, unless Joelinton can cover that area sufficiently. 

I think it's worth baring in mind that Martinelli's pace will undoubtedly stop us being able to push Trippier high up the pitch like we normally do, also Tierney is pretty rapid too up against Almiron, therefore our dangerous right side may be kept quiet and we would need the outlet on the left. 

Really fascinating game and really looking forward to seeing how we fare against, so far, the best team in the league. Could be our first walloping or we could go there and really put the league on notice. 

Be surprised if we got hammered but it’s a tough ask to get anything here. No reason to think we won’t turn up as this hasn’t really happened under Howe, I think we’ll have to shit house our way to victory here though and really try to disrupt their rhythm. 

Leeds kinda figured us out last game, doubling up on Almiron and leaving huge space for our very lackluster attacking threat on the left side. And when ASM came on they did the opposite since Almiron got taken off.

Start them together pls.

Just now, Displayname said:

Leeds kinda figured us out last game, doubling up on Almiron and leaving huge space for our very lackluster attacking threat on the left side. And when ASM came on they did the opposite since Almiron got taken off.

Start them together pls.

Arsenal won't play to contain or press the way Leeds did.

Our left hand side has been really effective in recent games too, I wouldn't be changing it personally. Albeit, Willock hasn't looked as sharp after the break.

Feels like Arteta is just copying Pep. Zinchenko will tuck into midfield same as Walker for City, leaving more room on the wings on the break. Unless Arteta took special notice of how we played (ASM in particular) against City, there's a good possibility we can exploit them the same way. 

Really looking forward to this one. I can't remember the last time I've thought that before Arsenal away. The pressure's all on them and hopefully the memory of being beasted at SJP still haunts them. They're due a slip-up, let's make it Tuesday night, eh? 

We'll surely see how good we are after this one. 

It feels a bit like before the Liverpool away game - sort of not expecting much but ended up being delighted at how much fight we put up - leaving aside what happened at the end. 

If we really are CL qualifiers, we need to go toe to toe with this lot. It could well be a defeat, but we need as many positives out of it as possible. A point would be amazing. Anything more would be astonishing. I have a lot of belief in our defence. 

Here's to a hard-earned 1-1 draw. 😁

How? We drew one game after destroying Leicester in 2nd gear and are still unbeaten in 13 matches. We have hopefully Wilson ready to start and St Maximin is ready to go as well if called upon. 

The defeatist viewpoint on here is baffling. If we won 1-0 versus Leeds we’d still be playing the best team in the league in Arsenal right now so the story and narrative hasn’t changed. They will be the toughest test - that’s football. But our manager won’t be setting us up to lay down and lose and accept defeat like some seem to think on here.  Our boys have been grinding results and pressing teams into chaos, they’ve been going toe to toe with everyone they’ve faced. Time to have it. 

Edited by Kanji

56 minutes ago, 80 said:

It feels like this is coming at a bad time for us, unfortunately. All the same, I have faith.

Tbf we have only lost once in our last 22 games. Arsenal favourites but we are a very tough side to beat. Intriguing game.

If it goes our way, in certain positions man for man we’ll get stuck into them for sure and have success. It’ll trigger memories of last season when they effectively blew champions league football and they’ll start looking at one another in that sort of frustrated “you’re letting us down” type thing. A quiet dressing room at half time and then disharmony within the squad for the first time all season. A bad jolt.

If they beat us I think they have a great chance to go on but this game will be a turning point in one way or another.