Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

1 hour ago, King HTT III said:

The major winners of both cups over the last 20 years or so have predominantly won the league or been in the top4/6 and have played European football. I hate the notion that being out of any tournament is a good idea to preserve league status or to maintain league form/keep players fresh etc., any club worth its salt and any fan should want their team to go as far and try win everything they enter, no matter how unrealistic and I want my NUFC to be that club, which I think we will in time.  

Those succesful squads were far bigger and far better than ours. Nobody has ever won or competed to win the league and cup with what we have.

We've competed for both at the same time when we've been in that position (KK, SBR) currently we're not.

Edited by Wolfcastle

My main takeaways....

When Murphy got one-on-one with the defender and dithered until he got dispossessed 

Obviously the Wood miss. Don't understand how he's so calm on penalties but folded here. Telling that Windass' finish was tougher and under a lot more pressure but made it look easy.

Anderson was disappointing. Appreciate it's harder to shine without some of the talent he usually plays with but still...

Isak showed some good stuff - you could tell he was rusty but still very excited to see him back and you can tell he has intelligence and confidence.

Fuck, I went there twice in the 80s before the disaster, Hillsborough was an accident waiting to happen. The first time I went in 83 it was jam packed behind the goal, had to move to a corner. Of all the grounds, you'd think they'd learn. 

I was leery when the lineups came out.  I understand why but I think it was too hopeful.  Ritchie being the biggest surprise.  He's done.  I really thought Anderson would be develop outside and thought he should have been slotted in Ritchie's spot.  He looks crowded out as a CM and think he'll be better suited as a wide forward.  I have no problem with Manquillo and was glad to see Lewis get a run out.  However I would have to have seen him in a stronger side.  Was surprised to see Dubs as He hadn't played or trained with the team much.  And I did not expect much from Wood, sadly. The biggest disappointment was Murphy.  He wilted under any pressure there may have been.  In a game where we had to score first to lock it in we had quite a few missed opportunities up front.  All in all the kind of performance you'd expect from such a patch work team.

Anderson needs to go on loan.  Lewis and Murphy should be flogged.  Ritchie should be drawn and quartered.  Good set pieces and a big mouth don't cut it any more.  The rest of the back up players showed they were just back ups aqnd the first team players did little to distinguish themselves.

Gotta win  

59 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

I was leery when the lineups came out.  I understand why but I think it was too hopeful.  Ritchie being the biggest surprise.  He's done.  I really thought Anderson would be develop outside and thought he should have been slotted in Ritchie's spot.  He looks crowded out as a CM and think he'll be better suited as a wide forward.  I have no problem with Manquillo and was glad to see Lewis get a run out.  However I would have to have seen him in a stronger side.  Was surprised to see Dubs as He hadn't played or trained with the team much.  And I did not expect much from Wood, sadly. The biggest disappointment was Murphy.  He wilted under any pressure there may have been.  In a game where we had to score first to lock it in we had quite a few missed opportunities up front.  All in all the kind of performance you'd expect from such a patch work team.

Anderson needs to go on loan.  Lewis and Murphy should be flogged.  Ritchie should be drawn and quartered.  Good set pieces and a big mouth don't cut it any more.  The rest of the back up players showed they were just back ups aqnd the first team players did little to distinguish themselves.

Gotta win  

bit of a strange take, Ritchie was one of our better performers.

Very surprised to hear about the problems the fans faced on Saturday. The allocation was only 4,500 even though the stand has 7,000 seats and I went there a couple of times in the late 90s when they were still allowing 7,000 in there and it never felt unsafe. Dated yes, but not unsafe and we had zero issues.

The only thing I can think of is that back then the away end would fill up gradually from 90 mins before kick off as the atmosphere inside the stadium would build whereas now people seem to prefer to stay in tne concourses much later to sing/drink and the away end fills up rapidly in the 15 mins prior to kick off.

Well they can fuck off with that. Firstly, away fans should be able to enter the ground at any time they like without being at risk and secondly, was this early opening even advertised? They might as well have titled the their statement The Truth. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Guessing they are hinting at our fans turning up too late en masse. Probably some truth in it TBH but not really the answer to the problem.

“The fans fault”. Sure we’ve heard that somewhere before…

Tbh though the sad thing about this is that the only ‘change’ that will result from any investigation is reduced away allocations at Hillsborough. The root of the problem is the design of that stand, and no-one’s stumping up the cash to significantly change that.