Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

Why are sheff wed fans getting bent out of shape about a safety concern?  It’s not a slight against them or even their club. It’s about how their owners and their facilities team manage the known issue there. 
I’ve always had a soft spot for the Owls and their supporters but fuck me these posters are of precious mofo’s

Edited by RS

The response in that BBC article is pretty shocking, like. It starts off saying the EFL have full confidence in Wednesday's safety procedures, before stating;

... Bob Eastwood said blaming dangerous overcrowding was "premature". Speaking in front of MPs at a committee meeting about safety at football, Eastwood, the head of security operations at the English Football League (EFL), added: "The club have done a very quick debrief of their operation and have already instigated a number of measures in order to reduce some of the issues that caused some concerns for some fans, which didn't amount to overcrowding

At this moment in time I think it's a little premature to agree with media and social media reports that there was overcrowding."

I wasn't there and don't much care about Wednesday one way or the other (quite liked them with Waddle in fact so no axe to grind), but that response makes no sense.

1. We have no concerns.
2. Let's not be premature about having any concerns before we've had a full investigation. 

How can points 1 and 2 be squared?

3. Ahead of a full investigation, the club have done a very quick debrief.
4. There are already a number of new measures in place as a result of that

Why put in new measures as a result if there was nothing wrong to start with? Why conclude there are no issues  on the basis of a quick 'debrief' - is that not also premature?

In fact, does it not suggest that "some fans" had a legitimate point?

Also, "some of the issues", "some of the concerns"? That's infuriating.

So, they acknowledge they haven't even addressed all the points in their "quick debrief", despite already apparently making several changes that presumably weren't even needed.

And why say that this "didn't amount to overcrowding" definitively - before you've checked properly? Is that not totally premature? Whereas people's real experience that there was overcrowding in real time is dismissed as being exactly that? I know which response is more potentially dangerous.

Any Wednesday fans using that to reflexively defend their club need to give their heads a shake, because whether there was overcrowding or not, that explanation is nonsense.

6 minutes ago, RS said:

Why are sheff wed fans getting bent out of shape about a safety concern?  It’s not a slight against them or even their club. It’s about how their owners and their facilities team manage the known issue there. 
I’ve always had a soft spot for the Owls and their supporter but fuck me these posters are a couple of precious mofo’s

Probably because they've had over 30 years to fix the last one and are clearly incompetent at best.

For anyone who went on here did the stewards check the tickets to distinguish between lower and upper access and prevent anyone trying to access the wrong tier? Do the turnstiles force you to the correct tier or does everyone end up in the same communal area therefore allowing access to different tiers to be abused? 

On 13/01/2023 at 21:57, Wawaw said:

“It doesn't matter when fans turn up, clubs have a corporate responsibility to ensure the welfare of supporters.”

agree, and the club went above and beyond, look at previous my first post that outlined this.

“This issue hasn't occured at any other ground” 

I don’t believe that, it happened to us at the stain playing piggy’s. Nothing was made of it though.

anyway I’m off. good luck for rest of the season.

You don't need good luck when you've got 80% of the league behind you. 

8 hours ago, Wawaw said:

Obviously some of our fans have stated it isn't a load of rubbish whether you like that or not. Unless you were actually in the away end, then I don't think you're in a position to comment

Newcastle fans commenting on 1989 semi, does your logic on not in a position to comment on that apply?

I’m sure you were just excited about your unassailable logic here, that there was no snide implication meant, and that you are a lovely person, but do you think you could give the 1989 stuff a rest? Because with your clever little point you are coming very close to saying something deeply offensive, stupid and shit. Just stuck to praising Sunderland on the other thread to show how much you actually care about this issue.

Edited by Hovagod

49 minutes ago, LFEE said:

For anyone who went on here did the stewards check the tickets to distinguish between lower and upper access and prevent anyone trying to access the wrong tier? Do the turnstiles force you to the correct tier or does everyone end up in the same communal area therefore allowing access to different tiers to be abused? 

From what I experienced (personally), there are metal fixtures acting as gateway to the end itself. They divide the fans into 3 sections, upper left, lower and upper right as you entered the back of the stand.

You journey up the stairs at the back of the building to access the upper tier and enter a long, fairly narrow, but acceptable concourse where you can enter into the stand itself. However, the concourse is somewhat dated, bur no more than expected for a stadium of such age and less recent development.

As for the lower tier, a best mate and his cousin, as I understand it, took his cousins son (aged 7) into the lower tier. Where, to my knowledge, all fans pass through a tunnel into a similarly designed lower concourse. However, as the tunnel enters the concourse there is an exit into the stand directly opposite, so naturally all fans enter the seating area without funneling outwards prior to entering the inside of the stadium, and hence an element of congestion there.

There was then sheeting over seats that were actually to be utilised by fans so to prevent them entering the playing area, thus adding to the congestion, and fans other than my mate et al grew concerned for the bairn (and others) as a result of overcrowding in the central area.

For me, the stadium could arguably work with better crowd management and control, but let's face it, most clubs hire minimum-wage staff with (more than likely) zero understanding of the stadium or crowd control. You'd like to think this wouldn't be the case at this stadium in particular given the stigma that's attached due to those horrendous events. However, it is seemingly not.

For me, there's a 'victim' mentality from their fans because of the Hillsborough findings and because of Liverpools persistence to overcome a lazy and false narrative. There are obviously arguments for fans being wiser to the situation, but let's face it, herd mentality also tends to over rule and people become sheep without a shepherd or sheep dog. Those at the club and those governing the crowd should know this and do more to counter act it, especially given the 96...

• 1 month later...

More good work from NUST (I would say that), standing up for NUFC fans on important matters like this, but this sort of stuff is a prime example of the good work the trust does. Sheffield Wednesday didn't want to know, and working with the club the trust really pushed on this to get answers. 

Edited by Greg

On 11/01/2023 at 17:02, SteV said:

Tbh though the sad thing about this is that the only ‘change’ that will result from any investigation is reduced away allocations at Hillsborough. The root of the problem is the design of that stand, and no-one’s stumping up the cash to significantly change that.

Alas…

edit - I should add that from personal experience I wouldn’t say that Hillsborough is really any worse than Elland Rd or Turf Moor (maybe throw Selhurst Park in there). Honestly the concourses simply aren’t fit to hold as big as allocations that get given to away clubs. It’s sad really because we all want as big as allocations as possible.

Edited by SteV

26 minutes ago, SteV said:

Alas…

edit - I should add that from personal experience I wouldn’t say that Hillsborough is really any worse than Elland Rd or Turf Moor (maybe throw Selhurst Park in there). Honestly the concourses simply aren’t fit to hold as big as allocations that get given to away clubs. It’s sad really because we all want as big as allocations as possible.

You are spot on there - but this is why these old grounds with no potential for investment for ability to improve given how they were build need far better crowd management procedures in place. 

7 minutes ago, 54 said:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/318265-leppings-lane-capacity-reduced-further/

Given there where genuine concerns, the reaction to this from the Wednesday fans seems a bit shit.

From there:

“What have Newcastle gained by getting the allocation reduced for other fans? Doesn't affect us does it, the club will be affected as they'll lose revenue when we play at home to teams with bigger away followings.

Mental really. Can anyone explain why they've done this?”

Hmmm. Let’s think…Perhaps to minimise the risk of another loss of life?  

20 minutes ago, Greg said:

You are spot on there - but this is why these old grounds with no potential for investment for ability to improve given how they were build need far better crowd management procedures in place. 

What does ‘better crowd management’ consist of?

At the minute it appears to be ‘let less people in’.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

What does ‘better crowd management’ consist of?

At the minute it appears to be ‘let less people in’.

Fewer people is the easy response usually, though in some cases the situation will dictate it may be the only option.- better crowd management can consist of all sorts of techniques and management measures to ensure safety of the crowd, needs proper management. There's a whole host of theories and experts out there on this. 

I wonder how many of their fans complaining have actually been in the away end and seen how bad the layout, facilities and stewarding/management actually is. I have fond memories of the place (first away ground) but its a dangerous outdated venue.

2 hours ago, Greg said:

This is the key point for me like. Yes Hillsborough is outdated but having been there myself on multiple occasions it isn't fundamentally unsafe if the movement of people is managed better. I'm not an expert but seems that controlling the flow of fans into/through the long tunnel would solve a big issue without having to reduce capacity? 

Sounds like there’s more to this story than has been told. Sheff Wed actually voluntarily reduced the capacity until investigation complete. They haven’t been forced to. Sounds like Craig Hope’s story was misleading.