Newcastle United 1-0 Fulham (15/01/2023)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, Alberto2005 said:

To be fair how did Burn get away with that pull back on Pereira? :lol:

Because it was nowhere near enough to bring him down, it was a complete dive and he pretty much had a free shot at goal as well. How he never got booked for diving is beyond me.

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Fuck me, that was hard work.

The referee had no fucking control of that game though, he was bad for both teams, absolute disgrace the standard of refereeing now.

Agreed.  Even the penalty was odd - to me the initial claim re Burn’s tugging was more of a pen than the Trippier one a few seconds later. 

4 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Anyway. Bruno rolled his ankle and they said if Mitrovic scores that we've definitely lost. 

Mitrovic slipped and Isak said what were you all worried about? 

Nice Office reference that didn't pass me by

Just now, Stifler said:

Because it was nowhere near enough to bring him down, it was a complete dive and he pretty much had a free shot at goal as well. How he never got booked for diving is beyond me.

Yeah, Pereira threw himself down unrealistically.  Ref and VAR aren't going to flinch. 

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

To be fair how did Burn get away with that pull back on Pereira? :lol:

It wasn't looked at due to an offside before it happened is my only guess, since they went straight to the Tripps getting tramped on one. How he could give that in the first place is a fucking disgrace. English refs are the worst in the top 10 leagues.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I think Bruno being out might be mitigated by Maxi coming back in. Joelinton can do a job in the middle for me. He's a really good footballer these days.

Agreed, Maxi looked sharp. Hopefully Bruno isn't out for long and we can have, as an option at least, a front 6 of Bruno, Big Joe, Maxi, Miggy, Isak & Wilson. 

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think Bruno being out might be mitigated by Maxi coming back in. Joelinton can do a job in the middle for me. He's a really good footballer these days.

I can see what you mean, yes. It just makes us dangerous in a different way.

Longstaff in that deeper midfield role, just needs to keep things a bit simpler and move the ball quickly, and not try to be Bruno. He did a good job of that today once Bruno went off. Lovely ball into the box that the goal came from too.

Really good sign that the team didn't fall apart or look discouraged once Bruno went off.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, Holmesy said:

Not sure where people are getting ‘not a penalty’ from. Take away both of a player’s legs anywhere else on the pitch and it’s a stonewall free kick. 

The Fulham player went studs up onto Trippier and then fell over the secondary contact from Trippier.  That's the first foul, where the contact that ultimately led to the penalty was initiated. 

You can't foul a player initially, then claim a penalty cos after the foul you're taken out...

2 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

One thing, we really do need a good midfielder to replace Longstaff.

He seems do two things well. He is a nuisance for high press all game, and he has great ability to ghost in to the box. His lack of quality in advanced positions is hurting us.  We need him back to a sub that helps us see out a game thats in the bag, not playing 90 mins for us.

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Not sure where people are getting ‘not a penalty’ from. Take away both of a player’s legs anywhere else on the pitch and it’s a stonewall free kick. 

mainly because he stamped on trippier which caused trippier to take his legs. The first foul was the Fulham player.

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

It was a free kick for Trippier before he kicked the Fulham player.

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

That is a huge relief, we looked very poor today and still managed to get the 3 points. Thank god.

You though that was very poor?!!! My goodness ... think some people aren't realising what Fulham are doing this season, you should try and catch some of their other games.

We had 63% possession and 20 shots to their 5. We were lucky with the penalty incident, but on the balance of play we were worthy winners.

About time we scraped a win like that instead of yet another frustrating home draw.