Newcastle United 1-0 Fulham (15/01/2023)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, Geogaddi said:

Not sure Fulham are good enough to keep this sort of run going , will undoubtedly be a tough game but they won’t come to kill the game like Leeds did for example which will play into our hands .

I was worried about this one. Think mainly because of a recurring sense of ‘it can’t last… surely it can’t last…’ and fancying Mitro to score. But then as you say they won’t shut up shop and they’re not as a manic in the press as Leeds. They’ll play their football against us; bring it on. 

Would be interested to see underlying numbers to Fulham's recent form. I'm sure I read that they concede quite a lot of shots and don't have many themselves but are very clinical. This may be part of their masterplan but could just be one of those runs too. Silva is quite a streaky manager, isn't he?

Anyway, I don't think he'll start Joelinton this weekend (may completely drop him, tbh) so we'll need to think about who takes the LW spot. I think he might surprise us with Isak from the off, especially if ASM isn't fully recovered from his illness.

A surprisingly important weekend this one with the possibility of us gaining 2 points on both Manchester and North London clubs if we can pick up the 3 points and the derbies end in draws.

If things go badly then we drop behind Manu and Spurs with Fulham right on our heels.

Can't see big Joe start so its a midfield three of Longstaff, Little Joe and Bruno with Miggy and ASM wide (Think Isak will be a sub but you never know). Lot of pressure on Little Joe and BDB down the left to stop crosses in for Mitro.

Think we'll have too much, close first half (1-0) and then we'll pull away last 20-25 with 2 more goals.

Howe will take criticism if he starts Joelinton, therefore he won't IMO. As for Isak/Maxi, if Isak starts wide left before Maxi it is a slap in the face for the latter.

Even though Joelinton is a big player for us, him starting from the bench shouldn't cause us too much weakness. Besides, it's high time Maxi gave us a good game.

We can't afford Joelinton to not be in the squad. We simply don't have the midfielders to sit on the bench.

Surely just fine Joelinton a couple of weeks wages and then that's the matter done, publicly make it aware that the fine is being donated to a related charity and get him to spend some time being educated on the issues of drink driving. PR masterclass.

Edited by KDT

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Why would anyone criticise Howe for playing Joelinton?

Our squad options are in shit in case you hadn't noticed. We need our best 11 players on the pitch.

Surely you know why. You might not agree, or you might prioritise results, but you know why. 

Fairly certain Joelinton doesn’t play. The brief comments seen from the Howe press conference say that he’s very upset and knows he’s done wrong. It’s best for everyone to take him out of the firing line right now I’d say 

1 minute ago, andyc35i said:

Fairly certain Joelinton doesn’t play. The brief comments seen from the Howe press conference say that he’s very upset and knows he’s done wrong. It’s best for everyone to take him out of the firing line right now I’d say 

On the other hand, a game in front of his own fans and a chance to make things better by bossing Fulham. 

(Haven't heard what Howe said though)

32 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Why would anyone criticise Howe for playing Joelinton?

Our squad options are in shit in case you hadn't noticed. We need our best 11 players on the pitch.

There was plenty critical of Moyes for playing Zouma. It's the sort of heat Howe often avoids.

I have no issues with him starting but I'd be surprised if he does.

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Another 0-0. 

Wouldn't surprise me. But equally I think Fulham are going to be more open than Leeds/Bournemouth were so I can only hope we get enough chances to score atleast 1. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

It's a game of opinions, but I can't see this being goalless. While it could have a feel of after the Lord Mayor's show about it, Fulham give up a lot of chances so I think they'll need to score to escape with something.

Agree. Wont end 0-0 this. Not taking anything away from Fulham but looking behind their results lately its a win over palace with two players sent off. Win over Southampton. A win over Leicester with a little bit of luck in the second half from what I have read. And a win over Chelsea who is one of the worst team in the league right now. As you say they also give up a lot of chances. The way we are playing at the moment is something different than the teams they have played. Dont say it will be an easy ride, but Fulham will have to play well here to get something.

If we play as well as we can with the crowd up for it then I think we’ll win. Wilson will be gradually getting back to his old self after illness as he’s lacked a bit of of an edge recently even if his hold up play has been great. With more training Isak will be chomping at the bit whether he starts or comes on (probably the latter) and ASM is due a performance too. I hope Howe doesn’t start Murphy but for some reason I feel he may play it safe 1st half with Joelinton probably on the bench. Our defence has what’s needed to take care of Mitro I think especially Botman. That said they’re a good side and crucially they’re playing with bags of confidence. There’ll be a few fans who might mistakenly think this will be an easy walkover. 

Have a feeling Isak may announce his return this weekend. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie