League Cup Semi Final: Southampton (a)/(h) on Tuesday 24th/31st January at 8pm (Sky)

Don't know what I'd prefer. Getting City now and having our best crack at them while they're needing to rotate their side, or the all Manchester semi dream and praying Man U knock them out. I'd fancy our chances in a final v anyone other than City.

Edited by sushimonster85

I think for us to beat Man City this season, it is far more likely in 1 match than over 2 legs. Therefore I hope the Manchester derby is 1 semi, and were in the other vs Wolves/Forest. Then roll the dice in the final and see what happens

Good chance whoever we play will be in FA Cup action in between both legs. Forest are the only other side who got knocked out.

City and potentially Wolves have difficult fourth round ties. You wonder how much rotation Man United will do for Reading.

Saturday’s result could be a blessing in disguise.

Games will be back-to-back for us as it’s FA Cup 4th round weekend in between.

Probably not a huge advantage as only Man City (Arsenal (h)) and Wolves if they beat Liverpool (Brighton (a)) look to have taxing games that weekend.

Good result in the first leg though and the build up to the second leg will be immense, especially if it’s a home.

I'd probably put the chances of going through something like 20% if we draw City, 38% if we draw Man Utd, and 68% or so if we drew any of the other 3, so naturally hope we avoid the two Manchester clubs, particularly City. That said, if someone offered me Man Utd now, I'd probably take it (especially if the home leg was second), mainly just to avoid City, but it should also be a good occasion, and would probably lock up one European spot in the league, should we fall short in the tie.

That said, this doesn't feel at all like a one off where the next semi final will be another 18 years away, like it might had we got there as plucky underdogs under say Rafa, and regardless, there should be plenty of other huge nights ahead of us. Yes, we've had a reasonable draw up to now, especially with all 3 of the (bottom half) PL sides being at home, and in future times we may get a Man City or Chelsea away early doors, but there'll surely be more latter stage opportunities in the coming years, maybe the Europa League next season, so there does seem a bit less pressure if that makes sense.

Just really looking forward to seeing us in a cup semi final (those under 25 won't have witnessed that before, crazy) regardless of who we get, and another exciting night for our club in a very exciting period.

The draw has had me day-dreaming of freak results now.

Such as, we get Man City in the semis with the away leg second. Sneak a 1-0 at home, and then absolutely shithouse, timewaste and foul our way to a 0-0 away as the press and pundits spontaneously combust and lobby for us to be called up for war crimes in the Hague.

Then tonk Man U 5-0 in the final, capped off with a Philippe Albert style fifth goal scored by none other than Big Dan Burn, as the whole of Blyth erupts in mayhem.

By my calculations, there's a 73% chance of this happening.

I get the argument of having to beat the best team at some stage, but I’d rather than we only have to play one of the remaining two ‘top’ teams. Forest in the semis and then whoever in the final is what I’d be looking for

8 minutes ago, TRC said:

The Manchester clubs have a pile up of fixtures here.

Bad enough now, if we can avoid either till the final in Feb they will also have European games to contend with as well. Not just pissy dead rubber group games either, but knockout games. 

Man City will be pissed off drawing us to be honest as because of our demonstrated attitude to this competition they’d have to choose between playing their first XI against us in two games during a very busy period for them, or otherwise potentially going out.