Crystal Palace vs. Newcastle United: 21/01/23 @ 5:30pm - Live on Sky

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Feel like the gods of football owe us thee points here. That said, we struggled to break them down/ok to score (ish) at home fixture. Last night was a good result for them against an inform Manure. On the stats they had a much better second half (possession and chances wise). Fancy us to get a goal early doors and a nice 1-0 HT, 2-0 FT solid and organised performance. 

They looked absolutely terrible last night, very easy to play through and wasteful in attack. Man Utd were also really bad. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They looked absolutely terrible last night, very easy to play through and wasteful in attack. Man Utd were also really bad. 

It was one of the worst games of PL football i can remember watching quality wise, players on both sides just constantly giving the ball away.

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They are easy to play through but don't concede a ton of goals. It kind of works. They play with 2 defence first fullbacks which balances some of the attackers who don't always defend with intensity

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Burn

Willock Longstaff Joelinton

Almiron Isak Saint-Maximin

Bruno for ASM if he somehow makes it and Willock/Joelinton to LW.

Edited by IzzyIsak

3 minutes ago, IzzyIsak said:

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Burn

Willock Longstaff Joelinton

Almiron Isak Saint-Maximin

Bruno for ASM if he somehow makes it and Willock/Joelinton to LW.

It would be a shame to disband the left side of Willock and Joelinton, but I agree that this is the way to go tomorrow, although I think Wilson will start and Isak will in midweek.

So the big debate is whether to start Wilson/Isak vs Palace or Southampton.

I suppose Howes real question is who is suited to which opposition. I'd argue that Palace are more likely to have a tight defence, so I'd want Wilson available to for those cute finishes or will there be more space on the pitch and more counter attacking opportunities for Isak?

3 minutes ago, STM said:

I suppose Howes real question is who is suited to which opposition. I'd argue that Palace are more likely to have a tight defence, so I'd want Wilson available to for those cute finishes or will there be more space on the pitch and more counter attacking opportunities for Isak?

For me it's just time for Isak to be the main man, Wilson will need to start being phased out, simply can't be relied on injury wise and i think Isak is a better player anyway

We might be 2-0 up or something after 60 mins, could bring Isak off for Wilson and start Isak again on Tues.

3 minutes ago, IzzyIsak said:

For me it's just time for Isak to be the main man, Wilson will need to start being phased out, simply can't be relied on injury wise and i think Isak is a better player anyway

We might be 2-0 up or something after 60 mins, could bring Isak off for Wilson and start Isak again on Tues.

And thats fine but we have 2 games in 4 days. We could play the same team in both but with Isak just back from injury I can't see that.

The question is which do you see as a priority? 

7 minutes ago, STM said:

And thats fine but we have 2 games in 4 days. We could play the same team in both but with Isak just back from injury I can't see that.

The question is which do you see as a priority? 

Saturday as we have two goes at Southampton, we can't let up on this champs league opportunity.

Edited by IzzyIsak

I'm hoping if ASM starts, which I'm guessing will be the case.  That he might be able to provide a bit of spark and we can create some more clear cut openings.  

I know it has also been down to poor finishing and we did also play Arsenal in between.  But we were about 5 minutes away from a third successive 0-0 in the league.  

Whilst we might lose a bit of control and solidity by playing ASM wide and Bruno missing out.  It will hopefully mean the attack might be a bit more balanced, with a genuine threat from both sides. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

Wilson starts on Saturday, I reckon.  

Unless we somehow have the luxury of a decent lead early doors, so that Wilson can be taken off and rested after 60 mins or so.  Then Isak starts against Southampton, I reckon.  Can't see Wilson starting two games in four days. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Feel like the gods of football owe us thee points here. That said, we struggled to break them down/ok to score (ish) at home fixture. Last night was a good result for them against an inform Manure. On the stats they had a much better second half (possession and chances wise). Fancy us to get a goal early doors and a nice 1-0 HT, 2-0 FT solid and organised performance. 

Andersen was superb at SJP, I thought.  I'm glad that he's missing.  

The lad that came in for him last night looked pretty decent.  But they were sloppy and wide open in their half for a good hour or so and Man U really should have been a bit more positive and got at them. 

I think and hope we will create some better openings this time. 

If they start with the same team as yesterday they are in trouble. If the second leg team starts its something different. Hughes in midfield is some of the worst I have seen for a while. But Clyne will start anyway i think, and we have to attack that side with Maximin if Bruno out.

I thought Manu played 10 times better than palace last night.
Palace disn’t really threaten their goal at all.

For me palace flatter to deceive, their midfield is crap and only zaha and olise are the decent players they have