Crystal Palace vs. Newcastle United: 21/01/23 @ 5:30pm - Live on Sky

Bruno won’t train this week you’d think so therefore he won’t start.  ASM in and move Joelinton. Don’t need to complicate things further by dropping Wilson for Isak.

Have a feeling Bruno injury won’t be that serious. Based on nothing but the incident itself and him trying to run it off.

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Bruno won’t train this week you’d think so therefore he won’t start.  ASM in and move Joelinton. Don’t need to complicate things further by dropping Wilson for Isak.

Have a feeling Bruno injury won’t be that serious. Based on nothing but the incident itself and him trying to run it off.

Small strapping and looked happy enough in post-match pic so here’s hoping 🤞 

4 hours ago, TRC said:

These lot are shite, their fans arent happy with the commitment levels from their players. Early goal and they fold. 4-0 Wilson x2, Isak x2

Early goal is key. Palace cant sit back and make it difficult. It will be like when they played Spurs. Son flew behind them time after time. Isak, Wilson, Almiron, Maximin and Willock thrives in conditions like that 

I was confident before Fulham of three points, but I'm not as confident here.  This is precisely the sort of place and game NUFC historically don't do well in - and I'm talking pre-Ashley, KK and BR years too.  I'd take a point if the footballing gods offered it up now.  At some point we're going to go behind, and if we do I suspect we'll struggle against the mid-table sides who then shut up shop.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I was confident before Fulham of three points, but I'm not as confident here.  This is precisely the sort of place and game NUFC historically don't do well in - and I'm talking pre-Ashley, KK and BR years too.  I'd take a point if the footballing gods offered it up now.  At some point we're going to go behind, and if we do I suspect we'll struggle against the mid-table sides who then shut up shop.

However we seem to be doing better against those teams when playing away and they have to come out a bit more.

However Palace in the two games so far have been pretty good at getting round our press and for all we should have won both games they were close and couldn't argue with draws.

Palace have been poor at home.  In their last two home games they’ve lost 0-4 to Spurs and 0-2 to Fulham.  Managed one win since the World Cup beating Bournemouth away. Otherwise they haven’t scored. 

We’re creating a lot of good opportunities. I think we’ll hammer them.

Away games do suit us a little more, especially against "midtable" teams. They will want to play and attack more than they did when they came up to us so we should have more opportunities and we should've won that game if not for a terrible VAR decision. 

The easy choice would be to just swap in ASM for Bruno like on Sunday but I'd actually like to see Isak start as well.  Leave Wilson on the bench with a view to keeping him fresher for the Southampton game or to bring on if we need a goal. 

Fulham was a tough game as expected as they are in form. The team was playing as a well functioning unit just like us. They were difficult to beat but we scrapped through it at last

Crystal Palace isn’t playing that well. I would be genuinely disappointed if we can’t get three points. No disrespect to Palace.

100% that Joelinton can drop into Midfield and fulfil the role left empty by Bruno for Saturday.

My only undecided point would be whether I would like Isak to drop in on the left or have Maxi play there.  I am edging towards Isak in my mind.

A lot rides on the performance and alertness of Longstaff now that Bruno is not there to sweep up for him for a few games.  I do not doubt or question for a second the work ethic of Longstaff, my concerns about him have always been his tendency to be caught watching the game going on around him and his reaction time when a ball is played to him. (His shooting is another story but, it is fair enough...  tons of players fall apart when they have a scoring opportunity - he is not the first).  I am also very nervous when we leave him as last man when we have set pieces such as corners, he is the easiest player to get past, a simple drop of the shoulder always seems to do him.  He needs to work hard on that defensive side to his game.

Honestly, these lot are demoralized and not playing that well, I would seriously consider starting Wilson and Isak in the formation we used at the end of the fulham game and just go for the throat. Harsh on Willock who would lose out but equally he has been playing a lot of games so a rest may not be the worst thing in the world. 

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Bruno's absence will be a huge loss. We failed to win any of the three games that he was out injured for earlier in the season (Wolves, Liverpool and Palace). 

Fair to say his absence shouldn't have cost us points in two of those, had we taken our chances/if the officials had been doing their jobs. 

Edited by The Prophet

17 hours ago, LFEE said:

Agreed. Bring Isak on after 60 mins aswell. 

Palace have some clever forwards. I think they know what they’re good at. Some day a team like Palace are gonna get around our high press and use pacy forwards to get at our back line. 
Hope it’s not this weekend!