Safe standing

NUFC91

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

I'd love to see the whole of the East stand converted to standing, it could be fucking bouncing. Wonder how many would stay :indi:

Don't think many of the East Stand can stand unassisted tbh

Edited by jack j

Two times i've stood at SJP.

The first was against Derby in about 99 or 2000 when the seat protest was going on..second was Bournemouth last season as i was second back row of the gallowgate and the bloke behind me was also standing.

It's just miles better.

I appreciate that not everyone can or wants to stand for 90 mins though.

Edited by IzzyIsak

Bumping this again..some observations.

1. Yes music before game is shite and doesnt help but can't use this as excuse.

2. It's clear to see there is appetite from alot of fans giving fans standing in both leazes corners and gallowgate..

3. Trust need more force from fans as their current agenda and points are embarassing, kit make, wifi.

4. Is it worth the fans writing to club raising profile and how this is a must?

5. Large amount of fans undo wor flags hard work by not carrying atmosphere into game.

6. Lads leaving after 80 mins can fuck off.

@Heron feel for the work you and lads do....just wondering what you lads think and if alot of lads on here etc can get to together and make the point to club.  As you know I've put this Trust and they keep saying they'll stick it out yo members.

Any ideas lads be great, all i want it the craic back at St james

17 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

As you know I've put this Trust and they keep saying they'll stick it out yo members

It's all they ever say. At the end of the day, the Trust are scared to rock the boat with the club, especially if it doesn't suit the board members. Like you say, WiFi is a higher priority for them.

Agree with everything you said - ideally there would be 2 standing/singing sections - SEC & L7 (next to away fans). Would allow the atmosphere to bounce round the ground a bit too.

I think we need to stop playing Hey Jude pre-match too, or at least turn it off and let the fans take over. Sounds incredibly cheesy imo and forced. Let the atmosphere build organically for games like last night.

Of course, it's basically impossible to create a fantastic atmosphere every games - people just aren't as up for it at 12:30 on a Saturday or 14:00 on a Sunday which I guess is fair enough, but safe standing would definitely improve it.

16 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

It's all they ever say. At the end of the day, the Trust are scared to rock the boat with the club, especially if it doesn't suit the board members. Like you say, WiFi is a higher priority for them.

Agree with everything you said - ideally there would be 2 standing/singing sections - SEC & L7 (next to away fans). Would allow the atmosphere to bounce round the ground a bit too.

I think we need to stop playing Hey Jude pre-match too, or at least turn it off and let the fans take over. Sounds incredibly cheesy imo and forced. Let the atmosphere build organically for games like last night.

Of course, it's basically impossible to create a fantastic atmosphere every games - people just aren't as up for it at 12:30 on a Saturday or 14:00 on a Sunday which I guess is fair enough, but safe standing would definitely improve it.

A did say this to them last time, why not just flag to club rather than fannying on with surveys.

Am i right in thinking the club hsbe pretty much everything im control so lets make this a priority ffs

Real potential for Leazes level 7 actually thought there was decent noise from there at times on Tuesday. Loads were up for it on Tuesday they just need to be in the same area to really keep it going, hopefully encourage a better songbook to as it’s fucking shite at the minute.

Surely you want this directly behind the goal, not at the back of the stadium?

Packing more fans in (which will eventually happen) needs to be close in to the pitch visually and to better carry the noise out, not hidden away 5 miles up where you need a sherpa to get to your seat and nobody can see or hear you.

I get that L7 has a reputation from years gone by as being where there's a lot of singers, but aside from that it's really not the best place in terms of acoustics or visuals to actually put a singing section.

24 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Surely you want this directly behind the goal, not at the back of the stadium?

Packing more fans in (which will eventually happen) needs to be close in to the pitch visually and to better carry the noise out, not hidden away 5 miles up where you need a sherpa to get to your seat and nobody can see or hear you.

I get that L7 has a reputation from years gone by as being where there's a lot of singers, but aside from that it's really not the best place in terms of acoustics or visuals to actually put a singing section.

Definitely agree with this. The safe standing area of SJP needs to be the Gallowgate. Having a singing section should be as much about being a visual spectacle as an aural one. Having fans hidden away in the Gods won't help the atmosphere anywhere near as much as having a visual "Kop" end behind the goal.

20 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Real potential for Leazes level 7 actually thought there was decent noise from there at times on Tuesday. Loads were up for it on Tuesday they just need to be in the same area to really keep it going, hopefully encourage a better songbook to as it’s fucking shite at the minute.

Yeah. But we’ve got Bruno in the middle don’t you know?

Does anyone keep a record of which end we kick off attacking. 

We kicked off towards the gallowgate versus Soton which is rare we usually if given the option kick off towards the leazes and then towards the gallowgate 2nd half (at least since the 1980s it might have been the other way when the Leazes was the main end).

iirc it’s also done due to a slight decline towards the gallowgate end for tires kegs second half. 

anyway I digress but it seemed strange watching them defend the GE 2nd half not attacking it. 

Just now, OCOCOL said:

Does anyone keep a record of which end we kick off attacking. 

We kicked off towards the gallowgate versus Soton which is rare we usually if given the option kick off towards the leazes and then towards the gallowgate 2nd half (at least since the 1980s it might have been the other way when the Leazes was the main end).

iirc it’s also done due to a slight decline towards the gallowgate end for tires kegs second half. 

anyway I digress but it seemed strange watching them defend the GE 2nd half not attacking it. 

I imagine because Southampton won the toss. Surprises me that more teams don’t do it tbh.

14 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I imagine because Southampton won the toss. Surprises me that more teams don’t do it tbh.

They used to track this in the official programme, not sure if they still do. Wasn't much difference between ends statistically-speaking, but I fucking hate us attacking the Gallowgate first.

We used to get turned around more when I first started going, was pretty much 50/50 some seasons.

Would of been a lot easier if club had had large block of general sale tickets like some clubs do. We could of just moved safe standing to this area.

In an ideal world level 4 Leazes or behind the goal. I am sure club would love it if put across correctly. you see loads of game lads, just get them together.

I do think a lot of fans would move if seat was better, if you moved people from level 4 leazes to strawberry corner or Gallowgate I doubt they would complain? In terms of St James that corner of Leazes would be best suited and create most noise.

• 2 weeks later...

After the ticket issues for the cup final, I’m looking forward to the season ticket fume when some people are asked to move to create a safe standing section.

I sincerely hope it’s bigger than just the Strawberry Corner, as that is already effectively at capacity and has more that sit then don’t. 

Edited by TheGuv

33 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

After the ticket issues for the cup final, I’m looking forward to the season ticket fume when some people are asked to move to create a safe standing section.

I sincerely hope it’s bigger than just the Strawberry Corner, as that is already effectively at capacity and has more that sit then don’t. 

A 50% discount on your ticket for a couple of seasons should quell most of the discontent I would think.

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

A few with season tickets need shaken up, if they don’t want to create an atmosphere they certainly won’t want to be in a standing section.

Oh dear, I can’t be arsed with the cry arsing to the Chronicle from the ST holders asked to move a few rows to accommodate this.

I would love the whole Gallowgate to be safe standing. Certainly hope we are talking thousands rather than just a few hundred anyways. 

Hopefully only a very small minority would be fully resistant to moving, but it's easy to be pessimistic about certain SJP attendees potentially sacrificing something for the greater good.

A safe standing section as large as regulations allow would be tremendous,  and I think those in it would really make the most of it.