Non-Geordies, why do you support Newcastle United?

HawK

1 minute ago, Guybrush said:

I do think it's quite mental how well you use Geordie words and phrases in every day posting like [emoji38]. Have you spent any time in Newcastle at all?

Not since I was a bairn, like.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Aye, I'm still about 5% believing he's really a welder from Killingworth.

He looks more like a plater than a welder. Definite Swan Hunter vibes though. 

41 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

From Devon

Shearer was my favourite England player at France 98 when I was 6. Asked my dad who he played for and considered myself a Newcastle fan from then on, though I didn’t take a real interest in football until the 03/04 season under Bobby.

Oh man if only you'd been 2 years earlier.

I wonder if cinematic classic 'Goal!' tricked anyone into B&W fandom?  Dreaming of being Santi and scoring against Foolham.  There has to be someone!

All these stories are great - but you're all bastard mad as far as I'm concerned :) - supporting Ashley-era NUFC was like being repeatedly kicked in the bollocks.

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

:lol:

[emoji38] Honestly there's a dissertation topic on that like. "Absorbing regional vernacular through online osmosis: a case study". It would be more interesting than the weekly "But how do you really feel about the Saudi takeover?" dissertations that pop up on here every other week.

3 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

[emoji38] Honestly there's a dissertation topic on that like. "Absorbing regional vernacular through online osmosis: a case study". It would be more interesting than the weekly "But how do you really feel about the Saudi takeover?" dissertations that pop up on here every other week.

It would be pretty interesting like. Mike reads to me like the theatre kid trying to ham up the Geordie accent in Byker Grove though. :lol: Tbf, that's pretty good going. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Growing up in Sweden in the 80’s and early 90’s you could only see one game per week on the saturday. It was always different teams and internet wasn’t a thing either of course so it was difficult to get attached to a team. You basically saw the table and result in the paper. 

Then sometime in the mid 90’s a company started showing more games as the PL was adapted for Tv audience with more games at different times. That coincided with the Keegan days and the entertainers, and that was it. I was hooked on the fantastic kits, the football, the goals, the beatiful but ragged industrial city. internet became a house hold thing also around 95-96 and I started reading about Super Mac, Jackie Milburn, the ship yards, the Tyne bridge, the blaydon races. 

Even wrote an essay on Newcastle upon Tyne in English class in high school. 

Now in my 40’s I have been to Newcastle 3 times, and i’m going again for the Brighton game. I can easily say I support Newcastle United more than any team in Sweden. I think that’s quite common for my generation. *

*not NUFC but an English team

Edited by ShakaHislop

Well, I learned of English football playing a C64 game called Peja Football. Loved the concept of the English Pyramid. After buying Champ Man 2 I looked into getting a satellite dish and found out the only way to watch the PL was in Spanish on Fox Sports Americas. I followed Newcastle for the simple reason I liked Newcastle Brown Ale and soon learned all the players. After a few years I stopped watching and kept an eye on the table every once in a while. In the summer of 2021 I started collecting football shirts and started working very closely with our UK team. I started watching the PL in August on Peacock and didn't see many Newcastle games because I was trying to watch as many different teams as I could to learn all the current players. I always started in lower leagues in FM. Anyway, while on a call with the UK managers wearing my Newcastle shirt one of the cracked "Saudi Colors" and I had no idea about the takeover. The rest is history, I haven't missed a single league game since. Such a fun team to support.

I got stuck on this rollercoaster of emotions way back in 1993/94 when my father was working in Newcastle.
I was 11 years old and on one of his trips he brought back a 'Toon Army' scarf, hat and a home kit home to Sweden.

Having just started playing football myself around a year or so earlier I was hooked from then as I liked being the underdog to all my friends teams.

Suffice to say the Keegan and Robson years were fantastic. Naturally Eddie has awakened that certain tingle again after a decade or so of a more troublesome kind of love. :D 

Edited by clintdempsey

My Grandma on my Mam’s side of the family were all from Durham. Most moved to Leicester when they were quite a bit younger for work.

I spent loads of time with them as a youn’un and knew the Blaydon Races as a song before I was a fan. As my Grandma and Great Auntie would sing it to me as a kid. 

Never really had many football fans in the family. My old man is allegedly an Arsenal fan. But I’ve seen them live more than him. Leicester was sort of an option. After that, the local team is Cambridge. Then it’s about an hour to Ipswich, Norwich, Arsenal or West Ham. If you’re talking bigger clubs. 

Nobody really forced anything. But my Great Uncle gave me a couple of old Toon shirts when I was about 6-7 and it stuck from there, really. 

It did help that we were good at the time, of course. But we have mainly been shite since. Only really got to a couple of games in the CL era with Robson. But it’s mainly been Clubber Lang style PAAAAAIIIIIINNNNN for most of my life. 

My dad's first job in the NHS happened to be at the RVI, so we were lucky enough to move to Newcastle from India in April 1998, followed by a year in South Shields when he worked at South Tyneside District. Moved around the country a fair bit during those early years, but we settled in Cheltenham. As you can imagine from growing up there, my accent is now far from what people expect from a Newcastle fan, so I have to keep justifying my support but it is what it is. 

54 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Oh man if only you'd been 2 years earlier.

Honestly. Until a year ago it’s been a pretty consistently miserable experience with a few highlights in between (HBA, Rafa etc.), but I feel I’ve done my time and deserve to enjoy our success as a result :lol:

I’m reluctant to get involved in these threads, I’m reminded of the self defecator from the forum’s long gone history who set up a thread to ask people where they came from, and then proceeded to use that info until he got banned to explain to people that because they were born the wrong side of the Tyne they had no right to an opinion.

48 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It would be pretty interesting like. Mike reads to me like the theatre kid trying to ham up the Geordie accent in Byker Grove though. :lol: Tbf, that's pretty good going. 

:lol: You've called me a lot of shit over the years but Theater Kid is too far. Goddamn.

My parents and grandparents are geordies, I was born in the midlands. Followed the Toon for 35 years and always will, my sons who are 12 and 7 both also big Toon fans! You'd be suprised how many Newcastle fans live in the midlands! Geordies and non geordies.

Grandad was French and came over from Marseille in the 50’s to find work. Settled in Newcastle for 6 years before moving to Manchester when he got a promotion. He used to go to SJP every week though when he lived in the toon and never stopped supporting them. My mum and dad died when I was 4 so he and my Nan raised me - I never had a chance to support the teams my mates were supporting when I had that little toon mad Frenchman indoctrinating us. Miss him everyday and my support for the toon is my link to him that will never be broken.