Non-Geordies, why do you support Newcastle United?

HawK

6 hours ago, ShakaHislop said:

Growing up in Sweden in the 80’s and early 90’s you could only see one game per week on the saturday. It was always different teams and internet wasn’t a thing either of course so it was difficult to get attached to a team. You basically saw the table and result in the paper. 

Then sometime in the mid 90’s a company started showing more games as the PL was adapted for Tv audience with more games at different times. That coincided with the Keegan days and the entertainers, and that was it. I was hooked on the fantastic kits, the football, the goals, the beatiful but ragged industrial city. internet became a house hold thing also around 95-96 and I started reading about Super Mac, Jackie Milburn, the ship yards, the Tyne bridge, the blaydon races. 

Even wrote an essay on Newcastle upon Tyne in English class in high school. 

Now in my 40’s I have been to Newcastle 3 times, and i’m going again for the Brighton game. I can easily say I support Newcastle United more than any team in Sweden. I think that’s quite common for my generation. *

*not NUFC but an English team

Lovely post however sorry to have to point out but the Brighton game will be cancelled if we get to the Cup Final as it’s the same weekend so you may want to rethink your plans 😬 

Grew up in a family of Liverpool fans. So, I hate Liverpool. :lol:

Early 90s (maybe 91/92), my oldest brother went to Uni at Teeside and my folks went over to visit him. Somehow they brought back football shirts for me and my other brother. A home and an away shirt. Being the Liverpool fan, he was a spoiled shit about it and I now had two Newcastle shirts. Started from there. I've kinda grown into the misery that came after the initial highs, and I genuinely feel a deep bond with the club and by extension, the region. Shit's weird like that. 

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Lovely post however sorry to have to point out but the Brighton game will be cancelled if we get to the Cup Final as it’s the same weekend so you may want to rethink your plans 😬 

Haha yeah I know, we haven’t booked any travel yet due to this, only the tickets for the game. 😇

Hope to god we make to Wembley now, really want to see us in a final again. And cause plane tickets will be bloody expensive if we still have to book them for 25th feb after the semis 😬

Not used to having to check for cup final dates yet. 😅

2 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread about living in the city and being surrounded by football that you can't help but fall in love with the club. Which makes it weird to me how some born and bred Geordies can actually say they don't like football. It's so alien to me.

I do reckon more geordies like football than in a lot of other parts of the country though. At school it seemed like the vast majority of lads were into it, and if you weren't, you were considered a bit odd for it. Then I went to uni  and met loads of lads not arsed about football..

As an NUFC fan living in the now defunct MLF stronghold of West Gateshead I suppose I first started supporting Newcastle as part of the MLF turncoat era of 1992.  I supped gravy and stared at SJP from my window as did 98% of my home village who also suddenly became turncoats... and we were hooked. 

5 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread about living in the city and being surrounded by football that you can't help but fall in love with the club. Which makes it weird to me how some born and bred Geordies can actually say they don't like football. It's so alien to me.

I'm a monkey hanger originally before moving to Gateshead, didn't even like football but these damn Geordies wore me down.

7 minutes ago, Wilson said:

As an NUFC fan living in the now defunct MLF stronghold of West Gateshead I suppose I first started supporting Newcastle as part of the MLF turncoat era of 1992.  I supped gravy and stared at SJP from my window as did 98% of my home village who also suddenly became turncoats... and we were hooked. 

Sad to hear West Gateshead has fallen. 

5 hours ago, KingArthur said:

33-year-old from Finland. Saw the UCL game against Feyenoord from Finnish Tv for some reason, cannot recall if it was highlights only, but I guess it was full match. Just somehow started to support from that, and of course couldn't see the games very often, but managed to talk my dad into paying for football channels so could watch almost every game. Have seen pretty much all the games since 2005. First and only time that I have seen Newcastle live was at Craven Cottage during Rafa's Championship season. Huge and loud away support btw. Of course we lost 0-1... Been reading this forum for a long long time and nufc.com match reports and other interesting thing. Took me a while to figure out what "wor" means lol.

edit. I was staying at Edinburgh the season when we played Europa League with Pardew, and was hoping to get to game that weekend, but of course we had EL game that Thursday and the game got postponed to Sunday, when I was flying back already..

No one supported Newcastle where I am from. Father thought Shearer was a great player obv tho, but all were Arsenal, ManU or Liverpool fans, and pretty much still are here. 

Souness' time, Kinnear, Bruce, Carver. Through a lot of shit for team thousand miles away. My local team plays in black and white also, so funny coincidence.

It was the full match and the main match of the night, still remember watching that with my dad. :lol: 

I support Newcastle because my Dad did so my siblings did so I did (I'm the youngest at 54).

Don't know what the reasons were for my Dad's choice of allegiance but I'm happy with it.:)

It may be that his Dad was a Newcastle fan but considering my Dad was born in 1926 I doubt it, whatever the original reasons were,

year's of watching, err... not great football with a few good year's might pay off in the very long run.

HTL!

Was born in London, Dad was a Londoner and huge Chelsea fan, Mum a geordie and Toon fan. Used to visit family and spend summer holidays with family in Walker & Byker, other kids were jetting off to Spain or somewhere warm, i was holidaying on Welbeck and Shields Road. 

Used to go to away games down South and was hooked. First game at St James was a friendly against Sporting Lisbon and Lee Clark ran riot, and i immediately become obsessed with him and he was my favourite player, bedroom walls were covered in the A4 posters of him from Shoot and Match magazines.

My Aunt used to get the Pink sports paper on a saturday evening post-match and post it down to along with anything else Newcastle related.

Still live down south, near Guildford but have been a season ticket holder for about 15 years now and get to most games home and away.

36 years old and from Finland. I'm sad that I honestly can't remember how I became a NUFC fan but it must be during the mid 90s. My dad and then best friend who was two years older than me were both Man United fans so I'm pretty sure I picked someone good to oppose them. English football has always been really big in Finland and our BBC used to show one 3pm game on Saturday for decades until a pay channel bought the rights in the late 90s iirc. Can't really remember any NUFC matches from the 90s, only faint memories about the cup disappointments. We had satellite channels in the 90s but only remember watching Serie A on Rai channels and La Liga on TVE as PL was already on pay channels everywhere. Then in the summer of 2001 my dad finally ordered the pay channel that showed PL and the timing couldn't have been better and I remember being obsessed right away. Proper sad that I can't remember almost anything NUFC-related from the 90s though, at least the SBR years are clear in my mind.

Been to four games, 6-0 win against Villa after the promotion and 2-1 win against Spurs when HBA scored a penalty. Then the lovely double header of Benfica knocking us out of Europa League when Pardew tried to defend a multi-goal win that we needed and 0-3 loss against the mackems aka the horse punching game. Was proper terrified after the game, you can see me queuing to Shark Bar in the background on some of the horse pictures as I was too scared to go anywhere else. :lol: Love the city and everyone I've met from here have been lovely. Can't wait to get back soon, should really put some effort into securing a ticket to a home game and fly over this season. 

Edited by Pata

I'm from Northumberland. The only person in my family who likes football is my grandma, she's from Throckley so it was basically nailed on from birth that I'd be a fan. It would have been difficult not to become a fan even without that though. As someone said, every lad at my school was into football and 99% of them were Newcastle fans. Plus I loved goalkeepers when I was a kid and thought Srnicek was awesome, then Hislop, then Given. Fate really.

As a young Danish lad I fell in love with the club in the 93/94 season. I remember being impressed by this newly promoted side that finished 3rd and played some excellent football. Andy Cole was my first footballing hero. I was 11 years old and cried my eyes out when we sold him to Man Utd.

26 minutes ago, mosstef said:

As a young Danish lad I fell in love with the club in the 93/94 season. I remember being impressed by this newly promoted side that finished 3rd and played some excellent football. Andy Cole was my first footballing hero. I was 11 years old and cried my eyes out when we sold him to Man Utd.

At my first game someone asked who my favourite player was I said Andy Cole turned out it was his last game :lol:

When I was 10, I was on holiday. Had always liked and played football but I moved around south a lot so I didn't have a "team". 

Lo and behold I made fwends with a geordie boy, and we started playing football on the grass etc like kids do. And he wanted to know what team I supported and I said "England". And he was like but you have to have a team to support. Then he asked me who my favourite player was and of course my answer was "Alan Shearer".

" Well you should support Newcastle then"

And there we have it. I live in Brighton and have done since I was 18 but can I get on board with the team? Nope. Because we went head to head with them in the championship I can't even have them as a "second team". In fact I always hope they lose!!! 

I'm definitely an adopted geordie :)

11 hours ago, HawK said:

The Sunderland thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent towards this discussion and got me thinking there could be some interesting origin stories from some of the supporters on here.

Mine is here - https://newcastle-online.org/topic/37260-sunderland/?do=findComment&comment=7415468

How did you end up supporting Newcastle United?

This is a great idea for a thread Hawk. Well played :clap:

Great thread!  High-brow answer is I was born in the northeast and was at an age of getting "into" football, didn't want to support one of the Edinburgh teams so looked for the 1st division club nearest to where I was born which was the Newcastle.

Real answer: Jossy's Giants kids programme on BBC.