Non-Geordies, why do you support Newcastle United?

HawK

12 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Soz

I remember replying to one question/set of questions but then I didn't reply to your follow-up. I felt bad and kept meaning to. It was in the middle of me moving from the UK/China to the US.

No worries! I used all the replies I received so you definitely made it into the final product, and hey not everyone can live up to Mike's high standards so don't beat yourself up.

Now, Deuce on the other hand... That fucker completely ghosted me [emoji38]

9 hours ago, andyman said:

I grew up watching all the kids in the neighbourhood in Manchester United and Liverpool kits. My older brother supported Tottenham. So I asked my dad what other teams are out there, cause I wanted to "support something other than all the others did". My dad told me there's a team called Newcastle and that they play entertaining football. This was in 1995. I was about to turn 6, and my dad bought me the smallest Newcastle top he could find in our little hometown here in Norway, but it was wayyyy oversized for little me. Pretty sure it was size small for adults. I have to see if I can find a photo, I looked like an idiot running around in that and a Newcastle beanie :lol: I remember my dad told me it's possible to change jobs and wives, but when you pick your football team, you're stuck. And the poor bugger is stuck supporting Stoke. Bless him. But yeah, I never looked back. Been supporting through thick and thin. Lived in Newcastle for six months in 2013, time of my life even though we were absolutely shit. Made me fall even more in love with it all. Wish I could do that again sometime. If I could get my hands on a season ticket, I probably would tbh. The people of Newcastle are lovely. It's my home from home :aww:

Now I need the story of how your Dad ended up following Stoke. 

Bit of a weird answer for me as well. After the 2006 World Cup, interest in football in the US exploded overall and so did mine, and a popular online sports writer named Bill Simmons wrote a lengthy quasi-pop culture article talking about how to get into the EPL afterwards, comparing each EPL club to a bunch of US sports for reference. A couple stood out to my college roommates and I as similar to the underdog teams from big towns I grew up with - Liverpool and Newcastle. My roommates decided Liverpool was the one for them, while I wanted to be a contrarian from them, and the infamous video of Dyer and Bowyer fighting was enticing enough to follow NUFC as a lark.

Fast forward a few months to the 06-07 season, I've found this N-O forum and watched enough hilarious low-quality Chinese streams of matches to get hooked. I then graduated, moved to New York, and started waking up early in the morning to get to a pub called Nevada Smiths along with a bunch of other ex-pat Brits to watch NUFC, and a lifelong passion was formed. Despite never having made it to out to Newcastle itself or seen NUFC in person, and despite games here in Seattle often starting at 6AM or 7AM, I still manage to watch nearly every match (sometimes on a delay now when the baby wakes up too early). My now diehard Liverpool supporter friends enjoyed more success these last 17 years, but hoping to finally have the upper hand now and taste some real success after all the fallow years!

Edit: Here's the infamous article that started it all. Quite the cultural artifact of the early internet: https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719_2

Edited by toonarmy

25 minutes ago, toonarmy said:

Bit of a weird answer for me as well. After the 2006 World Cup, interest in football in the US exploded overall and so did mine, and a popular online sports writer named Bill Simmons wrote a lengthy quasi-pop culture article talking about how to get into the EPL afterwards, comparing each EPL club to a bunch of US sports for reference. A couple stood out to my college roommates and I as similar to the underdog teams from big towns I grew up with - Liverpool and Newcastle. My roommates decided Liverpool was the one for them, while I wanted to be a contrarian from them, and the infamous video of Dyer and Bowyer fighting was enticing enough to follow NUFC as a lark.

Fast forward a few months to the 06-07 season, I've found this N-O forum and watched enough hilarious low-quality Chinese streams of matches to get hooked. I then graduated, moved to New York, and started waking up early in the morning to get to a pub called Nevada Smiths along with a bunch of other ex-pat Brits to watch NUFC, and a lifelong passion was formed. Despite never having made it to out to Newcastle itself or seen NUFC in person, and despite games here in Seattle often starting at 6AM or 7AM, I still manage to watch nearly every match (sometimes on a delay now when the baby wakes up too early). My now diehard Liverpool supporter friends enjoyed more success these last 17 years, but hoping to finally have the upper hand now and taste some real success after all the fallow years!

Edit: Here's the infamous article that started it all. Quite the cultural artifact of the early internet: https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719_2

That article - and the Bowyer fight sealing it :lol:

PS - hi from just over the water in Victoria BC

I am from Hong Kong. Beginning to watch EPL since 1995. After one year I noticed that I kept on checking live broadcast schedule for Newcastle United. The next year I bought myself a kit as a birthday present. After graduation I bought myself a mug with the badge printed on it to use in office.

I don’t know how to answer “why”. Sometimes you love something without any reason behind. It just happened.

38 minutes ago, toonarmy said:

Theo Walcott didn't really pan out as the LeBron of the EPL did he?

Back in the late 90s, living just down the road in Kent, I heard this bloke called Shearer could play a bit and also my parents got a black and white cat. No brainier really. 

It was the Dalglish area too so I missed the Keegan era fun. Been questioning my choice for years [emoji38] .

Not a Geordie but did end up going to Newcastle Uni in 2008. It wasn’t my first choice, but I’m sure the football subconsciously helped me pick it. I ended up staying there until 2020, had a terrific time and became friends with many passionate Newcastle fans who I speak to all the time. 

Questionable timing given I moved there not long after Ashley took over and left not long before he left, but can’t have it all…

Said before... my grandparents were Geordies but I didn't know that as a wee tacker growing up in Australia (despite their impenetrable accents) until I'd already picked a team.

As others have said - you pick a team, you have to stick with them, but Newcastle have been my second team since the late 70s. Loved the Keegan era (what a team) and went so fucking close. Very happy to see the club doing so well again. 

Very much looking forward to Kuol making his St James debut. (He's from my club back in Oz.)

This is embarrassing.  As someone from the States, I liked watching Michael Owen (please don’t judge me).  Followed Newcastle when he signed and instantly felt a passion from the supporters you don’t see anywhere else.  Even thru the worse owner ever in Ashley the passion of the fans was still there.  My first jersey was Jonas.  Love that guy.  Newcastle is a drug.  The highs are incredible.

Grandfather is Scottish, but spent some time in the Durham mines as a lad before emigrating to New Zealand so always maintained a passing interest in the club - even now at 93.

What really sparked it was FM 2005, which I got hooked on as a 14 year old and played as Newcastle because of the family connection (Starting off with all the Woodgate money made it fun introduction) combined with NZ satellite TV showing more and more Premier League games. 

Naturally just as I properly immersed myself in it all over the next couple of years, Ashley came along.

Edited by Pandamninator

Born in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1987.

Old man was offshore at the time and the old dear went into labor earlier than expected, those were the days when there was only like 1 or 2 flights a week to and from the rig so he was stuck offshore for like 6 days after I was born.

His back to back flew out and during their handover he gave my dad a newcastle babygrow and bib, been a Toon fan since then, old man is a Spurs fan through and through and never once asked or tried to push them onto me, every birthday and xmas I always got Newcastle kits, training gear whatever through the good and the bad times!

Thank fuck he never pushed them onto me now haha

From Motherwell in Scotland. However my grandmother is English and is a bit of a Geordie I think… some of her family stay there down in Whitley Bay and are Newcastle fans. Fly from Newcastle for holidays quite often and played a few  football tournaments when I was younger also. So having been to a handful of games etc. I fell in love with the stadium and became totally obsessed with the club ever since as was my first English team I watched live. 
Me and the family came down for a few days in October for the horse racing and the Everton game this season was a great 3 days, Miggys goal WOW.

Edited by ToonScotman

3 hours ago, danielk104 said:

Born in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1987.

Old man was offshore at the time and the old dear went into labor earlier than expected, those were the days when there was only like 1 or 2 flights a week to and from the rig so he was stuck offshore for like 6 days after I was born.

His back to back flew out and during their handover he gave my dad a newcastle babygrow and bib, been a Toon fan since then, old man is a Spurs fan through and through and never once asked or tried to push them onto me, every birthday and xmas I always got Newcastle kits, training gear whatever through the good and the bad times!

Thank fuck he never pushed them onto me now haha

Get in, this is exactly why I’m sending out Newcastle baby gear to all my international mates having kids these days. 

i worked for a guy from newcastle at a local bike shop,back when i started racing,1986 or so. i had always watched the world cups and international football,after the 90 world cup in italy,he started to get me interested in club football,started following newcastle when keegan started coaching,it helped  beardsley was playing for them,because he played (was one of my fav players ) for vancouver back in the day.  anyway i got him into hockey and he got me into newcastle united,when he and and his wife went back to newcastle for a holiday,he brought me back an asics blue star newcastle top.  :)  the rest is history,lol.

In 1996, when I was thirteen, me and four friends were going to a shop to buy football shirts. My friends supports Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle and since I didn't really support a team they all started explaining why I should support their team and get their shirt. 

I don't remember what the Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U fan said, but my Newcastle supporting fan told me about Shearer and I vividly remember him saying "and they don't win all the time" (as opposed to the others I guess) and in hindsight that turned out to be the biggest understatement in the history of the world :lol:

I liked the part about Shearer and I think I liked the idea if supporting the same team as that friend rather than the other three, so from that day I was a Newcastle supporter. 

I still give my friend stick about that winning all the time comment, but looks like that is in the past now :Jonny2J::indi:

Despite the Ashley years and everything I'm still very happy Newcastle happened to be the team I chose back then. I read this forum every day and It's a big part of my life. I also like the fact that Newcastle fans are more rare (I've met like three in my city). That makes it more interesting once you meet one, as opposed to Liverpool or Man U fans which are everywhere. 

/Peppe

Edited by Peppe

#shearer.

I started really getting into football in euro 96. I'm from Nottinghamshire and wanted to be different. 

My dad supports arsenal and mum west ham as they a southerners. I chose the furthest premier league club i could choose from their teams.

I love an underdog. 

I'm a contrary cunt. 

Edited by La Parka

Born in Sutton (91') but moved up to the West Midlands when I was 5. Didn’t have an affinity with either area growing up. Dad supports Everton but thankfully didn’t try to influence me.

Earliest memory of the club were the CL games in 97/98. Shearer, Rob Lee, Speed and co. From then on it just kinda happened. :lol: Dad took me to my first game in ‘02 (Shearer’s volley vs the Ev). Attended far too many Newcastle/Everton fixtures over the next 10 years.

Things got worse when I signed up here in 2011.* Though it's my favourite season in terms of attending games. Ba destroying Stoke, Hatem, Ba and Cisse tearing up WBA and then Cisse’s double at Swansea. First ever derby, too. (1-1) :anguish:  Returning to SJP for the first time in 8 years to continue my glory hunting will be some moment.

*This place is largely at fault for the love I have for this club. 

we’re superior fans as we chose to support.

Didn‘t know anything about Newcastle until Marc Hottiger joined them. In Switzerland they showed a tv documentary about the club and the supporters which made me fall in love. Never stopped watching and supporting them since ❤️

Edited by Swissmag

I'm from Malaysia, started following EPL since 1990 , fall in love with The Entertainers , and then idolized Shearer, always watching and supporting Newcastle , except a few years where i'm so fed up of Ashley and stop watching for a few of years. Hopefully i'll be able to visit St. James Park in the future