Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Just now, Jordan said:

Really don’t want Gordon. Will really struggle to warm to him ala Colback when he signed for us. I’ve also never seen anything from him that would indicate he’s worth £35-50m

Any English footballer who can breathe is worth £30m.

Giving his mentality it seems strange we’re after him to be honest. Doesn’t seem to fit the ED criteria. Obviously any player who does sign we’ll always have faith that ED will do a job. Can only wait and see, but it seems at least over the next two or three days there’ll be one or two signings .

9 minutes ago, 54 said:

Can I ask, who cares? Transfer fee's are hyper inflated these days. Leeds just signed a striker for £30m from Hoffenheim wo has a 1 in 6 goal return. Transfer fee's are meaningless.

I suspect the furore is more to do with taking the amount we'd be spending on Gordon (sounds like potentially anywhere from 25-40m) away from the perceived needs for RB cover and a quality creative CM, rather than the actual amount. That said, nobody knows our exact finances with respect to ffp and what we truly have in the pot to spend this month etc

1 minute ago, Jordan said:

Really don’t want Gordon. Will really struggle to warm to him ala Colback when he signed for us. I’ve also never seen anything from him that would indicate he’s worth £35-50m

Yeah but Colback SUUUUUUUCKED.

Gordon has genuine potential.

Just now, Geordie Boyo said:

Giving his mentality it seems strange we’re after him to be honest. Doesn’t seem to fit the ED criteria. Obviously any player who does sign we’ll always have faith that ED will do a job. Can only wait and see, but it seems at least over the next two or three days there’ll be one or two signings .

Depends why he behaves like a dick. If he does it because he really cares and wants to win, that could easily be redirected in a positive way by Eddie and Mad Dog. 

Just now, Keegans Export said:

Looking at his numbers on fbref you can see why Eddie might fancy it - not dissimilar to both Miggy and Jack Harrison who we know we were interested in.

Anthony Gordon (fbref)

Aye as a left back he will be superb. Tackling and radging around giving away freekicks. Not that we need to unlock teams or anything cause we have scored massive amounts of goals the last games and not squandered any chances in the final third. Gordon is not what we need at all.

I think we probably need to accept that we will be buying a lot of people who are fit, fast and good at pressing. 

Of course we need creativity and guile too, but that won't be the primary criteria, especially not at this point in our development. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He'll really be out on his own hair-wise, most of our squad are more on the conventional neat hair side.

[emoji38] Matt Targett will help him tone it down a touch, saying that Schar will be having none of it!

it’ll be like joining the marines, first thing, in the chair and a buzz cut. Eddie explaining hairodynamics!

Edited by PauloGeordio

22 minutes ago, 1892er said:

You'd think some people are buying him with their own money :lol:

The debatable issue is if the amount of funds available is limited, due to FFP, actual funds available or whatever, is whether spending X on player A or Y on player B helps the team more. In isolation, a deal for £25m for Anthony Gordon might be a good shout.

But if we have an amount of money, then spending a chunk of that money on Anthony Gordon which then precludes us from then signing James Maddison because we then don't have enough left to pay is what I dislike. This is the either/or argument, it has nothing to do with player similarity or position. Purely from a budget and positional priority perspective.

1 minute ago, HawK said:

The debatable issue is if the amount of funds available is limited, due to FFP, actual funds available or whatever, is whether spending X on player A or Y on player B helps the team more. In isolation, a deal for £25m for Anthony Gordon might be a good shout.

But if we have an amount of money, then spending a chunk of that money on Anthony Gordon which then precludes us from then signing James Maddison because we then don't have enough left to pay is what I dislike. This is the either/or argument, it has nothing to do with player similarity or position. Purely from a budget and positional priority perspective.

We’ve got some sponsorship chunks up and coming to go into the mix also.

1 minute ago, HawK said:

understand the sentiment but people said that when we signed pope.

ie "we don't need a goalkeeper we should spend that money elsewhere"

2 weeks later we splashed 60m on Isak.