Anthony Gordon

Jack27

The only thing that could derail it is the pure chaos currently oozing out of every pore at Everton. Are they for sale or not? I know Moshiri said not but that's probably because their sale value is at an all time low

9 minutes ago, Nine said:

It’s a nice idea to imagine we keep the Gordon money and Maxi turns into a pressing maniac whos no longer prone to muscle injuries but it’s unlikely to happen like that. Maxi has explosive pace but I don’t see him built for an intense press for 60+ mins, hes being used as a 70 minute sub probably because that’s how he’s most effective in this side. He comes on against tired legs and when the need to press is reduced, he pins back his right back because they are scared of his speed and ability to go past them. Maxi is great for that role and wether he stays depends on if he’s happy with not starting as many games imo, Gordon offers something entirely more suited to starting in our current set up.

Some legs look a bit tired lately to me, just highlights the need for depth even more. We need to build a squad capable of an extended schedule by next season which is why we seem to be pushing late in the window for an extra (potential starter) body. Gordon would be an important signing at this stage, 60m is steep but likely isn’t accurate. 

I think Maxi is not in the starting lineup right now solely because Howe is being loyal to the lineup that's doing so unbelievably well. All things being equal, Maxi's one of the first names on the teamsheet. He's slimmed down a lot since his early-season injury, and he looks just as good as before, but hopefully now without that extra timber he can be a bit more involved in the defensive work too.

That said, as I said in his thread, with Burn and Joelinton on the left I do think there's a spot for him there even if he doesn't do as much defensively as they can more than cover for him.

2 minutes ago, HawK said:

I think Maxi is not in the starting lineup right now solely because Howe is being loyal to the lineup that's doing so unbelievably well. All things being equal, Maxi's one of the first names on the teamsheet. He's slimmed down a lot since his early-season injury, and he looks just as good as before, but hopefully now without that extra timber he can be a bit more involved in the defensive work too.

That said, as I said in his thread, with Burn and Joelinton on the left I do think there's a spot for him there even if he doesn't do as much defensively as they can more than cover for him.

I think what both of you had written is true; I absolutely think you’re right that Howe’s style is to be loyal to a side which hasn’t lost, but also I think it’s likely that Nine’s point re impact sub is true also

4 minutes ago, HawK said:

I think Maxi is not in the starting lineup right now solely because Howe is being loyal to the lineup that's doing so unbelievably well.

Think we will know if this is the case for sure on Tuesday. Given how things turned the other night with their introduction, ASM and Isak should both be in from the start on Tuesday. 

It's a tough one, we're repeatedly outperforming every opponent we face (bar the Arsenal game) so I don't think there's a great deal to change. We literally just need to start finishing our chances. ASM or Isak aint replacing either Willock or Longstaff, two of the biggest wasters in the side.

It's about balance though. We're controlling games and very solid defensively with the current system, but not scoring a lot because we don't have enough finishing quality in forward areas or the chances being created aren't of a high enough quality. A high XG doesn't mean much when chances are falling to Joelinton or they are the result of accumulation of lots of minor chances.

I think the system needs tweaking even if it is to the detriment of our solidity. If 0-0s start stacking up that is likely to see us start to slip down the table.

20 minutes ago, HawK said:

I agree that Howe likes to stay loyal to a well performing starting 11, I don’t see that changing and rightfully so as it’s working. 

Burn and Joe covering the left is a fair point and will offer more flexibility on who we play LW, it’s just for me I do not see Maxis attributes as optimal for starting consistently in this system regardless of who is around him. I feel there’s a lot more to be gained from a Gordon type for the first 60 mins of a game than there is from Maxi, I like him alot and would love him to stay but time will tell on that. His injury record really isn’t in his favour either, extended minutes at a high intensity will just invite injuries.. I think he came into this season with to much size and like you say has slimmed down again which is fair enough.

57 minutes ago, Nine said:

It’s a nice idea to imagine we keep the Gordon money and Maxi turns into a pressing maniac whos no longer prone to muscle injuries but it’s unlikely to happen like that. Maxi has explosive pace but I don’t see him built for an intense press for 60+ mins, hes being used as a 70 minute sub probably because that’s how he’s most effective in this side. He comes on against tired legs and when the need to press is reduced, he pins back his right back because they are scared of his speed and ability to go past them. Maxi is great for that role and wether he stays depends on if he’s happy with not starting as many games imo, Gordon offers something entirely more suited to starting in our current set up.

Some legs look a bit tired lately to me, just highlights the need for depth even more. We need to build a squad capable of an extended schedule by next season which is why we seem to be pushing late in the window for an extra (potential starter) body. Gordon would be an important signing at this stage, 60m is steep but likely isn’t accurate. 

Agreed. Maxi is supremely talented, but the high press is not his natural game, whereas for Gordon it is. I read some stats that Gordon makes twice as many tackles as Almiron, which is mind-boggling considering Miggy is one of our best players to apply pressure to his opponents.

Gordon isn't going to be as spectacular as Maxi, but he is going to fit Howe's style of play to a tee. I can see why we might be keen, especially as he's still only 21.

Hahaha, he's completely torpedoed them by doing this, he's made his position there almost untenable. At this point we need to stop answering the phone to Everton and look elsewhere until their price drops to about £5m. :lol:

Or he can be rightly pissed off if they are asking for silly money refusing to let him go. Then I can understand he’s doing what he can. This is coming from me who dislikes the 2D faced cunt. 

5 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Hahaha, he's completely torpedoed them by doing this, he's made his position there almost untenable. At this point we need to stop answering the phone to Everton and look elsewhere until their price drops to about £5m. :lol:

If the price came down to £5m my whole perspective on this transfer would change :lol: 

Can't say I was excited by the prospect of Gordon, especially when Maddison seemed like the first choice. But I trust our recruitment process, and if he's who they want, there must be a reason for it.

He's a promising young player, getting no game time in a team that's in a relegation battle, while good club is currently a complete cluster fuck and over valuing him, can't say i'd blame him for feeling disillusioned there right now.