Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Just now, Theregulars said:

It's also worth remembering, aside from the other clubs interested, that he was given game time by Ancelotti and Rafa (regularly by the latter) as well as being wanted by Howe. That's some endorsement.

I reckon we have asked Rafa in detail about him.

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Because that's the direction they think is best for the team.

I'm not saying they are wrong, and I'm not saying Gordon will be a bad signing. What I am saying is that I personally would prefer to have a different type of player rather than someone who in style is quite similar to what we have.

I just like variety, Ginola and Gillespie were great as they had completely different strengths and styles whereas now we can replace Miggy with Murphy and style wise it doesn't give the full back anything new to worry about (unless they crumble under a wave). All about opinions

At the moment, beyond ASM and Almiron, we have absolutely nothing on the wings. Murphy, Ritchie, Fraser, Joelinton might all try hard, but they just can't cut it at the level we're at. Gordon is leagues above any of those, and can be pushing ASM/Almiron for their starting places. He's young and hungry.

I agree we have bigger holes to fill in our starting XI, at the moment that's Longstaff's position, assuming Joelinton drops into the middle again once ASM returns to the left wing.

Can't get mad about this signing the more I think about it tbh.

2 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

The kid is going to be excellent for us. It’s why I invested so heavily in this being my first (of many) successful threads. 

I am taking that to mean you have bought some Gordon inspired trousers and fashion statements.

If its a structured deal, where its payments over X period, as well as containing certain add-ons, then £45m is a probably a decent deal, especially if he's here for a prolonged period of time.

He's not a signing that gets the blood pumping, but feel like it'll be a very smart one long term.

ASM, Gordon, Isak, Wilson, Almirón, and Murphy is starting to look like the forward pool of a proper, proper club. One of those is not like the others, but would be fine as an emergency option, should the makeup of the squad allow it.

Diaby or similar in the summer and we're laughing.

4 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Because that's the direction they think is best for the team.

I'm not saying they are wrong, and I'm not saying Gordon will be a bad signing. What I am saying is that I personally would prefer to have a different type of player rather than someone who in style is quite similar to what we have.

I just like variety, Ginola and Gillespie were great as they had completely different strengths and styles whereas now we can replace Miggy with Murphy and style wise it doesn't give the full back anything new to worry about (unless they crumble under a wave). All about opinions

You missed the point I was making.

I'm saying there is no evidence whatsoever that they are prioritising Gordon over anyone else, and that they may well have been after the other type of player as well. Ultimately they are going to do the deals that match the valuations they are happy with, and so the other types might just not be readily available for what they deem feasible right now.

It’s been said a million times, but I trust Howe/Ashworth etc.

The former has proven what he can do with players who looked downtrodden and not worthy of the shirt.

The latter has been involved in recruiting some belting prospects/players over the years. 

I’m not sure on the price, but English player tax etc etc. 

Given Everton’s performances this season overall it’s not surprising he hasn’t looked good. However in the Merseyside derby he looked bloody good. Fits our style of play, and he’s one of those cunts you hate when they’re on opposite teams, but when he’s your player, it’s quality to have that arsehole in your team, ala Bellamy. 

One point I'd also make is that (while I don't yet know the structure of the deal and what amount is payable depending on things happening), Arsenal got one hell of a deal on Trossard by comparison (if all figures to be believed). I'd have definitely paid the same amount for Trossard.

Just now, Theregulars said:

One point I'd also make is that (while I don't yet know the structure of the deal and what amount is payable depending on things happening), Arsenal got one hell of a deal on Trossard by comparison (if all figures to be believed). I'd have definitely paid the same amount for Trossard.

Six months left though, innit?

5 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Somewhat surprised Fraser isn’t involved in any deal as a makeweight.

I’d honestly forgotten about him. I bet he’s on good wages given he signed on a free. 

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

We do also have to recognise that there are some clubs who players still prefer to sign for if they are in for the same ones we are looking at. Arsenal are one of them.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You missed the point I was making.

I'm saying there is no evidence whatsoever that they are prioritising Gordon over anyone else, and that they may well have been after the other type of player as well. Ultimately they are going to do the deals that match the valuations they are happy with, and so the other types might just not be readily available for what they deem feasible right now.

There is evidence that Gordon is our #1 priority.

Whether that is true or not, we don't know. But the evidence suggests Gordon is our main man for this January.. ahead of other business.

We could have a Isak or Bruno type breaking news

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Fraser was quality under Howe last season. I think most had him starting on the right ahead of both Miggy and Murphy.

Quality is a bit much. He was alright. :lol:

15 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Remember 4 years ago when there was a bit of a buzz about us being set to spend more than £16m for the first time ever. :lol:

Spending nearly 3x that on potential now.

[emoji38]

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

We do also have to recognise that there are some clubs who players still prefer to sign for if they are in for the same ones we are looking at. Arsenal are one of them.

Oh, absolutely. Was just saying I wish we'd have been interested - maybe we were but never got far as he knew Arsenal were keen. I reckon Arsenal pounced quickly, and rightly so, great addition to the squad.