Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Can quibble about the price, but he’s got all the attributes you’d expect us to be after given how we play. He’s a workhorse, he’s rapid, he loves a physical battle, and he does his fair share of defensive work. 

If he can improve his end product a bit £45m could look a snip. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

I know Howe will want the competition for places and his youth is a big appeal regardless, but I do wonder if this is Stage 1 in Operation Goodbye Maxi. 

Thats my worry, I think it does point to that. Maxi is already back up, and we have brought in someone in his position for 45m.

So I know nothing about this person but based on some googling, seems that he’s a decent player that people don’t like because he has a reputation as a complete dickhead.

Good thing we’re bringing him into the best team culture in the league then? I can’t imagine we’d be paying this much for him unless management had considered the risks and determined that a lot of his problems are just the product of him being in a shitty environment.

Between signing Anthony Gordon for £45m, or signing no-one at all, I know which one gives us a better chance of finishing in the top 4. If Almiron or ASM get crocked again we're fked. This lad can do what's needed and seemingly fit right in to our high-tempo, high-pressing, shithousing machine of a team without a hiccup.

Between him and Murphy/Fraser/Ritchie starting wide for one of ASM or Almiron, I know which one I'd choose every time. Is it helping to strengthen the weakest part of our team? Obviously not. But signing depth in positions where we drop off a cliff in quality after the first XI can be just as important as plugging a gap in the first XI if there isn't a suitable player for the right price at the time.

In Dan Ashworth we trust.

Welcome to the toon lad, I hope you do well and are given a warm welcome by all.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I know Howe will want the competition for places and his youth is a big appeal regardless, but I do wonder if this is Stage 1 in Operation Goodbye Maxi. 

Cabaye to Colback levels if he's the replacement.

Just now, mikejaxer said:

Hard to understand the crack about FFP and not wanting to budge until it hits our evaluation then we just go and pay 40m for Gordon.

Is it? Really?

It's fucking bollocks, man. :lol:

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

I think there's less risk in this deal than people think. In three years he's still only 24 and English.

If he's awesome after some Howe coaching then we've won big time and could sell him for significantly more if we wanted to. If he's solid with some highs and lows and we continue to progress and bring in players past his level we'll probably get our money back in a couple years. In the worst case scenario where he really struggles and is mostly a squad player we probably still get roughly half the fee back from whoever the Nottingham Forest is in 2025/2026.

Yeah.  Young and english is about as safe as you can get in FFP terms

It's attacking reinforcements that can (most likely, at first anyway) come off the bench with a bit of energy. It's a homegrown player for the quota. In today's market it's not all that expensive for the potential we're hoping to be fulfilled. 

For as much as I've hated the little fucker every time I've watched him, it's time to get behind him.

I wonder how long it will take to get used to spending £40m on players that we don't feel the need to hope is our Lord and saviour. :lol: 

6 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Weghorst levels of fume in bound when they spend the £40m on a crop of exciting Brazilian prospects.

Doesnt blow me away but excited to see what he can do in Eddie’s system.

Dyche will spend it on Jay Rodriguez and Alan Barnes.

We've got to trust Howe, Gordon has a strong work ethic which will suit him and howe will be the best coach he's worked under.

If someone said to me we would lose wood and get gordon for a net outlay of £25m I'd have bitten their hand off

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

I'm intrigued. Excited to see where all this goes. Hopefully the first 40 pages of this thread will make hilarious reading in a few years.

Exactly where I’m at.

Came across as a cunt with something about him. If Howe and Ashworth see something in him then thats good enough for me