Anthony Gordon

Jack27

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

Serious question - is there any reason why we wouldn't put him on an 8 year deal?

Strategies like these are often devised months before transfer window actually starts and you are not gonna start doing it because Chelsea did it 5 days ago without understanding full implications of it down the line and implementing proper strategies for it.

We would possibly do it in the summer, but chances are that that strategy might be banned by summer already.

18 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Eye-wateringly high price but that'll be the British premium. 

It's an exciting signing imo. Young, promising, English players tend not to leave the likes of Everton unless it's to the established challengers, so I'm as much revelling in what this indicates about NUFC as I am the signing itself. 

Looking forward to seeing what Howe can do with him. 

We're going to need homegrown players where we're going though. Agewise, a number of the ones we have, Trippier, Dan Burn, Wilson, will need replacing in a year or two. Another couple of years and possibly Pope too. Ideally, we get a number of transfers in young like Kuol so they qualify regardless of where they are from.

Since Gordon is right footed, I wonder if he's seen as a potential right wingback we'd play post Trippier. Dropping a winger back in there is the trendy thing to do.

Pros

Young, with loads of potential

Can play both sides or in behind

Already better than Murphy and Fraser and will continue to improve

Grafts his balls off and will buy into the press

Cons 

Seems like a steep fee

His diving and antics at Everton got on my nerves (I know, I know, we're shithouses too)

His dish will be a sharp contrast to the likes of Schar, Botman and Wilson

Jeez, just seeing this. £40m base fee + another 5 in add-ons.

Surely in Madison territory at that fee. Myabe we tried for JM and were rebuffed?

But, if he's a player EH wants, then gotta hope he (Gordon) does the business and repays the faith and can overcome a lot of fans, myself included.

Don't have any concerns about him as a player, I thought he looked great last season and this season I think it's impossible to look good in that side under Lampard. Do worry about Weil's disease but it's a risk I'm willing to take

Just now, TK-421 said:

Jeez, just seeing this. £40m base fee + another 5 in add-ons.

Surely in Madison territory at that fee. Myabe we tried for JM and were rebuffed?

But, if he's a player EH wants, then gotta hope he (Gordon) does the business and repays the faith and can overcome a lot of fans, myself included.

Add at least another £20m for Maddison

2 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

He’s basically Everton’s crown jewel, no? This is a massive statement IMO. 

This is like (not the same as) when we got Ferdinand off QPR, we now have the power to walk up to an established club and rip away their prized assets.

We're in the big leagues, lads.

Great signing this one… is he better than what we’ve got in the overall squad, definitely….

Remember when we signed Joey Barton, no one had more baggage than him and he ended up quite popular didn’t he…

Gordon will be one of those players you love to have in your own team but can’t stand him playing against you…

Things just keep getting better at this club… Howay the Lads!!!!!!!

Just now, kocunar said:

Strategies like these are often devised months before transfer window actually starts and you are not gonna start doing it because Chelsea did it 5 days ago without understanding full implications of it down the line and implementing proper strategies for it.

We would possibly do it in the summer, but chances are that that strategy might be banned by summer already.

It's almost certainly going to be banned in the summer, which is why we should be doing it. And they didn't start doing it 5 days ago - they've been doing it all month. Possible we don't think it's worth the risk for £3m/year.

Just now, HawK said:

This is like (not the same as) when we got Ferdinand off QPR, we now have the power to walk up to an established club and rip away their prized assets.

We're in the big leagues, lads.

Feels nowt like that, tbh. 

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Don't really understand why. He's 21 and this is the last chance to copy Chelsea before they change the rules.

Because the risk is that he turns into a dud or a sick note and we’re stuck paying the fucker into the 2030s.